Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
so U are saying it get changed TWICE with no miles on second change???

I do the same thing, just changed the oil and have less then 200 miles if that on it. Come spring it get dumped for a new oil for the summer runs..at around $100 it not cheap oil change.

So far the new average is 3k miles a year of driving now........................

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
You have to show minimum two documented oil changes per year regardless of mileage or your engine warranty will be in jeopardy. That is FCA policy whether we like it or not.

Now that little used oil is still good so strain it, save it and use it in something else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
oil cheap, crate engine is not...............

When U drink beer, coffee and eat out every month, $200 in oil changes a year is chump change !!!

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T Classic
22 Posts
I suggest looking in the owners manual at the service intervals page. A lot of cars have 2 service schedules.
Normal duty and severe duty. Normal is all but unheard of. Everyday driving falls under the severe duty schedule. I.E., stop and go, long idle, severe heat, severe cold, towing, hauling, hills, commercial use, racing,dirty/ dusty conditions.
Severe schedule is typically 50% sooner than normal duty.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
so U are saying it get changed TWICE with no miles on second change???

I do the same thing, just changed the oil and have less then 200 miles if that on it. Come spring it get dumped for a new oil for the summer runs..at around $100 it not cheap oil change.

So far the new average is 3k miles a year of driving now........................
If this is directed at me I'm saying that in order to stay with the service schedule Dodge calls for and to ensure the warranty is honored in case something goes wrong the oil should be changed on Dodge's schedule. This schedule calls for oil changes after so many miles or so much time has elapsed.

So if one changes the oil before putting the car away for the winter while after the oil change putting just a few miles on the oil before putting the car away then come spring and if this is 6 months since the car was put away the oil should be changed.

But someone who puts his car away for 6 months a year is an outlier and while the schedule calling for 6 month oil changes seems unfair or wrong or just stupid it is what it is. One can chose to follow the schedule or not. And deal with any warranty claim -- if one even arises which granted is not likely -- when (if) the time comes.

Have to admit I find it some what odd that one is willing to suffer 6 months of deprecation of a very expensive car with no apparent upset but gets upset at having to spend maybe $140 for an oil/filter service with essentially zero miles on the oil.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
I suggest looking in the owners manual at the service intervals page. A lot of cars have 2 service schedules.
Normal duty and severe duty. Normal is all but unheard of. Everyday driving falls under the severe duty schedule. I.E., stop and go, long idle, severe heat, severe cold, towing, hauling, hills, commercial use, racing,dirty/ dusty conditions.
Severe schedule is typically 50% sooner than normal duty.
I hope this helps.
Yes, the owners manual is the go to source for servicing. Except there are exceptions... After I bought my VW Golf TDi -- this back in 2002 -- I was at the dealer and spotted a sign on the service department counter which in so many words stated the factory had declared this region (Merriam KS and I forget how much of the surrounding area) severe usage and as a results had halved the oil change interval from 10K miles to 5K miles.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
Yes, the owners manual is the go to source for servicing. Except there are exceptions... After I bought my VW Golf TDi -- this back in 2002 -- I was at the dealer and spotted a sign on the service department counter which in so many words stated the factory had declared this region (Merriam KS and I forget how much of the surrounding area) severe usage and as a results had halved the oil change interval from 10K miles to 5K miles.
I’m sorry....but I would have called horse schitttttttttt on that deal, without a letter from VW telling ME that.

Nothing but a ploy set forth by the Service Department to increase their revenue stream of oil changes with add on sales....

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
If this is directed at me I'm saying that in order to stay with the service schedule Dodge calls for and to ensure the warranty is honored in case something goes wrong the oil should be changed on Dodge's schedule. This schedule calls for oil changes after so many miles or so much time has elapsed.

So if one changes the oil before putting the car away for the winter while after the oil change putting just a few miles on the oil before putting the car away then come spring and if this is 6 months since the car was put away the oil should be changed.

But someone who puts his car away for 6 months a year is an outlier and while the schedule calling for 6 month oil changes seems unfair or wrong or just stupid it is what it is. One can chose to follow the schedule or not. And deal with any warranty claim -- if one even arises which granted is not likely -- when (if) the time comes.

Have to admit I find it some what odd that one is willing to suffer 6 months of deprecation of a very expensive car with no apparent upset but gets upset at having to spend maybe $140 for an oil/filter service with essentially zero miles on the oil.
I have to agree with Rockster , I’m happy to pay for my dealership to service my $55,000 Scat Pack every 6 months, a freebie my service manager does is send in my Oil samples for analysis. I’ve never asked nor do I think I want to know how much a new 392 crate motor will cost me 5 years down the road. I learned from my son, he’s been a ASA Mechanic for 20 years, that they do a lot more then just changing the oil and filter, getting a knowledgeable mechanic to spend a hour, looking over the whole car plus driving it in and out gives me peace of mind that my expensive toy will be around for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,859 Posts
getting a knowledgeable mechanic to spend a hour, looking over the whole car plus driving it in and out gives me peace of mind
I’m very certain that most dealerships have oil change techs for just that—oil changes only.

Dealership mechanics earn their living performing flat rate mechanical work....work that requires a skill level much higher than an oil change tech.

Reactions: SRT8 Mike

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I’m very certain that most dealerships have oil change techs for just that—oil changes only.

Dealership mechanics earn their living performing flat rate mechanical work....work that requires a skill level much higher than an oil change tech.
Sorry my friend but I have my service manager’s top mechanic do all my work, he is the only one that touches my car. I’m not stupid, I totally understand what you’re saying and that’s why he gets a $50 dollar bill pressed in his hand when he shakes my hand.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
Sorry my friend but I have my service manager’s top mechanic do all my work, he is the only one that touches my car. I’m not stupid, I totally understand what you’re saying and that’s why he gets a $50 dollar bill pressed in his hand when he shakes my hand.
top tech U say ???

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Beat me to it. Worked at many different dealerships over the last 40 years. Unless the ticket came through with something else on it if they handed a A tech an oil change only ticket if would have to be really slow at the dealer. I’ve seen the oil change techs pull the drain plugs out for less then a minute and reinstall, put the wrong weight oil in, not use synthetic oil where it’s required. When I do my oil change both drain plugs come out and the cap and filter for at least 15 minutes. No Master tech wants a oil change ticket unless it has a “ check brake, check engine lite on, ECT...” attached to it. I can just here my service writer “ we’ll have one of our A techs do your oil change for you.” Do you know when the service writer is lying? When his mouth is moving.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
Will add these Hemi's slow drain, most shops change it less the 15 minutes. Had my ass chewed many times as I was a 30 min oil changer...........4 car per hour was the std !!

at home its a hour and six pack for all three Hemi's.................

8 years Hemi owner and NOW own three.................

Reactions: VNT

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
The beauty of a small town Mopar dealer, 3 sales people and no service writer, just the service manager and 4 mechanics.
Was gonna say, I like these small town dealers but unfortunately in the big cities they all seem to have these express lane service bays where they crank them in and out almost like Jiffy Lube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
The beauty of a small town Mopar dealer, 3 sales people and no service writer, just the service manager and 4 mechanics.
Here there is LIKE maybe 5 SRT cars, so they wrench on trucks mostly.

Wife changes oil better then ANY tech out there, I trained her.

The Master oil changer 1983 - present

61 - 76 of 76 Posts