Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to put more horsepower into a sxt v6? Would like to customize my own engine performance instead of buying a v8. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I want to try and keep it on the lower end . I'm looking to see if I can put at least 200hp in it. Kind of new to the scene. not sure where to start.
So, the way I read it is that you want to add 200 MORE to a V6 already stocking out at 300hp?

Not, going to happen without some serious (read supercharged) level money and work. The V6 was not designed to be heavily modified because if you wanted lots more hp and spent more money, you would just... buy a 5.7.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I want to try and keep it on the lower end . I'm looking to see if I can put at least 200hp in it. Kind of new to the scene. not sure where to start.
That'll be tough to achieve without spending BIG BUCKS.

The factory really rodded this engine out, so to speak. DOHC design, good HP for CI's, and reliable.

Hopefully some others will chime in that have modded their 3.6. You'll probably here about FI to get big numbers.

Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Lower end would be an unlocked PCM, double bypass a tuner and a custom tune ($1,500+), and perhaps 15HP and 20 TQ. High end would be a Ripp supercharger, ported upper and lower intakes, ported throttle body, etc. ($7,000+) and then maybe 450RWHP

A Guy

·
Registered
195 Posts
To add 200hp to a V6 and do it RELIABILY you would very likely blow right past how much you'd spend on trading it for a 5.7, even if you take a hit on the trade. If you don't take a loss on the trade you may find you'd have enough for a low trim Scat Pack. And I'm just talking drivetrain mods, when you factor in the braking and suspension mods that you'll have to do to make the car safely handle the increased power you might find yourself shelling out nicely optioned Scat money or hell, even well used Hellcat cash... Buy once cry once...

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
26 Posts
Traded in my SXT last March. I pretty much did all I could other than supercharging it which I didn't want to do. This is my experience...

The 93 octane Hemifever PCM and TCM tune gave the best results. Everyone recommends getting a tune last but the tune will cause your other mods to work better.
Larger rear tires make a WORLD of difference. And you will need them after the tune. Even still, you'll be chirping tires if you get on the gas too quick. I ran a 20x9 wheel and 245/40/20 tire in the front and 20x10 wheel and 275/40/20 tire in the rear.
Ported GPE throttle body which was a 79mm venturi-style port as well as a TB spacer.
Momentum GT CAI which was a little pricey but provided a closed intake. The Hellcat intake w/ headlight tube and a high flow filter is a cheaper alternative but doesn't provide the noise...or the cool factor. lol.
3.07 diff
I changed out the exhaust as well.

With that said, I was hitting 5.3-5.4 0-60s constantly. I hit a 5.2 once but could never achieve it again. At the track, My best was a 13.9 on good days. I took it to the Dyno once and it read 254Hp/242tq to the wheels but I always felt like the reading was low.

You can also swap out the diff for a 3.09 which I hear helps greatly. Honestly, unless your supercharging it, you won't get much out of the 3.6. Its a fun car and don't get me wrong, it's "quick" but if you're looking for speed, I do recommend upgrading or getting something lighter.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
Momentum GT CAI which was a little pricey but provided a closed intake. The Hellcat intake w/ headlight tube and a high flow filter is a cheaper alternative but doesn't provide the noise...or the cool factor. lol.
Can you expand on this? What makes a closed intake better? How was the sound different? What made you choose it over another option out there?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
26 Posts
Can you expand on this? What makes a closed intake better? How was the sound different? What made you choose it over another option out there?
Most CAIs defeat the purpose of cold air due to the fact that they aren't completely closed off from the engine bay causing them to draw in engine heat. Cars tend to not perform as well when they're heat soaked. It's fine in cooler weather but if you live in a place where it's hot or has warm summers, it could hurt performance more than help it. The Momentum GT is completely closed. It even has the option for the headlight intake tube if you have the 2015+ models to draw in more air. It's made like a cooler version of the Hellcat Airbox basically which also a great option.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Here is an example of the K&N which is not closed.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

The Mopar tube is another good one. It doesn't have a complete airbox like the Momentum but it's bucketed and it seals to the hood when you close it essentially shutting it away from the heat. Some people say the metal tubing hurts it due to heat soak though. Not sure how true that is. This one is a good medium though. I'm running the JLT CAI for my RT now and it's similar to this one.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

The intakes don't make a huge difference it comes to sound but there are some cases where it can make your car slightly louder even with a stock exhaust. You'll hear it more if it has an open airbox and sometimes you can even hear it sucking in air. Closed boxes of course are a little quieter offering little to no change in sound.

Also, I have to stress...By themselves, CAIs don't provide much (if any) gains to HP. They might advertise 15-20+ HP but it's all advertising. At the most expect around 7-10HP and that's being generous. They're usually more for sound. You'll see the best results with a tune, a ported Throttle Body and a good breathing exhaust system in conjunction with it. I personally chose a closed box mainly because I was trying to squeeze every bit of HP I could out of the engine and due to humid summers where I am. But before that, I tried the Hellcat Box and Air Raid CAIs. I even created my own using larger pipes and the Hellcat Box. The Momentum was hands down the best for the 3.6 in my opinion.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
Oh wow! I wasn't expecting an answer like that! That was as an extremely high quality reply! Thank you so much. Sounds like the momentum gt is a pretty good way to go for me. I'm mostly interested in sound, coming from a 100hp turtle I still feel I have plenty, but I know in the future, once the newness wears off I'll appreciate the hp gain more, even if In the short term I think the sound would be nicer. The added air inlet tube is very nice as well. I think you've pretty solidly sold me on the momentum gt.

Thank you again for such an article worthy reply. It was more than I was expecting and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
26 Posts
No problem! Glad I could help. I had my 3.6 for 3 years and whenever I asked this question or looked around for answers, all I would see was "Get the V8 or supercharge it." My car was a daily but I was looking for a way to just make it a little more fun without needing to spend almost 10k for a supercharger at the time.

With the bolt on's I had, I was running close to stock 5.7 time. When my 5.7 was stock, I was doing around 5.0 - 5.1 0-60 until I added the same wider wheel setup from my previous car. And I've seen most of them at the track run aroun 13.7 second quarter mile stock. So with bolt ons, that's not bad if that's all you want out of it. You'll definitely surprise them off the line.

Honestly though. I regret spending the money though. I'd say that you can definitely make them more fun but it's a smarter decision to use that money you're going to spend on mods and invest in something faster if that's what you want. You'll always want more...and these cars hit a ceiling much sooner than others. just With all the mods I added, I think I may have spent around $2500-$3000. That's a down payment on an RT.

It was fun experimenting and trying different builds though.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Acceleration is all power to weight. Speed is power to wind drag.
The cheapest way for better acceleration is reducing weight, and with less power you will see bigger gains.
I think it might be kind of cool having a rear seat delete in a 3.6 car. That type of stuff isn't going to make a difference all by itself, but it adds up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts