Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Mopar'ers:
I just took delivery of my first new Dodge challenger RT. It is the first car that I have owned that has a functional hood scoop in the hood. I live in Florida and it rains quite a bit here, do I need to worry about rain getting into the engine bay while I am driving or sitting at a light causing problems? Do they make a insert or some device to block the rain if there are problems?

Thank you so much for your consideration and responses in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
This question was brought with the SRT engineers in 2008. Here was their reply:

"The scoops have been fully water tested."

I believe that rain water is not an issue because the air pressure inside the engine compartment, due to air coming in through the radiator, is high enough that it will not enter the openings.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm on board with this. When I was going to get another Durango , all the new models have the SRT hoods in the R/T and SRT trim levels which is where I would go, I have a R/T now Durango 2017 AWD.

I'm a freak when it comes to keeping my ride clean, I have a Arsenal of Chemical Guys, Griots Garage, Adams Polishes and Maguire's along with a D/A and a Rotary. I use to be a Detailer back in my College years and managed many shops.
My vehicle stays in the garage when not in use and I wash it every week. It has a ceramic coating on it and I use toppers regularly. My Engine bay looks brand new all the time and my fear with these vents Hoods is that water is going to get in there and dirty it up or could cause some long term issues down the road with water having the ability to get in easily then normal.
I have been looking into breathable material to use to stop some of the water from getting in and still allowing the hood to function as designed.
FrogzSkin is one brand I found so far that might do the trick. Check then out and other brands like them and share if you will. I'm suprised this isn't talked about more and people how have the SRT or vented style hoods have come up with some type of solution like the Frogzskin.
Maybe there are plenty of people on here that have, I'm excited to here what people are doing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much gratitude on your reply. I will look into the frogzskin. I am hoping to get more responses from people who have your tea and drive in the rain. I will post if I get any solutions that work.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Hello fellow Mopar'ers:
I just took delivery of my first new Dodge challenger RT. It is the first car that I have owned that has a functional hood scoop in the hood. I live in Florida and it rains quite a bit here, do I need to worry about rain getting into the engine bay while I am driving or sitting at a light causing problems? Do they make a insert or some device to block the rain if there are problems?

Thank you so much for your consideration and responses in advance!
No issue at all and I live in SWFL.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
If there were issues, they wouldn't be functional. They test these cars for many many miles, in all different weather conditions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was worried about the same thing when I got my 19 R/T.
I run it through car washes where they walk around and spray it first as well as rain. When I checked it the first few very little water was in there from the car wash and after driving in the rain it is dry in the engine compartment.
Don't worry about it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts