Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, well the wife and I did something unusual for us on Saturday of the Woodward Dream Cruise we took the B5 Blue Challenger T/A to the Hemi Nsanity in Pontiac. And let me tell you it was insanity, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Normally we go to Memorial Park on Thirteen Mile and Woodward where to Dodge display used before Beaumont Hospital kicked them out. At the area of Woodward nothing gets by the Royal Oak Police or MSP, don’t even think about even chirping you tires.

Up in Pontiac it’s a total different world, cops didn’t pull you over unless you did something right in front of them, and even then sometimes they didn’t. Anyways the MSHS put on an excellent lunch and everybody there was very nice.

Ok, now on to the Hellcat on fire, so people are doing burnouts and this Dark Green Hellcat from New York, “supposedly” with only 2,000 miles on it, starts to do a burnout and then catches fire. See pics. This very similar to the red Demon at the Milan Dragway, which I’m sure everybody here’s seen on you tube. The Hellcat makes it pass the light at Orchard Lake then stops and then everybody and then everyone and their brother starts pouring water from bottles on the engine compartment. Later some spectators and people that had access to the building behind them were a got their fire extinguishers. Everybody really put an effort into getting the fire under control. Anyways, I’m sure the guys from MSHS can add more, and I apologize if miss-quoted anything, I wasn’t immediately there when the Hellcat stopped, is was pretty crowded. Anyways, I just thought it was nice that everybody pulled together to get the fire out. My sympathy goes out to the owner and I wish him well.

Take care, Snowdoggie

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Maybe there is more to the "Brotherhood of Muscle" than first meets the eye?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Wow feel bad for the owner. What's up with the tranny catching fire in these Hellcat's and Demons? Hope it's something they can fix soon.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow feel bad for the owner. What's up with the tranny catching fire in these Hellcat's and Demons? Hope it's something they can fix soon.
Here's the parts that were found in the road when it first blew. Maybe one of the A8 tranny experts can pipe in.
Hellcat Parts.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you screw up a burn out, you are likely to blow the trans. Basically without rolling out, the car hooks and shoves all that force back into the trans. If you are on the brakes... all that force hits the torque converter and shit breaks.

Trans fluid is highly combustible, so it sprays onto the hot exhaust and lights up.

This isn't a Mopar issue, it's a driver issue and can happy in any automatic car.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Not being a track guy , or going to the track with my Challenger, how do you screw up a burn out ?
If you using a line lock Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not being a track guy , or going to the track with my Challenger, how do you screw up a burn out ?
If you using a line lock Thanks
The car needs to roll forward. If you stomp on the brakes to keep it from rolling forward, bad things happen.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
When you use line lock, since the front brakes are locked and the rears are not engaged, 1.) you do not have to smash the throttle to the floor, just press it enough to get the tires spinning.
2.) once spinning for a few seconds, release the line lock and press the accelerator a little more to get the car moving, then, once the car is moving slowly release the throttle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When you use line lock, since the front brakes are locked and the rears are not engaged, 1.) you do not have to smash the throttle to the floor, just press it enough to get the tires spinning.
2.) once spinning for a few seconds, release the line lock and press the accelerator a little more to get the car moving, then, once the car is moving slowly release the throttle.
Pretty much, as I recall when you release line lock the throttle goes dead until you tap the brakes.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Pretty much, as I recall when you release line lock the throttle goes dead until you tap the brakes.

That's it, just ease off the throttle so there is no sudden hook up to avoid stressed out systems. As you stated, "press the accelerator a little more to get the car moving" is the key. The throttle stays active during the burnout procedure and the brakes need not be applied to reset any systems. Haven't used the line lock as of yet but at the Demon experience that was the way we were instructed to do the burnouts to prevent this from occurring...

HOT ROD ON

1 - 15 of 15 Posts