Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
685 Posts
Blows me away, Me knows I did ONE oil change with that oil last year. I ordered it from NAPA and it WAS not the Euro version of 0w-40 oil............

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered the Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 0W40 from Walmart online.
They sent me the Euro 0W40, so I returned it. Later I noticed Valvoline uses the same product ID for both. Doh!

Not trying to start WW3, but I’m just going to use Mobil 1.
It is always available at the Brick & Mortar Walmart and Costco.

I know it is not certified, but I’m betting it is good enough.
<Insert joke here about more expensive oils being made with unicorn tears>

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They sent me the Euro 0W40, so I returned it. Later I noticed Valvoline uses the same product ID for both. Doh!

Here's an interesting screen shot from an on-line retailer. Note the text description and then look at the bottle.
Somebody's mixed up. :)

Screenshot_2020-10-17 Valvoline™ Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40 1-Qt Motor Oil Meijer...png

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So then, that would mean they are merging the "Advanced" 0-40 synthetic and "European vehicle" 0-40 synthetic and it does not hold an "approval" or "license" for Chrysler MS 12633 but it is listed as an "additional recommended application".

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
685 Posts
WHY I switched to SCHAFERS oil instead, BUILT just for the Hemi !!! Not out when i change it out using the Valvoline on the first oil change. Just switched over and the noise is less on start up now............

I own a 2019 5.7 Hemi/Hybrid and 2014 SRT 8 using the same brand and engines love the MOLY !!!

Reactions: cruiserdan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Welcome to the neighborhood. Congratulations on getting an awesome car. That 1320 edition is no joke.

On the new cars I've purchased, I try to do the first oil change around 1,000 miles. And I spend a little extra time inspecting the drain pan and filter to look for any metal. Then I try to do the next change around 3,000 miles later and again carefully inspect everything. After that, I stick to the 6 months / 6,000 miles interval that's specified in the Owner's Manual. Yep. It's overkill.

As @19johned53 said, your car shipped with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic engine oil. It's excellent. There's a short list of other oils beside Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meet Dodge's MS-12633 spec. Valvoline, Amsoil Signature, Schaffer's ... maybe another one or two.

I'm curious ... did your 1320 come with the standard (and very good) MO-899 oil filter or the even better SRT Filter MO-041 oil filter?
I crawled under and looked and it has the black filter part number 0488489ac. what is the part number for the SRT filter. The car has 1700 miles on it. Guess I could change it now. EDIT: Never mind I found it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
5038041AA. Not all dealers stock them, or they may have only one or two at a time. Call ahead. My dealer has several million dollars on the shelf and he has maybe two at any given time. The vast majority of owners don't use them. There just happens to be a concentration of them here.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

The OP has a new car. He should stick with an oil the factory approves of. Mobil 1 is not such an oil.

WHY I switched to SCHAFERS oil instead, BUILT just for the Hemi !!! Not out when i change it out using the Valvoline on the first oil change. Just switched over and the noise is less on start up now............

I own a 2019 5.7 Hemi/Hybrid and 2014 SRT 8 using the same brand and engines love the MOLY !!!
Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 0w-40 oil...

The MSDS lists the main ingredient as "1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated". (Also has a load of ZDDP which is harmful to converters.)

The CAS # is 68037-01-4. This is poly(1-decene), aka hydrogenated poly-1-decene.

Hydrogenated poly-1-decene is a colourless glazing agent. It is "a mixture of isoparaffinic molecules of known structure, prepared by hydrogenation of mixtures of tri-, tetra- penta- and hexa-1-decenes".[1] It was reviewed in 2001 by the Scientific Committee on Food of the DG Health. It was "proposed as a substitute for white mineral oil. The food additive applications include those of glazing agent for confectionery and dried fruit, and processing aid uses as a lubricant and release agent, especially in bread baking using tins. It has been permitted for use in Finland, and a “Case of Need” has been accepted in the United Kingdom."[2] The substance is a mix of inert saturated hydrocarbons, which are not easily metabolise.

Built for the Hemi? More like built for making donuts and bread baking...

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
630 Posts
I crawled under and looked and it has the black filter part number 0488489ac. what is the part number for the SRT filter. The car has 1700 miles on it. Guess I could change it now. EDIT: Never mind I found it.
I got everything from Summit Racing. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with Pure Plus technology (has srt on the bottles), SRT oil filter 5038041aa
You're set. There truly are lots of good oils out there but it just feels safer to stick with Pennzoil while I'm under warranty. Pretty sure that the Dodge engineers are smarter than me.

Scour the sales sheets for the various parts stores for deals and then stock up. NAPA runs a pretty good sale on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from time to time. Pep Boys used to .... but many Pep Boys are shutting down their consumer business and just keeping their service centers open.

The SRT filter is one of my favorite things to get for "free" with my Amazon Prime points.

Reactions: mully95 and Klink

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
768 Posts
It's good to get an Oil Filter Cutter just to see what's inside...

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
685 Posts
The OP has a new car. He should stick with an oil the factory approves of. Mobil 1 is not such an oil.

Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 0w-40 oil...

The MSDS lists the main ingredient as "1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated". (Also has a load of ZDDP which is harmful to converters.)

The CAS # is 68037-01-4. This is poly(1-decene), aka hydrogenated poly-1-decene.

Hydrogenated poly-1-decene is a colourless glazing agent. It is "a mixture of isoparaffinic molecules of known structure, prepared by hydrogenation of mixtures of tri-, tetra- penta- and hexa-1-decenes".[1] It was reviewed in 2001 by the Scientific Committee on Food of the DG Health. It was "proposed as a substitute for white mineral oil. The food additive applications include those of glazing agent for confectionery and dried fruit, and processing aid uses as a lubricant and release agent, especially in bread baking using tins. It has been permitted for use in Finland, and a “Case of Need” has been accepted in the United Kingdom."[2] The substance is a mix of inert saturated hydrocarbons, which are not easily metabolise.

Built for the Hemi? More like built for making donuts and bread baking...
So what U saying ?? Penz is better ?? No way in hell that's true !!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So what U saying ?? Penz is better ?? No way in hell that's true !!!
He did not say Penz is better. He said Mobil1 is not an approved oil for the 392.
The latter is a factual statement.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
630 Posts
It's good to get an Oil Filter Cutter just to see what's inside...
Because my wife wasn't real amused years ago when I used her fancy Pampered Chef can opener.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,038 Posts
You V8 guys having to open your oil filters...:p

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
768 Posts
Tactile experience, Bill...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,038 Posts
No smelling it too!

A Guy

Reactions: Jack44

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought a brand new 2020 Challenger 1320 edition with 6.4 engine. The oil sticker that resides on the windshield states that I need to change the oil at 6k miles. I try to really take care of my engines and usually a little overkill on oil changes. I was wondering if I change the oil and filter at 3k miles and then again at 6k would this make since? The question I have is that does Mopar have a break in additive in the oil and should left in until 6k miles? Or is it just regular synthetic oil?

After the the 6k oil change I will just go with 6k each time but right now wanting to change the oil at 3k to have fresh oil on the new engine. The car has 1600 miles on it now.
FCA has gotten tough on warranty claims. I'd follow the OEM maintenance guidelines in the owner's manual. As mentioned, if you're a DIY person, ensure that you document your oil changes in detail and you can also enter your maintenance data in the Mopar Owner's website. Additionally, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 is the factory fill for the 392.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts