Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their stock black wheels to an aftermarket wheel.....maybe polished alum or chrome ? If so, I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe it's just me because I'm old school, but black wheels blend in too much. There's no contrast. Tored red color, matte black hood, top, and trunk, black wall tires, black wheels, and black interior. Something is needed need to add some glitter.
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
This isn't the greatest picture, but back when I had a Jazz Blue 2013 Challenger, I went chrome.

20wheels 003.JPG

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I also like the "shiny" wheels... :) I went stock 18" Challenger wheels with chrome wheel skins. I live in PA and drive my GT year-round, so I really didn't want "real" chrome wheels as the road salt just eats away at them. With the skins, I can just replace all (4) skins for ~$80 if they get ruined (or curb rash or any sort of damage).

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts
Has anyone changed their stock black wheels to an aftermarket wheel.....maybe polished alum or chrome ? If so, I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe it's just me because I'm old school, but black wheels blend in too much. There's no contrast. Tored red color, matte black hood, top, and trunk, black wall tires, black wheels, and black interior. Something is needed need to add some glitter.
Tom
In a nutshell.......I actually see the polished or chrome wheels severely detracting from the T/A trim level, given the amount of matte finish on the car, in addition to the side stripes. On several other models, the polished and chrome wheels would be a great improvement. The R/T classic trim level with chrome wheels are old school and look great.

Since this is America....and we’re all entitled to our own opinions....have at it, and post up some pictures when you’ve made your selection!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
Personally, I much prefer bright wheels, machined/polished aluminum. But on a car like mine or GSBrockman's where the whole car is accented in black, then the wheels should match. And wheels should match the gas cap door!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tom
Hi Here is my T/A when I owned it.

IMG_20190511_130008915.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply's. . The more I think about it, maybe any other wheels would take away more than it would add. I'm really on the fence. The price of new wheels might encourage me to keep what I have.

20190821_141131.jpg

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Personally, I much prefer bright wheels, machined/polished aluminum. But on a car like mine or GSBrockman's where the whole car is accented in black, then the wheels should match. And wheels should match the gas cap door!
Agreed! When I switched from the stock 19" GT wheels (dark grey'ish) to the stock 18" Challenger wheels with chrome wheel skins, I also switched the black gas cap door over to a chrome gas cap door! I also has the matte black spoiler painted body color (not a fan of the matte black accents). My GT was a blacktop from the factory, which is why it had the black gas cap door and black spoiler (the only two matte black pieces on the car - the spoiler and gas cap door).

The other nice thing about the wheel skins is that they actually sell both black wheel skins and chrome wheel skins for these stock 18" wheels, so I can always change the wheels to black if I wanted (for about ~$80) - which is also why I decided to keep the factory black gas cap door - in case I ever do decide to switch to black wheel skins. :)

Love the flexibility of wheel skins and how inexpensive they are.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
Here's an idea - have your OEM T/A wheels stripped and polished...

I was at a show last year and saw a Scat Pack with the WP2 wheels (they were painted w/ machined faces) that had been stripped, polished and clear coat applied.

Same wheel, but entirely different look

The outfits that doe wheel refinishing can do this type of work readily

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here's an idea - have your OEM T/A wheels stripped and polished...

I was at a show last year and saw a Scat Pack with the WP2 wheels (they were painted w/ machined faces) that had been stripped, polished and clear coat applied.

Same wheel, but entirely different look

The outfits that doe wheel refinishing can do this type of work readily
I'd like to see a set of Slingshots done up polished.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,426 Posts
I like polished wheels too. But with your car, with all the matte black surfaces, I think the wheels you have compliment it very nicely. I think polished wheels on brighter colors such as yellow, orange, white, etc. can look really good. By the way, I love Octane Red. It looks fantastic in direct sunlight.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,758 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's. . The more I think about it, maybe any other wheels would take away more than it would add. I'm really on the fence. The price of new wheels might encourage me to keep what I have.

View attachment 989507
I've not seen any WRV wheels in anything but black, but painting, polishing, powder coating always an option

I'd like to see a set of Slingshots done up polished.
They sell replicas in Chrome

This guy painted his silver

A Guy

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Man, those all look good (Demon, and Slingshot), even while I prefer brushed/machined/polished I do like the chrome.
But I'll probably never change, not with all the other matte/black stuff. Plus with my hopes and dreams of louvers, and a couple other minor things, also black.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts