Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I want to change the speaker setup on my RT but not sure what way to go. For now I just want to change the factory installed speakers and maybe later on get a stealth box installed..Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,005 Posts
Do you have the 6 speaker base audio package or the 6 speaker Alpine system with factory amp, or what?

What you have now will factor in on the best way to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I agree with @kwkride - for the money, it's hard to beat that Kenwood set for overall sound quality and ease of installation. They drop right in and sound great for the price.

A lot of "normal" 6x9's will not fit into the OEM door pods used in these Challengers - you either need a "slim" 6x9 or you will have to do significant modifications to get them installed.

The Kenwood 6x9 midbass speaker included in that set fit like a glove and perform very well to boot.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,005 Posts
The 6 speaker base
You should have 3.5” (8 ohm 15w) in the dash, 6”x9” (4 ohm 15w) in the door, and 6.5” (4 ohm 15w) in the rear deck.

NOTE: the dash and door speakers are wired in parallel on the front channels, and each front channel will have an effect nominal impedance of 2.67 ohm at the head-unit, with the door speakers getting the majority of the watts sent down the channel.

You will want to look for replacement speakers with similar nominal impedance values or if shopping for composites for the dash/door, their overall listed impedance should be 3-4 ohm. (The Kenwood component set mentioned above is 4 ohm IIRC).

Speakers that have a lower RMS wattage will be a good fit when using the factory head-unit as the amplifying source, as is obvious by the factory speakers’ listed wattage of 15w. If you ever plan on adding an amp to power the speakers, a higher RMS wattage on the speakers will be desirable, but they may not sound the best while still powered by the factory head-unit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed the Kenwood set in my 2018 with base 6 speaker. They sounded ok powered off of the 7 inch Uconnect. I can't say they sounded great because they were certainly under powered and when I added a sub, the radio power wasn't enough to keep up with the bass.

I would say any speaker in these cars would leave a little to be desired since the Uconnect has factory EQ curves and bass rolloff. If you go with an amp integration module like the PAC or iDatalink and aftermarket amp for the speakers you will see how great the entire system can sound. It all starts with the speakers though.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
69 Posts
Like LoBurnham mentioned, more power would be nice. If your decide later to take your upgrade farther, I also installed the Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP. It integrates with the factory system and provides you with 75 watts RMS x 6 and includes a built in DSP with equalizer.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
217 Posts
I too replaced all six speakers with the Kenwood Excelon 6903c set for the door and dash and the X174’s for the rear. Everything dropped in easy, the X174’s just needed the included adapters. Very pleased with the sound, and will probably grab the P-XR600-DSP soon.

Reactions: kwkride
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.