Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 419 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
The chart below was posted by the Detroit Free Press last week (https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/04/25/dodge-challenger-camaro-mustang-sports-cars/3495485002/).

Impressive numbers for a model that has only had tweeks to styling since being introduced in 2008.

However, the Mustang and Camaro are Sports Cars, and Ford and Chevy market them as such. I don't know why writers keep trying to compare them.

https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
Mustang is designed to custom-fit the way you drive, down to the last detail. From the look of the instrument panel to the sound of its growl to the way it feels tackling a curve, this legend was born to make your own. Plus, Mustang is the 2018 Highest Ranked Midsize Sporty Car in Initial Quality.

What the heck is a sporty Car?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-sports-car
There’s nothing quite like the thrill of getting behind the wheel of a sports car. And when that car is a redesigned 2019 Camaro — from the athletic LS to the track-ready ZL1 — that feeling reaches legendary levels thanks to bold new looks, renowned performance and enhanced technology.

·
Super Moderator
12,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Because they each have 2 doors with back seats, RWD (usually), optional big horsepower V8s (All seem to go head to head in their outputs), manual or automatic transmission choices, somewhat similar pony car proportions (Long hood short deck), a lot of buyers cross-shop the 3, and they have a long history of competing against each other, going back to Trans Am and showroom stock car racing in the 70s. If the Challenger isn't a competitor to the Ford and Chevy offerings, I don't see what else in the lineup could be. The Charger is more of a class of it's own if anything.

Unfortunately I don't think the performance/muscle/pony coupe whatever you want to call it segment is big enough that we can divide it into sub-sections, or ignore the similarities.

·
Registered
148 Posts
However, the Mustang and Camaro are Sports Cars, and Ford and Chevy market them as such. I don't know why writers keep trying to compare them.
RWL11,

Despite the differences in size, I think a significant percentage of the people who shop for one of the “pony cars” gives consideration to the other two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Waking this thread up.....I have fingers crossed that they keep the 1320 option for 2020 and change nothing but maybe the 392 to a 426! Also hope they stay with the front/back end since it is 50 year anniversary, even if it does look like a '71.
Had the dealer fill out a configuration for me but getting this late in the year I figure I will roll the dice and wait and hope that at least they make a 1320 and if not I will scrounge the dealers for one close enough once known what they are really doing. About 15-20 1320's on dealer lots in a 150 mile radius of me.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am waiting as well for the 2020 announcements and hoping that they keep F8 green and maybe a 426 option or some other cool things like different wheels and such. I still haunt the new car search sites for the perfect of close to perfect configuration that would make me pull the trigger on a cat without waiting. Glad that hasn’t fell into my lap so the wait continues

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered my 1320 this past April and I was told that sometime in May is the cut-off point for a factory order, it may be too late already? Also, I heard that they might redesign the challenger in 2020 or 2021? Better hurry and get something. I luv my 1320 with no back seat. Steve

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
I ordered my 1320 this past April and I was told that sometime in May is the cut-off point for a factory order, it may be too late already? Also, I heard that they might redesign the challenger in 2020 or 2021? Better hurry and get something. I luv my 1320 with no back seat. Steve
Cut off normally late May but this year 2019 will run late so still can order for probably a few more months. 2020 production does not begin till Nov 18 so probably be New Year before you see one.

They'll probably be a front and rear refresh, wouldn't expect anything major.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Cut off normally late May but this year 2019 will run late so still can order for probably a few more months. 2020 production does not begin till Nov 18 so probably be New Year before you see one.

They'll probably be a front and rear refresh, wouldn't expect anything major.
Slidd,
Is this mid-Nov production-start a normal thing? Seems kinda late in the year to begin the new model run. We were guessing that we'd see an available 426 next year. What saith your crystal ball?

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
Slidd,

Is this mid-Nov production-start a normal thing? Seems kinda late in the year to begin the new model run. We were guessing that we'd see an available 426 next year. What saith your crystal ball?
No, very unusual and may be the latest ever so that's why many are thinking something big will be coming for 2020. Last thing RS said was that the 426 was coming but since then Dodge will be on it's 3rd chief so who knows. Without a refresh about all they can do is add power so I'm still thinking the 426 will probably happen and they'll use the extra time to get some 19's sold and get ready. Looks like Charger is going Widebody and maybe Redeye so no sign of looking back, 2020 could be the best year ever but tough not knowing. And you can look at it this way, the silencing of the insiders could be the best clue that the 426 is coming, the last thing FCA would need right now in a slow year is all the 426 info getting out with 6 more months of 2019 left. So clear as mud right?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
No, very unusual and may be the latest ever so that's why many are thinking something big will be coming for 2020. Last thing RS said was that the 426 was coming but since then Dodge will be on it's 3rd chief so who knows. Without a refresh about all they can do is add power so I'm still thinking the 426 will probably happen and they'll use the extra time to get some 19's sold and get ready. Looks like Charger is going Widebody and maybe Redeye so no sign of looking back, 2020 could be the best year ever but tough not knowing. And you can look at it this way, the silencing of the insiders could be the best clue that the 426 is coming, the last thing FCA would need right now in a slow year is all the 426 info getting out with 6 more months of 2019 left. So clear as mud right?

This is kind of what I'm thinking also, I don't have any inside information but why all the secrecy and late model year change over unless something big is coming? I was leaning toward possibly getting a 1320 package this year but I'm pretty happy with my current ride so figure at this point I'm just going to wait a few more months and see what turns up for 2020. Fingers crossed for a 426 Hemi :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Ya musta read my mind. A late (projected) new model start date and strange silence form the FCA camp = maybe you be right. I do know this one thing: if Dodge makes the 426 available this year, they're gonna sell a bunch of them. Hey Slidd, ya 'member the Demon advertising campaign? Remember the snippets and clues given on TV adds? Wonder if we'll see something like that before the 426 actually debuts?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Ya musta read my mind. A late (projected) new model start date and strange silence form the FCA camp = maybe you be right. I do know this one thing: if Dodge makes the 426 available this year, they're gonna sell a bunch of them. Hey Slidd, ya 'member the Demon advertising campaign? Remember the snippets and clues given on TV adds? Wonder if we'll see something like that before the 426 actually debuts?
Agreed. I still doubt the 426 but if it shows that’s enough to get me to buy new.

It’s about the only thing that would push me toward trading my TO 392.

Extra points if Toxic Orange makes a return.

41 - 60 of 419 Posts
About this Discussion
418 Replies
75 Participants
chlngr1970
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing