Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that this is a new option that you can get a 2020 Challenger R/T with Shaker option in a wide body?

Also by going with the widebody option does this eliminate the rear end breaking loose / fishtailing problem which is suppose to be solved by installation of larger tires in rear?

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
the Wide Body & Shaker is only on the 50th Anniversary edition of the Scat Pack - extra cost package and 70 editions in that trim in the colors its offered it [not all colors are available on 50th Anniv package].

So dealer allocation is another matter the total of 1,960 50th Anniversary editions mean some dealers may have 4 - 6 available (across all trims) and some might have 1 - 2

With 485hp, you can pretty much make any street tire break loose when you get on the throttle

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Wide Body & Shaker is only on the 50th Anniversary edition of the Scat Pack - extra cost package and 70 editions in that trim in the colors its offered it [not all colors are available on 50th Anniv package].

So dealer allocation is another matter the total of 1,960 50th Anniversary editions mean some dealers may have 4 - 6 available (across all trims) and some might have 1 - 2

With 485hp, you can pretty much make any street tire break loose when you get on the throttle
This is strange as I was in Dodge website and I didn't see any of this information in building and pricing it out.
Well this looks to be very limited so I won't go for it. Cost I am sure will be very high with limited availability which I hate having to deal with those issues.(n)

So perhaps a regular scatpack with shaker hood option, Dynamic option for the wider tires will have to surfice.(y) $51,000 the way I equipped it.
:unsure:I am not sure whether to include the the adaptive suspension option:unsure: because if it does make the ride more stiffer or uncomfortable I prefer a smoother suspension or softer because of the bad condition of the streets, roads and freeways here full of potholes.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
the adaptive suspension will allow the user to have softer to firmer and very firm settings.

if ride comfort is a high priority - get that option. The standard Scat Pack suspension is firm and you'll notice that on rough roads. It definitely won't ride like a Buick!

the equivalent on the adaptive settings would be Sport (for the conventional SP suspension), where Street is the most soft / comfort oriented.

Track is the stiffest shock setting within the adaptive suspension settings

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
This is strange as I was in Dodge website and I didn't see any of this information in building and pricing it out.
Were you on the Widebody Scat configuration? Because that choice has no Shaker package option?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the adaptive suspension will allow the user to have softer to firmer and very firm settings.

if ride comfort is a high priority - get that option. The standard Scat Pack suspension is firm and you'll notice that on rough roads. It definitely won't ride like a Buick!

the equivalent on the adaptive settings would be Sport (for the conventional SP suspension), where Street is the most soft / comfort oriented.

Track is the stiffest shock setting within the adaptive suspension settings
Thank you very much for that info. Sounds to me that I should then add the Adaptive Suspension option.
At least the Challenger scat pack won't ride as HARD as a Fox body Mustang 5.0.
Will the scat pack Wide Body option affect the comfort of the ride?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you on the Widebody Scat configuration? Because that choice has no Shaker package option?

View attachment 989218

View attachment 989219

A Guy
Thanks for the website. I must have got the models mixed up. So many models and too many options. I am going to the website again and see what I can get.
In deciding between the shaker option on the regular SP and the wide body SP it would seem that you get a hood that is much more functional, better suspension-tires n wheels on the wide body vs. the "Shaker Option".??
:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
Thanks for the website. I must have got the models mixed up. So many models and too many options. I am going to the website again and see what I can get.
In deciding between the shaker option on the regular SP and the wide body SP it would seem that you get a hood that is much more functional, better suspension-tires n wheels on the wide body vs. the "Shaker Option".??
:unsure:
the center scoop on the WideBody Scat Pack just is an open vent to the engine bay - it doesn't feed fresh air to the engine. The air extractors are there as well

Its the former '15 - '18 Hellcat hood which this is - center scoop was simply a vent; on a 'Cat there'd probably be some heat building up under load due to the forced induction.

Whether is does that much for a N.A. Scat Pack remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the center scoop on the WideBody Scat Pack just is an open vent to the engine bay - it doesn't feed fresh air to the engine. The air extractors are there as well

Its the former '15 - '18 Hellcat hood which this is - center scoop was simply a vent; on a 'Cat there'd probably be some heat building up under load due to the forced induction.

Whether is does that much for a N.A. Scat Pack remains to be seen.
It would appear that the shaker option is more of a cosmetic option. The hood on the SP WB would appear to get more cooler air in and out of the engine compartment. Also the SPWB has the upgrade in tires. Correct me if I am wrong on that.
(y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
The scoop on the Shaker does feed air to the engine, as does the CAI, but it's considered a cosmetic item (that moves as you rev the engine!). It comes down to $2,595 for the Shaker package, or $6,000 for the Widebody package and which you like more

A Guy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The scoop on the Shaker does feed air to the engine, as does the CAI, but it's considered a cosmetic item (that moves as you rev the engine!). It comes down to $2,595 for the Shaker package, or $6,000 for the Widebody package and which you like more

A Guy
If the WB SP with those wider tires helps prevents spin outs compared to the standard SP or SP with "Dynamic Package" then I would go for the WB option-but again only if it helps prevent spinning out or fishtailing for safety reasons. I had another car that was very deadly in that so this time I want to prevent that as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
WB comes with 305 tires. You could get wheels and 315s and put them on the back of a Shaker. With 485 HP, you can't prevent the rears breaking losoe, but unless you drive crazy...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
If the WB SP with those wider tires helps prevents spin outs compared to the standard SP or SP with "Dynamic Package" then I would go for the WB option-but again only if it helps prevent spinning out or fishtailing for safety reasons. I had another car that was very deadly in that so this time I want to prevent that as much as possible.
in the past you've made comparisons to Fox body Mustang - that's a live axle model that wasn't known for great handling and its origins go back to the late 70s.

Ford did a "band aid" approach of putting four shocks on that in some of the applications due to the shortcomings of the design. The early 5.0 just with 225 hp could be all over the road w/o much provocation.

Comparing a live axle suspension design to a IRS design isn't a good comparison -

My father owned a '90 LX 5.0 Convertible as new - I drove it and remember the axle hop on uneven pavement or making turns in intersections.

Not a good handling vehicle - you had to pay attention to what was going on otherwise things could go bad pretty quickly

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the past you've made comparisons to Fox body Mustang - that's a live axle model that wasn't known for great handling and its origins go back to the late 70s.

Ford did a "band aid" approach of putting four shocks on that in some of the applications due to the shortcomings of the design. The early 5.0 just with 225 hp could be all over the road w/o much provocation.

Comparing a live axle suspension design to a IRS design isn't a good comparison -

My father owned a '90 LX 5.0 Convertible as new - I drove it and remember the axle hop on uneven pavement or making turns in intersections.

Not a good handling vehicle - you had to pay attention to what was going on otherwise things could go bad pretty quickly
I concur with you 100% on this as I owned one that I special ordered back in 1987 from the factory and had it for 31+ years.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WB comes with 305 tires. You could get wheels and 315s and put them on the back of a Shaker. With 485 HP, you can't prevent the rears breaking losoe, but unless you drive crazy...

A Guy
If you drive crazy then you can spin this car regardless of what kind of tires are on the SP.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,579 Posts
This is what I'd do if I couldn't decide between the two. I'd but the Scat Pack Widebody and then change the base hood over to the Shaker. Luke @ Steve White could probably get you hooked up with all of the pieces needed to do it and also give you a good price on it too.

It wouldn't hurt to ask him about it to get an idea of the cost and what's involved. Luke knows ALOT about Challengers and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get his advice.

I have to say though that a Widebody Scat Pack Shaker would be Really Cool (and Very different).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what I'd do if I couldn't decide between the two. I'd but the Scat Pack Widebody and then change the base hood over to the Shaker. Luke @ Steve White could probably get you hooked up with all of the pieces needed to do it and also give you a good price on it too.

It wouldn't hurt to ask him about it to get an idea of the cost and what's involved. Luke knows ALOT about Challengers and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get his advice.

I have to say though that a Widebody Scat Pack Shaker would be Really Cool (and Very different).
I agree a regular WB SP with shaker would be great for regular production. Order it the way you want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts