Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger 1320 edition with 6.4 engine. The oil sticker that resides on the windshield states that I need to change the oil at 6k miles. I try to really take care of my engines and usually a little overkill on oil changes. I was wondering if I change the oil and filter at 3k miles and then again at 6k would this make since? The question I have is that does Mopar have a break in additive in the oil and should left in until 6k miles? Or is it just regular synthetic oil?

After the the 6k oil change I will just go with 6k each time but right now wanting to change the oil at 3k to have fresh oil on the new engine. The car has 1600 miles on it now.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Factory fill is the same Pennzoil 0-40 that is recommended.

No special break in oil or additives.

FCA requires change of oil and filter at 6 months/6k miles, whichever comes first.

You can change it more often if you want.

FWIW, my first change was around 3k, and now just follow the factory schedule.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
631 Posts
I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger 1320 edition with 6.4 engine. The oil sticker that resides on the windshield states that I need to change the oil at 6k miles. I try to take really take care of my engines and usually a little overkill on oil changes. I was wondering if I change the oil and filter at 3k miles and then again at 6k would this make since? The question I have is that does Mopar have a break in additive in the oil and should left in until 6k miles? Or is it just regular synthetic oil?

After the the 6k oil change I will just go with 6k each time but right now wanting to change the oil at 3k to have fresh oil on the new engine. The car has 1600 miles on it now.
Welcome to the neighborhood. Congratulations on getting an awesome car. That 1320 edition is no joke.

On the new cars I've purchased, I try to do the first oil change around 1,000 miles. And I spend a little extra time inspecting the drain pan and filter to look for any metal. Then I try to do the next change around 3,000 miles later and again carefully inspect everything. After that, I stick to the 6 months / 6,000 miles interval that's specified in the Owner's Manual. Yep. It's overkill.

As @19johned53 said, your car shipped with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic engine oil. It's excellent. There's a short list of other oils beside Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meet Dodge's MS-12633 spec. Valvoline, Amsoil Signature, Schaffer's ... maybe another one or two.

I'm curious ... did your 1320 come with the standard (and very good) MO-899 oil filter or the even better SRT Filter MO-041 oil filter?

Reactions: mully95

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the neighborhood. Congratulations on getting an awesome car. That 1320 edition is no joke.

On the new cars I've purchased, I try to do the first oil change around 1,000 miles. And I spend a little extra time inspecting the drain pan and filter to look for any metal. Then I try to do the next change around 3,000 miles later and again carefully inspect everything. After that, I stick to the 6 months / 6,000 miles interval that's specified in the Owner's Manual. Yep. It's overkill.

As @19johned53 said, your car shipped with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic engine oil. It's excellent. There's a short list of other oils beside Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meet Dodge's MS-12633 spec. Valvoline, Amsoil Signature, Schaffer's ... maybe another one or two.

I'm curious ... did your 1320 come with the standard (and very good) MO-899 oil filter or the even better SRT Filter MO-041 oil filter?
I don't yet because I have not looked at it. I'll keep you posted... maybe I will look under there this weekend.
Does these engines take 6qts with filter change?

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
FCA doesn't say change every 6 months or 6,000 miles, they say follow the oil change monitoring system and change when it tells you to change but in no case more than 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Also, no FCA vehicle comes with the SRT filter, they will all have the 899 as factory installed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger 1320 edition with 6.4 engine. The oil sticker that resides on the windshield states that I need to change the oil at 6k miles. I try to really take care of my engines and usually a little overkill on oil changes. I was wondering if I change the oil and filter at 3k miles and then again at 6k would this make since? The question I have is that does Mopar have a break in additive in the oil and should left in until 6k miles? Or is it just regular synthetic oil?

Just to add to what others have said there's a good argument to be made for changing the initial fill oil early provided there is no restriction to doing this in the owners manual.

There is no break in additive.

The initial fill oil gets dirty and contaminated from the new engine. My habit is to change the oil of a new engine early and often.

For example with my Hellcat I had the oil changed at around 500 miles, agaiin at 2K miles, then again at 5K miles. Since then every 5K miles or if I do not put 5K miles on the oil in under 6 months I get the oil changed at 6 months.

If you think 500 miles is too soon I can post (and have before) a picture of the oil from my new 2008 Cayman S with just 750 miles on the initial oil.

I do not recall off hand how much oil my 2018 Scat Pack required but you want to be sure if you do the oil change you drain the oil right -- with the engine warm -- and then put in the correct amount of oil.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
769 Posts
You bought a 1320 for a reason, and congrats...Cool car...Just me, if I had the 1320 I'd change after 500...Then after every 4-5,000...Using a good Wix, K&N, SRT oil filter...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My 2020 6.4 had the black filter on it. I kept it because it has "FACTORY INSTALLED" printed on the bottom. Kinda cool. I change mine at 3,000 mile intervals , using the SRT filter and Penz ultra 0-40.

I was not aware that Valvoline had a "suitable" 0-40 available, so I looked into it.
In looking at the data sheet they may not. That is depending on FCA's position.
Valvoline does not list this under "Approvals and Licenses", but rather under "Additional Recommended Applications".

That sounds to me like FCA could decline coverage if they had a mind to.
0-40 2.jpg

My 2020 6.4 had the black filter on it. I kept it because it has "Factory Installed" printed on the bottom. Kinda cool. I change mine at 3,000 mile intervals , using the SRT filter and Penz ultra 0-40.
Here's the original filter. I did the job myself and contrary to popular horror stories, the filter was easy to remove. Note the assembly paint mark
20201016_180807.jpg
20201016_180822.jpg

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
FCA doesn't say change every 6 months or 6,000 miles, they say follow the oil change monitoring system and change when it tells you to change but in no case more than 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Also, no FCA vehicle comes with the SRT filter, they will all have the 899 as factory installed.

Yes, and here's my experience with the oil monitoring.

Twice so far, I've been down to 2% before a change was required.

Miles on the oil were 5600 on one, and just shy of 5900 on the other.

So for my type of driving, the monitor and mileage service needs come at the same time.

YMMV, and just sharing info.

Reactions: BS1970SCAT

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My 09 SRT8 used to tell me to change the oil at around 2,600 miles, give-or take. I think there was a web cam in the mirror. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
My 09 SRT8 used to tell me to change the oil at around 2,600 miles, give-or take. I think there was a web cam in the mirror. :ROFLMAO:

Lol.

Yes, driving style makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My 6.4 turns 6 years old this November. I've followed the oil life meter all of these years and the car runs just as well as it did the day I drove it off the lot. I've used the SRT oil filter since the day the factory 899 came off. In short, don't overthink this. The quality of modern oils like the Pennzoil 0-40 has more than enough ability to keep your motor happy and healthy.

I'm happy to hear that FCA has finally fired the gorilla who over-torques the oil filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone!

I do my own oil changes on my vehicles. Really don't trust these quick drive through places. I have a 6yr warranty on the Challenger. Should I have the dealership change the oil in case there is an issue with the engine so there is proof that they did all the oil changes? I've never owned a vehicle with a warranty is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I do my own oil changes on my vehicles. Really don't trust these quick drive through places. I have a 6yr warranty on the Challenger. Should I have the dealership change the oil in case there is an issue with the engine so there is proof that they did all the oil changes? I've never owned a vehicle with a warranty is why I'm asking.
Check the owners manual and warranty booklet. (You can down load these from a Mopar site with your car's VIN.)

Here is the Mopar site. You can register then have access.

I believe one of these covers what is required to ensure warranty remains in effect if you self service or have the car serviced at some place other than a dealer. In fact at the Mopar site I think there is a way for you to enter the service details.

What I did with other new cars I followed my own servicing schedule which mainly consisted of an early oil change or two and oil changes more often than the factory called for. As an example I bought a new car that the factory called for 15K mile oil changes and 30K mile oil filter changes.

What I did was an early oil/filter service then one at 5K miles, 10K miles. At 15K miles I had the car in at the dealer for the factory scheduled oil change. Even then the dealer told me it changes the filter, too. Then I changed the oil at 20K and 25K miles. At 30K miles the car was back at the dealer for its 30K mile oil service.

Other services like the 2 year brake fluid flush/bleed I had done at the dealer.

In the case of my Hellcat I just had the dealer do all the oil/filter services including the one at around 500 miles, 2K miles, 5K miles and then every 5K miles after that. (Or a couple of times when I didn't put enough miles on the car in 6 months I had the oil changed on time not miles.)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you DIY, keep good records and save invoices for oil and filters. I go one step further and cut the flap off the oil filter box and write the date and mileage on the back. Proof positive that I at least had an OEM filter box. :)

Reactions: mully95

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
696 Posts
My 2020 6.4 had the black filter on it. I kept it because it has "FACTORY INSTALLED" printed on the bottom. Kinda cool. I change mine at 3,000 mile intervals , using the SRT filter and Penz ultra 0-40.

I was not aware that Valvoline had a "suitable" 0-40 available, so I looked into it.
In looking at the data sheet they may not. That is depending on FCA's position.
Valvoline does not list this under "Approvals and Licenses", but rather under "Additional Recommended Applications".

That sounds to me like FCA could decline coverage if they had a mind to.
View attachment 1004731
U Picked the EURO oil, I uses the 0w-40 full syn non euro
0W-405 quart8811550-74130-03185-2

·
Registered
14,951 Posts
I've got a composition notebook for each vehicle and every time you do something write it on a page with the date and mileage and gluestick any receipts there. This method is acceptable to FCA for warranty and keeps everything neat and organized.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
U Picked the EURO oil, I uses the 0w-40 full syn non euro
0W-405 quart8811550-74130-03185-2
Interesting. When I plug 881155 into the Valvoline site they do not show a 0-40 in that oil type. They must be hiding it someplace. Have you found a spec sheet I can't seem to locate?

881155.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,111 Posts
I also take pictures when I change the oil. Picture of the odometer, the oil and filter. That along with the receipts should be sufficient to document. I do update the Mopar owners site as well. I suspect if owners actually do the changes and on time, there are very few oil related failures

A Guy

1 - 20 of 67 Posts