Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys:

I was perusing the 2019 Challenger brochure, and noticed that the base R/T comes with cloth "performance seats" as standard equipment. Are these the same upgraded bolstered seats that I had on my 2015 Scat Pack (in regular cloth)? I have a 2018 base R/T now with the more traditional flatter seats, which I assume are called "sport seats" now. One of the things I didn't like about my Scat Pack was actually the way the seats were bolstered on the seat back...my shoulders were too wide to comfortably fit into them. Never quite got used to them over the three year lease. No problem with the seat bottoms. I assume this new seat arrangement is the "trickle down" of the performance options into the lower levels. It appears the "flat" seats in my current R/T is only available on the SXT now. Do I have this right? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you referring to the seat backs when you say "flat"? I just bought a 2020 RT having upgraded from a SXT after a wreck. I can't get comfortable in the performance seats either. I guess I am too wide, even with the lumbar support adjusted to the max.after30-45 minutes in the car, my back begins to ache.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the seat backs when you say "flat"? I just bought a 2020 RT having upgraded from a SXT after a wreck. I can't get comfortable in the performance seats either. I guess I am too wide, even with the lumbar support adjusted to the max.after30-45 minutes in the car, my back begins to ache.
Exactly! The R/T seats (non-Scat Pack) until MY2019 used to have the flatter SXT-type seat backs which I find much more comfortable and prefer. This is the main reason I'll probably buy out my 2018's lease this fall, rather than turn it in for a 2021. With my previous 2015 Scat Pack, I felt the high bolsters on the seat back forced my shoulders into an unnatural position and caused my back to hurt after 30 minutes...same as you. Frankly, I'm surprised that more people haven't complained about these seats. I used to have a 2009 300C SRT8 which had similar seat bolsters, but they tapered way down on the upper half of the seat. I had no problem with those seats at all since the bolsters didn't contact my shoulders.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find the Houndstooth cloth seats a bit hard and somewhat uncomfortable. I opted to get the Nappa Alcantara seats which are softer and feel better on my back. I’ve gone on road trips and have had no complaints on my back. But then again, I don’t have any back problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the Houndstooth cloth seats a bit hard and somewhat uncomfortable. I opted to get the Nappa Alcantara seats which are softer and feel better on my back. I’ve gone on road trips and have had no complaints on my back. But then again, I don’t have any back problems.
I agree that the Alcantara seats are probably a much better choice for comfort, although I've never tried them out personally. I looked at a basic 2020 R/T recently at the dealer, and it had the houndstooth cloth performance seats. Pretty much the same seats I had on the SP. They don't feel too bad at first when sitting in them for a few minutes, but it was the longer drives that would be an issue. The seat bottoms, however, seemed about the same between the between the 2020 R/T and my 2018 R/T as far as the level of bolstering. The other thing that's a bit of a bummer is Dodge cancelled Destroyer Gray for 2020, which I have on my 2018 and absolutely love. Supposedly a new color called Smoke Show will eventually be rolled out to replace it, but I haven't heard when that will happen.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree that the Alcantara seats are probably a much better choice for comfort, although I've never tried them out personally. I looked at a basic 2020 R/T recently at the dealer, and it had the houndstooth cloth performance seats. Pretty much the same seats I had on the SP. They don't feel too bad at first when sitting in them for a few minutes, but it was the longer drives that would be an issue. The seat bottoms, however, seemed about the same between the between the 2020 R/T and my 2018 R/T as far as the level of bolstering. The other thing that's a bit of a bummer is Dodge cancelled Destroyer Gray for 2020, which I have on my 2018 and absolutely love. Supposedly a new color called Smoke Show will eventually be rolled out to replace it, but I haven't heard when that will happen.
Yup, I’ve heard that from some people regarding the cloth seats on longer trips. I know how you feel about Destroyer Grey, it’s a shame they removed it. I saw a picture of Smoke Show, but still like the Destroyer Grey better. I felt the same about Yellow Jacket, which they didn’t bring back for 2020. Hell, they limited the color for 2019 to 2 months before they removed it from ordering.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
234 Posts
I have a 2018 Scat Pack and find the seats perfect for me even on long drives. I'm sure that size has everything to do with it. Im 5'10, 200lbs, size 35" pants and wear Large shirts (Im a little over weight but not much). I could see how someone who has wider shoulders having issues with the side bolstering. I could also see someone who wears a medium or small just sliding around in the SP seats. Dodge clearly made the Scat Pack seats for the average size American. I can't speak for the other seats, I have only been in Scat Packs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not so much the covering as it is the shape of the seat back, It's more of a wraparound seatback, but it's not quite wide enough. I have had others tell me that the seat will eventually conform to me, but I'm having my doubts. I do just have the cloth seats, and would love the alcantarra, but right now I'm hesitant to have them recovered and then have to replace the seats entirely.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not so much the covering as it is the shape of the seat back, It's more of a wraparound seatback, but it's not quite wide enough. I have had others tell me that the seat will eventually conform to me, but I'm having my doubts. I do just have the cloth seats, and would love the alcantarra, but right now I'm hesitant to have them recovered and then have to replace the seats entirely.
Precisely. The softer Alcantara might help a little, but it's the shape of the seat back that's the main problem for me at least. I'm also about 6'4" so perhaps my height works against me with this particular seat shape...don't know. I was thinking at one point I'll just go ahead and get the 2021 R/T and then replace the seats with the base SXT seats like you're thinking. But in the end it would just be easier to keep what I have especially given the discontinuation of the color. The other thing I actually prefer on my current 2018 is the lower profile chin spoiler that's been replaced with the SRT-type splitter for 2019+. The new splitter looks terrific, but I scraped my Scat Pack spoiler several times on the road and was paranoid about pulling up to parking blocks. I have yet to scrape my 2018 on anything. Plus the integrated front edge wheel spats on the SRT version makes it harder to stick my hand in to swab out the wheel liners. Minor thing, I know. At least we still have plastic liners...my wife's Grand Cherokee has carpeted liners which can't be cleaned without a pressure washer (which I don't have). Ugh. I know it helps with road noise, but awful for those of us that like to detail our cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts