Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
168 Posts
To comply with the guidelines to keep the warranty active, I will have to go get my second oil change soon after about 11 months with roughly 2,200 miles on my car. Last one was done somewhere around 1,800 or 1,900 miles. I think it is ridiculous, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well I changed my oil and filter yesterday. Had 1740 miles on the odometer. Used the recommended Pennzoil and SRT filter. The oil wasn't as clean as I thought it would be with just 1700 miles on it. As the oil was flowing out of the oil pan into the container I could not see through it. Only when it thinned out a bit I could start seeing light through it. Maybe it was just me but the oil seemed dirty as ever.

I went ahead and purchased enough oil and filter to do another oil change later. What would be your recommendation on the next oil change interval?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
What would be your recommendation on the next oil change interval?
At your low usage, every 6 months. And make sure to fully document your services with a written log and receipts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Well I changed my oil and filter yesterday. Had 1740 miles on the odometer. Used the recommended Pennzoil and SRT filter. The oil wasn't as clean as I thought it would be with just 1700 miles on it. As the oil was flowing out of the oil pan into the container I could not see through it. Only when it thinned out a bit I could start seeing light through it. Maybe it was just me but the oil seemed dirty as ever.

I went ahead and purchased enough oil and filter to do another oil change later. What would be your recommendation on the next oil change interval?
My experience is in one case even at 750 miles the oil was quite dark. New engines just naturally contaminate the oil very heavily which contributes to the oil being dark at in your cases 1740 miles.

The flip side with engines with some miles on them I have changed the oil then driven the car 5K miles - highway miles -- and sometimes in the space of a week and upon changing the oil after this 5K miles the oil stream is translucent and the oil still has some amber color to it. Same engine. Same oil. 5K miles. But with more surface street miles after 5K miles the oil is quite dark. Clearly (no pun....) how the vehicle is used plays a role in the oil's life, at least based on how it looks.

For when the oil changes should happen consult the owners manual. Nominally it is every 6K miles or 6 months -- not sure what the owners manual has to say about oil life indicator and when to change the oil... I have always changed the oil in my Hellcat before the oil life got too low -- but sometimes the factory changes the service schedule and you want to be sure you are going by what the factory calls for.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
838 Posts
Day to day driving, I change about every 4500-5000 miles...If I am racing too, I change at 3500...

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
I change once a year, has 6K miles and three oil changes............LOL Only drove it 1500 miles in 2020 :(

The latest oil brand seems to make it run better then the last.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
And just to be clear, the 6 month recommendation is to comply with FCA warranty requirements since you have a 2020.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
185 Posts
I'm new to Dodge and the 6.4L so please pardon my confusion on the oil change requirements.

If I understand this correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong).....

FCA says, as long as your under the 36/36 warranty (and you want it to remain in effect) you must change your oil at least every 6 month or 6,000 miles, OR if the OLM says your at 100% use. This would obviously have to happen with an oil that meets FCA specs for this engine. I know there are several as already mentioned. Oil filters specs are less clear and perhaps not as important.

You can obviously change it sooner if you like with no adverse affect to your engine warranty while it is in effect.

After the 36/36 warranty period, we should change it according to the OLM.

Or, does the 6 month/6,000 mile recommendation still apply as well?

Do I have this right or am I still confused.

I don't understand the 6 month requirement. Especially when we're supposed to use such 'high quality, synthetic' oil'. What happens to it after 6 months? I don't feel that most owners of this engine drive it like Miss Daisy so it is likely considered 'severe use' but I don't understand the drop dead date. This is not curdled milk. As a group I think we all take care of our equipment better than the average car owner.

Thoughts?

DeWFPo

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
168 Posts
I'm new to Dodge and the 6.4L so please pardon my confusion on the oil change requirements.

FCA says, as long as your under the 36/36 warranty (and you want it to remain in effect) you must change your oil at least every 6 month or 6,000 miles, OR if the OLM says your at 100% use. This would obviously have to happen with an oil that meets FCA specs for this engine. I know there are several as already mentioned. Oil filters specs are less clear and perhaps not as important.

You can obviously change it sooner if you like with no adverse affect to your engine warranty while it is in effect.

I don't understand the 6 month requirement. Especially when we're supposed to use such 'high quality, synthetic' oil'. What happens to it after 6 months? I don't feel that most owners of this engine drive it like Miss Daisy so it is likely considered 'severe use' but I don't understand the drop dead date. This is not curdled milk. As a group I think we all take care of our equipment better than the average car owner.

Thoughts?

DeWFPo
To comply with the requirement for 5yr/60,000 mile power train warranty, I am sure you will need to stick to this schedule. I bought my 2019 Scat Pack on November 30th last year. Since then, I already have had two oil changes (I just had the second one yesterday) and my car only has 2,150 miles. It is ridiculous but I do not want something to happen to my engine and Chrysler to tell me they cannot cover it under warranty because I did not stick to the maintenance schedule.

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
My 09 SRT8 used to tell me to change the oil at around 2,600 miles, give-or take. I think there was a web cam in the mirror. :ROFLMAO:
the 6.1s didn't have an oil cooler, so when you drove it harder the oil would get hot - trips off the oil change sooner.

when I put the 392 cam in 5.7 (2009 R/T), I could get oil change messages from 1,850 - 2,400 miles driving it hard before I put the oil cooler on it

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
Here's an interesting screen shot from an on-line retailer. Note the text description and then look at the bottle.
Somebody's mixed up. :)

View attachment 1004766
I bought my Valvoline online - when it arrived, I noticed it was the European Vehicle Full Synthetic version

I thought the order was filled with the wrong item. Checked Valvoline's site - as of Aug 2020, the Euro Veh version meets the MS12633 standard

So I'm using it. I print out a page of the maintenance schedule, the receipt for the items and note the date / mileage and what services were performed as my record

that way I can keep track of what fluids, filters and so forth that I've done for maintenance or replacement

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, I did mean the 5 yr./60K powertrain warranty and not the 36/36 that I wrote above.

DeWFPo

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
You‘re certainly entitled to your opinion, and can “feel” and “think” whatever you want, but at the end of the day, FCA administers the warranty and calls the shots regarding warranty claims.

Your car, your warranty.....

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
You‘re certainly entitled to your opinion, and can “feel” and “think” whatever you want, but at the end of the day, FCA administers the warranty and calls the shots regarding warranty claims.

Your car, your warranty.....
Yep, the way I look at it is, FCA offers a warranty with a new vehicle, and states what the owner must do, to keep the warranty valid.

Owner's car, and choice in caring about the warranty or not, or servicing the car as recommended by the factory.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am just trying to figure out what FCA is really saying so that I am in compliance with their guidelines. As in ... Ignore the OLM, or go by 6 mo/6k only, or Both. I just want to make sure I have it right, that's all.

I'm old enough to know that my opinion means nothing to anyone but myself.

DeWFPo

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
I am just trying to figure out what FCA is really saying so that I am in compliance with their guidelines. As in ... Ignore the OLM, or go by 6 mo/6k only, or Both. I just want to make sure I have it right, that's all.

I'm old enough to know that my opinion means nothing to anyone but myself.

DeWFPo
It’s all in the owners manual.....

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Well, if the oil monitor hits "0" before 6 months or 6k miles, change the oil and filter.

Otherwise, go 6 months or 6k miles, which ever comes first, and do the change.

You're covered.

From my experience, at "0" oil life on the monitor, it'll be very hard to go over 6k miles on a 392.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The owner's manual is unambiguous.
"Under no circumstances should oil exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or 6 months, whichever comes first."
The only viable argument against that would be that 10,000 kilometers is 6,213 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
While by the numbers you are correct, I'm sure it's written that way to differentiate between Canadian and US (kilometer display or mile display). Your display would read 6,000 miles and if you exceed it...

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts

Thoughts?

DeWFPo
The 6 month oil change is to catch those owners who do not drive 6K miles in 6 months. It is not so much the specific number of miles it is the implied usage the car receives. 6K miles in 6 months works out to around 33 miles/day. This number suggests the car gets driven enough to heat the engine and oil up thoroughly to remove much if not all the water that the oil accumulates. (From combustion.)

As an aside water in the oil affects the oil's ability to protect the engine. If the engine is not operated in such a way to get the oil hot enough to boil out of the oil the only other way the water can be removed is to drain the oil -- hot.

Less than 6K miles in 6 months suggests the car does not get driven enough to heat the engine and oil up thoroughly.

Dodge can't -- and I don't blame it -- come out with a sliding scale of oil changes based on the number of miles driven over time that covers all the possible scenarios. The majority of Dodge customers are not owners who buy a car then let it sit unused for 6 months. If you are one that lets the car sit for 6 months with nearly zero miles of use or drive it to 5999 miles in 6 months then the 6 month oil change requirement is there to ensure at least the oil gets changed regularly.

My Hellcat is the first car I have owned that I have had to change the oil based on time not miles. Previous vehicles got driven enough to always get an oil change triggerd on miles driven not time passed.

But the Hellcat has had one oil change based on time. In this case -- a couple of years ago -- I put around only 3K miles on the car in 6 months. I am about to have the oil changed early -- in less than 6 months and with less than 5K miles (I use 5K miles rather than 6K miles) -- since its last oil change back in July. It is cooler (cold?) now where I live and I prefer to have fresh oil in the engine at the start of "winter". And come spring regardless of the miles I will have the oil changed again because I like to get rid of the "winter" oil and start the driving "season" with fresh oil in the engine.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts