Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, I really love our Challenger R/T scat pack widebody. But those first months of ownership have been a nightmare. I'm not new to FCA products and own a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk with the 6,2l supercharged. >40k, 0 issue till now.

The challenger of my wife, well is another story... The day after the car delivery, we already had to drive back to the dealer. The rear camera was not working when the gear was in R. The Dealer did re-flash the Uconnect and fixed partially the issue. I say partially because the camera is still not activating in R once every 2-3 weeks and need a complete Uconnect cycle to come back. Annoying but still manageable until a future software update fix it.

Then couple of days later, the rocker panel on the passenger side was not holding correctly in place. The front piece was loose. After check at the dealership, seems that the front element was not put in place properly, so they ordered a new panel...one week later it was replaced.

Two months later during a trip in the city, the engine light with error code P219B came on the dash....and back to the shop again.
After a full diagnostics, a bad injector have been identified. But even after replacement the air/fuel ratio where still not good...the Challenger did stay another couple of days at the shop.
After checking the cylinder heads with the camera, they unfortunately found trace of water in 2 cylinders and have ordered 2 new gaskets (R&L side). Now they hope this will fix the issue.

The challenger is now since 2 weeks totally inoperable and they will need another 3 weeks for the repair (Xmas vacation time, delivery delay,...). This is the worst experience I had in 20 years. In almost 4 months of ownership, 3 time back to the dealer and in Jan will be a total of 5 weeks without being able to drive the car. Is Dodge doing any quality control at all?:mad:

What do you think? Is it just bad luck and it's possible that the cylinder head gasket was a production / assembly issue or the cause could be somewhere else?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Just bad luck. Really bad luck.

Have to say the odds of one bad head gasket is rare. Two is well rarer still. I don't mean to add to your anxiety but forewarned is forearmed but it does at least to me raise the specter of an engine on its way to getting replaced.

But maybe not. When you get the car back before you officially accept it back take it on a test drive to see if the CEL comes back on. If the engine manifests any untoward behavior take the car back. Do not accept the car with the story the head gaskets need to break in or any such BS.

My advice would be to read up on the lemon law in your state and build a case. Regardless if the head gaskets fix the problem I'd seriously consider seeking to have the car declared a lemon.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Every so often, modern factories spit out a lemon. Your first few months of ownership sound just like mine with another manufacturer. I was able to get out from under the lemon but it was not easy. I would immediately start preparing for a lemon law case.

The 6.4 is a great motor with plenty of years of use. I've never heard of two head gaskets being bad right out of the gate. As for Dodge electronics, you're doing about average. You can check your VIN on the Uconnect site to see if your car is up to date. No need to wait for the dealer on that one.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I recently got my Scat back in September, got just under 7500 miles with no issues. On little thing is the radio does skip my presets, think I have had to reset the list about 5 times now, more a annoyance.

Every manufacturer gets a lemon out the door, as others have stated document as though you're going to have to go down that route, and hopefully this episode will be the last time at the dealership except for normal maintenance.

Best of luck,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
that's a rarity and to have both banks with leaks?

either the heads weren't torqued down properly or there are flaws in the block casting

·
Registered
195 Posts
I work in quality control for a tier 1 automotive parts supplier, my facility produces structural components for Ford and GM but my company makes many different parts for nearly all OEM's worldwide including FCA. So I am intimately familiar with industry and regulatory QC standards. Even with all of the layers of processes and protections there is a possibility of producing a defective product. It is statistically impossible to make a perfect product 100% of the time, especially when you take into account how complex today's cars are. I have seen even the most basic parts messed up by a computer glitch in a welding robot or a loose wire in a logic control unit or a new person that loaded a part out of sequence. This is why there are warranties and why companies have insurance to safeguard themselves against huge losses in case they royally screw something up. There are checks and procedures in place from start to finish in every manufacturing process to help catch, minimize and prevent quality defects from passing through and we are constantly adding to those as new issues come up. The fact that there hasn't been thousands of cars with the same issues as yours and hundreds of thousands of 6.4l engines out there running perfectly is proof that there isn't a "design flaw" but more likely a defect that is isolated to a relatively few number of units. It sucks that standard containment and review procedures didn't catch your specific vehicle but it can and does happen. It shouldn't put you off of a car you otherwise love, every manufacturer has defects both big and small the difference is how they take care of the customer who is unfortunate enough the experience that defect. I hope FCA takes care of you to your satisfaction!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately in Switzerland we don't have a lemon law. Only a warranties of 2 years forcing the dealership to repair the car. A trade-in or buy-back is only base on the good will of the dealership or importer.

@Hal H: they are replacing both side to be sure but the leak is on one side only.

Any advice on what I should test / pay attention for when I'll get the car back?

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is my fear with buying any car that was made in 2020, it wouldn't matter what brand.
With the way this year has gone, everyone in and out of work, then possibly rushing to make a date.
I can see this with other industries also.

I am sorry to hear this and I wish to never read these stories. Please let us know what the resolution was.

I hope your dealership is a good one. If not @DodgeCares maybe able to help.

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately in Switzerland we don't have a lemon law. Only a warranties of 2 years forcing the dealership to repair the car. A trade-in or buy-back is only base on the good will of the dealership or importer.

@Hal H: they are replacing both side to be sure but the leak is on one side only.

Any advice on what I should test / pay attention for when I'll get the car back?
make sure oil is clean and clear - any coolant contamination will make it milky / brown color.

no error codes should be present.

you should not see any coolant loss either. Watch both coolant levels and oil levels to make sure there's nothing irregular going on.

Reactions: BS1970SCAT

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I work in quality control for a tier 1 automotive parts supplier, my facility produces structural components for Ford and GM but my company makes many different parts for nearly all OEM's worldwide including FCA. So I am intimately familiar with industry and regulatory QC standards. Even with all of the layers of processes and protections there is a possibility of producing a defective product. It is statistically impossible to make a perfect product 100% of the time, especially when you take into account how complex today's cars are. I have seen even the most basic parts messed up by a computer glitch in a welding robot or a loose wire in a logic control unit or a new person that loaded a part out of sequence. This is why there are warranties and why companies have insurance to safeguard themselves against huge losses in case they royally screw something up. There are checks and procedures in place from start to finish in every manufacturing process to help catch, minimize and prevent quality defects from passing through and we are constantly adding to those as new issues come up. The fact that there hasn't been thousands of cars with the same issues as yours and hundreds of thousands of 6.4l engines out there running perfectly is proof that there isn't a "design flaw" but more likely a defect that is isolated to a relatively few number of units. It sucks that standard containment and review procedures didn't catch your specific vehicle but it can and does happen. It shouldn't put you off of a car you otherwise love, every manufacturer has defects both big and small the difference is how they take care of the customer who is unfortunate enough the experience that defect. I hope FCA takes care of you to your satisfaction!
Bad situation.

While zero defects is always a goal, if a company ships 99.99% defect free components, someone will be part of that .01%

A real PITA and disappointment for those few that get the defective part in their ride.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
This is my fear with buying any car that was made in 2020, it wouldn't matter what brand.
With the way this year has gone, everyone in and out of work, then possibly rushing to make a date.
I can see this with other industries also.

I am sorry to hear this and I wish to never read these stories. Please let us know what the resolution was.

I hope your dealership is a good one. If not @DodgeCares maybe able to help.
I ordered my scat pack in February, just in time for the plant to close. Finally got it in July, I was worried about the rush to start the line and the mistakes that would be made. I’m 100% happy with my Challenger, I’m betting that they took extra special time ramping up the line after making all the COVID safety changes they made.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
make sure oil is clean and clear - any coolant contamination will make it milky / brown color.

no error codes should be present.

you should not see any coolant loss either. Watch both coolant levels and oil levels to make sure there's nothing irregular going on.
For the real OCD owner he should consider an oil/filter service right after the new head gaskets are installed.

Then after so many miles obtain an oil sample suitable for analysis and have the oil analyzed. This will turn up the presence of any anti-freeze compounds in the oil.

Yes, if one of the gaskets proves defective or there's an underlying problem with the head or block the oil may get sufficiently contaminated with coolant to show obvious signs of this.

But a small leak that may not be enough to cause the oil to discolor to any real degree is a concern. Any leak of course. Large or small.

Likewise the owner should check the coolant tank for any signs of oil on top of the coolant.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own a 2020 SP WB with a build date 8/2020 and it did have a few small issues but nothing like yours. I bought a 1985 GMC pickup that had a coolant leak and returned to the dealer 3 times until they found the left rear cylindr head was leaking so they had to replace it and it went, 100,000 miles before I sold it. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck. I have to find another dealer because the service manager at the dealer I bought it from is a total knob.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Well just sold ALL my 2020 cars, covid19 issues are to hard to deal with when my dealerships are 2 hours away....................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts