Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smelled a little burnt oil yesterday then saw a small drop on the garage floor. Put the car on ramps and took off the plastic shield to inspect the filter. Saw a little oil on the outside surface of the filter but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Wiped it off and made sure it was tight. I changed the oil at 1500 miles and was conscious about making sure the oil filter seal was not stuck to the block. After more visual inspection tonight I noticed a small oil stain on the passenger side valve cover. It also looks like there's oil residue between the small covers and both valve covers. See pic. I plan to get it back to the dealer.. is there any need to take my catch can off and put it back to stock?
I've done a few searches.. anyone else seeing leaks around very low mileage 6.4s?
Thanks

20190930_194423.jpg
20190930_194351.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Smelled a little burnt oil yesterday then saw a small drop on the garage floor. Put the car on ramps and took off the plastic shield to inspect the filter. Saw a little oil on the outside surface of the filter but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Wiped it off and made sure it was tight. I changed the oil at 1500 miles and was conscious about making sure the oil filter seal was not stuck to the block. After more visual inspection tonight I noticed a small oil stain on the passenger side valve cover. It also looks like there's oil residue between the small covers and both valve covers. See pic. I plan to get it back to the dealer.. is there any need to take my catch can off and put it back to stock?
I've done a few searches.. anyone else seeing leaks around very low mileage 6.4s?
Thanks

The oil on top of the coil pack looks like oil that dripped off of the dip stick when you were checking the oil. Hit it with some brake kleen and watch it for a bit. I have had a catch can on mine since the first month of owning it and the Dealer says nothing. It is a beneficial mod.

Reactions: RWL11

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Thanks
Hi Brokenbones,
We're sorry to hear about your experience with your Challenger. If you need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send our team a private message.
Alex
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll find time to remove the coil packs and do some more visual inspection this afternoon. It is a bit weird if it's the oil filter since its been 1000 miles since I changed it.. it was hot but it felt tight..

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'll find time to remove the coil packs and do some more visual inspection this afternoon. It is a bit weird if it's the oil filter since its been 1000 miles since I changed it.. it was hot but it felt tight..
I would not remove the coil packs unless the problem returns. It looks like the oil dripped off of the dip stick when you pulled it to check the level. (pretty common) Just spray with brake kleen and make sure it's clean....and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks
HEYYY! I purchased a 2019 challenger wide body scat pack r/t 6.4 and at 1100 miles had oil everywhere near the rear seal also!!! I have had it to the dealer once and it is now back again as its leaking worse! What the hell is up with this! Paid over 60k to have this car made to my liking and it leaks at 1100 miles . All the dealerships act like its something they have never seen or heard about and there are posts and stories all over!! DodgeCares you guys gotta do something about this? I mean whats next replace the engine? Awful. So disappointed!

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
HEYYY! I purchased a 2019 challenger wide body scat pack r/t 6.4 and at 1100 miles had oil everywhere near the rear seal also!!! I have had it to the dealer once and it is now back again as its leaking worse! What the hell is up with this! Paid over 60k to have this car made to my liking and it leaks at 1100 miles . All the dealerships act like its something they have never seen or heard about and there are posts and stories all over!! @DODGE you guys gotta do something about this? I mean whats next replace the engine? Awful. So disappointed!
Welcome to the forum. Disappointing your first interaction with this community is a negative one.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
700 Posts
HEYYY! I purchased a 2019 challenger wide body scat pack r/t 6.4 and at 1100 miles had oil everywhere near the rear seal also!!! I have had it to the dealer once and it is now back again as its leaking worse! What the hell is up with this! Paid over 60k to have this car made to my liking and it leaks at 1100 miles . All the dealerships act like its something they have never seen or heard about and there are posts and stories all over!! @DODGE you guys gotta do something about this? I mean whats next replace the engine? Awful. So disappointed!
Sorry to hear this as I have a 2019 SC as well. Please keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You need to escalate to corporate if they are not taking care of you at the dealership

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
HEYYY! I purchased a 2019 challenger wide body scat pack r/t 6.4 and at 1100 miles had oil everywhere near the rear seal also!!! I have had it to the dealer once and it is now back again as its leaking worse! What the hell is up with this! Paid over 60k to have this car made to my liking and it leaks at 1100 miles . All the dealerships act like its something they have never seen or heard about and there are posts and stories all over!! DodgeCares you guys gotta do something about this? I mean whats next replace the engine? Awful. So disappointed!
Seal either suffered a manufacturing defect or was damaged during assembly or just not installed correctly.

It happens. This is why there is a new car warranty.

Dealerships would act like they never see Christmas if they believed it would sell cars. No way a dealer would say something like: "Oh, rear main seal leak. We see these all the time. Damn engine factory can't install seals with a darn. Just be glad you didn't order a Hellcat. Those supercharger bearings never get installed right."

·
Registered
238 Posts
The oil on top of the coil pack looks like oil that dripped off of the dip stick when you were checking the oil. Hit it with some brake kleen and watch it for a bit. I have had a catch can on mine since the first month of owning it and the Dealer says nothing. It is a beneficial mod.
I agree the oil in the picture looks like oil that could have dripped off the dip stick while you were checking it. I would clean it off and see if it returns, those covers by the way just pull off and will give you a much better view of the actual valve covers underneath.
I would start with filter if you did see a small drop chance are there is a small leak, underneath the engine and air flow while you are driving can cause the small drop to go just about anywhere including on to the exhaust which is what you could be smelling. Either way I would focus on tracing the drops back up from the filter first and repairing that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The oil leaked worse after the first trip to the dealer. After mopar engineer diagnostic testing it still leaked. I'm not the only one with this issue..

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, do have any updates for the forum?
I just typed the update 3 times. After 3 trips to the dealer and mopar engineers ..it needs a whole new engine. Thats the update. Oh yeah and If I don't want to keep the car they will give me "fair market value"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seal either suffered a manufacturing defect or was damaged during assembly or just not installed correctly.

It happens. This is why there is a new car warranty.

Dealerships would act like they never see Christmas if they believed it would sell cars. No way a dealer would say something like: "Oh, rear main seal leak. We see these all the time. Damn engine factory can't install seals with a darn. Just be glad you didn't order a Hellcat. Those supercharger bearings never get installed right."
Well today mopar engineers couldn't solve the proble. So I was offered a "new engine right off the line" exactly where the first engine came from smh

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
700 Posts
I edited my post because you and I were posting simultaneously and I didn't see that you had posted the news. Sorry about this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You need to escalate to corporate if they are not taking care of you at the dealership

A Guy
I did actually. Called corporate today when they told me Mopar engineers couldn't figure it out either and I need "a brand new engine off the line" at 1200 miles ..IM beside myself

1 - 20 of 58 Posts