Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
The Dynamics package adds the 275 width tires on a 9.5 inch Black Spider looking wheel( I don't know the proper name fo them) P Zero's All Season , Flat Bottom Steering Wheel and 6 piston brembo Brakes.
Standard is the 245 Width Tires on a 9 inch wheel Goodyear don't remember the series tires 4 piston Brakes and the Standard Dodge wheel.

So as for the design of the wheels, they both are really nice. I favor the Black Spider web looking model which looks just like the ones on the 1320.
The Steering wheel I'm here nor there with it. Both Steering wheels are nice.
The brakes however as I know the 6 pistons are better then the 4 pistons but I heard the 6 pistons are a nightmare with brake dust. The 4 pistons are a level of bad but the 6 pistons take that to a whole new level of sorrow in the amount of brake dust all over your wheels. Do you really need 6 pistons? Or are the 4 pistons good enough?
For me I don't drive insanely fast, I actually hover around the speed limit most of the time unless no one is around and I'm feeling some kind of way.

So my question is, is it worth getting the Dynamics package? Are the 6 piston brakes just awful for brake dust?
I also heard that the 275 size tires do little for more traction over the 245 , is that true as 275 is a wider tire and should provide some more traction . I know the Scat pack 392 engine over powers both tires with ease but I think for Street use how often are you leaving a light at full power?
I would buy a set of Wheels and Tires for the Dragstrip as it makes no sense to try and run down there on regular street tires.
So I'd like to hear from you guys who have the dynamics package or not. I'd love to know from actual owners how they feel about these things.

Thanks guys just trying to figure out my final build if I'm going with the dynamics package or not.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have the dynamics package. Even with 275 I wish they were wider like the 305, so I can't imagine the 245's performance. I daily mine and I don't go crazy. My tires spin if I just floor it with slowly inching and then flooring it. Might not be too bad if you floor it after getting going a little

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
I got the Dynamics package mainly for the black wheels and its design. Since my car is Granite, I thought the stock granite wheels would've made my car look too gray, so I wanted some contrast. As a bonus I guess the wider tires help out some in the looks and some traction, but I don't hot rod the car enough to find out (yet). The flat bottom steering wheel is included in the package and supposedly it has roots from car racing where it makes ingress and egress easier. It does, and I do like the extra room when driving and scooting up either leg on a long stretch of road when shifting (m6) isn't necessary. I do notice the front wheels have slightly more brake dust, giving the black rims a brownish tinge after a while, but easily cleaned. I dont' know how the 4 piston setup feels, but I believe that since this car is very heavy, it can use all the braking ability that can be mounted in those wheels. I believe I made the right choice in the package, I think you get a lot versus piecing all of it together ala carte.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
Ok,
The Dynamics package adds the 275 width tires on a 9.5 inch Black Spider looking wheel( I don't know the proper name fo them) P Zero's All Season , Flat Bottom Steering Wheel and 6 piston brembo Brakes.
Standard is the 245 Width Tires on a 9 inch wheel Goodyear don't remember the series tires 4 piston Brakes and the Standard Dodge wheel.

So as for the design of the wheels, they both are really nice. I favor the Black Spider web looking model which looks just like the ones on the 1320.
The Steering wheel I'm here nor there with it. Both Steering wheels are nice.
The brakes however as I know the 6 pistons are better then the 4 pistons but I heard the 6 pistons are a nightmare with brake dust. The 4 pistons are a level of bad but the 6 pistons take that to a whole new level of sorrow in the amount of brake dust all over your wheels. Do you really need 6 pistons? Or are the 4 pistons good enough?
For me I don't drive insanely fast, I actually hover around the speed limit most of the time unless no one is around and I'm feeling some kind of way.

So my question is, is it worth getting the Dynamics package? Are the 6 piston brakes just awful for brake dust?
I also heard that the 275 size tires do little for more traction over the 245 , is that true as 275 is a wider tire and should provide some more traction . I know the Scat pack 392 engine over powers both tires with ease but I think for Street use how often are you leaving a light at full power?
I would buy a set of Wheels and Tires for the Dragstrip as it makes no sense to try and run down there on regular street tires.
So I'd like to hear from you guys who have the dynamics package or not. I'd love to know from actual owners how they feel about these things.

Thanks guys just trying to figure out my final build if I'm going with the dynamics package or not.
[/Q
I got the Dynamics package mainly for the black wheels and its design. Since my car is Granite, I thought the stock granite wheels would've made my car look too gray, so I wanted some contrast. As a bonus I guess the wider tires help out some in the looks and some traction, but I don't hot rod the car enough to find out (yet). The flat bottom steering wheel is included in the package and supposedly it has roots from car racing where it makes ingress and egress easier. It does, and I do like the extra room when driving and scooting up either leg on a long stretch of road when shifting (m6) isn't necessary. I do notice the front wheels have slightly more brake dust, giving the black rims a brownish tinge after a while, but easily cleaned. I dont' know how the 4 piston setup feels, but I believe that since this car is very heavy, it can use all the braking ability that can be mounted in those wheels. I believe I made the right choice in the package, I think you get a lot versus piecing all of it together ala carte.
For a street vehicle, and based on you're description of your driving style, there's ZERO need for the 6 piston brakes.

I've got the 4 piston Brembos, drive hard at times, and can say that I don't ever need more braking than what I have. Perfectly satisfied with outstanding brake performance.

I would never need or use what the 6 pistons offer, and the replacement pads and rotor cost is very high.

Just my experience and best of luck choosing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
For a street vehicle, and based on you're description of your driving style, there's ZERO need for the 6 piston brakes.

I've got the 4 piston Brembos, drive hard at times, and can say that I don't ever need more braking than what I have. Perfectly satisfied with outstanding brake performance.

I would never need or use what the 6 pistons offer, and the replacement pads and rotor cost is very high.

Just my experience and best of luck choosing.
good point the brake and rotor replacement is more costlier , adds to the cost of ownership

for brake dust Some had good luck with power stop pads

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
good point the brake and rotor replacement is more costlier , adds to the cost of ownership

for brake dust Some had good luck with power stop pads
The rotors are MUCH MUCH MUCH more money. Like over 700 bucks EACH. Tires are actually not that much more in 275/40 than 245/45. I can't directly compare traction. but with the 392, there is plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd to destroy rear tires on the street no matter what width. Cornering seems VERY impressive to me, braking is also very impressive. I have the Slingshot wheels, and I like those better than the new ones in the dynamics package.
I got my car lightly used, and almost excluded cars with Dynamics Package over the projected tire cost, never realizing the brakes cost. But there are alternatives for slightly less money out there as well. I have looked and looked and looked, I can not find one direct comparison, or anything numerical on what is gained with dynamics package, braking, acceleration, cornering. But when you see the size of those front rotors, not just the 6 piston calipers, the actual rotors, you get what the money went towards.
I did a stomp on the brakes as hard as I can back roads stop once, pulled 1.02G, felt like the grill was rubbing the pavement on a nose stand...
I think the main benefit of those massive front brakes, is repetitive heavy braking, no fade.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Agree, the 6-pistons are for racing and overkill for street but with the PowerStop Z23 pads they will be nice street brakes with no dust and almost no rotor wear. And there are more options now than the high dollar OEM rotors but with street pads and normal driving you should never need them.

I didn't pay extra for mine, they were standard equipment on the 15+ SRT 392 and I have the Z23's and no complaints or issues.

And if you want the optional adaptive suspension, you will have to order either Dynamics or Widebody to get it so either way, you will get the 6-pistons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dynamics pgk is nice. The front pads suck. Swap over to a better brand or ceramic like I did.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
275s with the 3 season Pirelli option here. The Dynamics Package M6 Scatpack with 3.55 gears can't break them loose in the hot weather except from the clutch drop (wheelhop is a huge problem but that's not entirely related). They are very well matched for the power. I would never consider running 245s or any all season tire of any size on a Scatpack. The 9.5" wide wheels also support most 285 wide summer tires.

Brake dust on the 6 pistons is really bad but ceramic coat and a maintenance coating make it very easy to remove. The initial bite on these brakes is tremendous. Worth the money and cleaning if you like driving hard. Ceramic pads are an option if you don't mind sacrificing some of that bite.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

I recently ordered one, but got the Brass Monday wheels with the dynamics package, as I didn't really like the all black look.

I ordered it before I saw what the replacement cost was on the brakes, so going to be ordering some ceramic pads real soon.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
990 Posts
OBTW - P-Zero tires are junk. Mine didn't last 25,000 miles with no burn outs and rotation about every 5k.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I've had both the original 4 piston Brembos and the 6 piston Brembos on my 2016 Scat Pack. OEM Brembo pads in both cases. I absolutely LOVE the 6 pistons and it was well worth the upgrade.

I want to add my opinion, that the brake dust thing is a bit overstated. Brake dust is a perfectly normal characteristic of high performance brakes. I daily drive my car year round, yes the wheels get dusty. Wash them sometimes. Not a big deal for me. I don't see a benefit in having the nice 6 piston brakes if you're downgrading them to a more "street-friendly" pad.

I for one hope Dodge/SRT never changes the factory brake pad compound. I love the bite that they have, I love the response from the pedal. I love that they stop instantly at any temperature, without needing warmup like a true race pad. And I love that they have track use capability. If you want to do a track day or autocross, you don't have to swap to different pads. Just make sure you're up on your maintenance (bed-in, fresh fluid) and go for it.

These brakes are about as good as it gets for the wide use of these cars. The engineers really did their homework. Yes the rotor cost is high (which I am not looking forward to), but you pay to play. The whole car isn't cheap either. I would argue that brakes are one thing worth spending on. Especially with the weight and power of our cars.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat pack
165 Posts
I have a 2020 scat without the added package (245 45 20) 4 pistons
The only thing that I need is more grip
With the tires upgraded my set today as we speak to the 275 40 20

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
I've had both the original 4 piston Brembos and the 6 piston Brembos on my 2016 Scat Pack. OEM Brembo pads in both cases. I absolutely LOVE the 6 pistons and it was well worth the upgrade.

I want to add my opinion, that the brake dust thing is a bit overstated. Brake dust is a perfectly normal characteristic of high performance brakes. I daily drive my car year round, yes the wheels get dusty. Wash them sometimes. Not a big deal for me. I don't see a benefit in having the nice 6 piston brakes if you're downgrading them to a more "street-friendly" pad.

I for one hope Dodge/SRT never changes the factory brake pad compound. I love the bite that they have, I love the response from the pedal. I love that they stop instantly at any temperature, without needing warmup like a true race pad. And I love that they have track use capability. If you want to do a track day or autocross, you don't have to swap to different pads. Just make sure you're up on your maintenance (bed-in, fresh fluid) and go for it.

These brakes are about as good as it gets for the wide use of these cars. The engineers really did their homework. Yes the rotor cost is high (which I am not looking forward to), but you pay to play. The whole car isn't cheap either. I would argue that brakes are one thing worth spending on. Especially with the weight and power of our cars.
Have to agree on the factory Brembo pads. I would never change them out, especially for a ceramic compound pad.

Clean what dust is generated, and enjoy the benefits of what Brembos offer. As you stated, "play and pay."

I've had lots of ceramic pads on various cars over the years. Love them, but not on a performance brake set up.

They are not a performance compound, and braking performance is reduced. Defeats the purpose all together IMO.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had cremic pads on my 10 Challenger with SRT rotors up front and Daytona police rotors on the rear with semi metalic pads. The worked great in stopping me from 154 mph inless than 1/4 of runway at the Texas Mile.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I had cremic pads on my 10 Challenger with SRT rotors up front and Daytona police rotors on the rear with semi metalic pads. The worked great in stopping me from 154 mph inless than 1/4 of runway at the Texas Mile.

now try that 10 times in a row and see if they do it consistently.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
OBTW - P-Zero tires are junk. Mine didn't last 25,000 miles with no burn outs and rotation about every 5k.

Nearly 25,000 miles for a Max performance summer tire is doing good. Most tires of this category don't even offer a treadwear warranty. One exception is Michelin (They focus on long tread life), and even their Pilot Sport 4S only has a 30,000 mile treadlife warranty.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I made 4 passes and had no fade issue's.

They any number of pads that provide the stopping power you want and not turn your rims into a dirt factory. Hawk an Rspec come to mind.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I made 4 passes and had no fade issue's.

They any number of pads that provide the stopping power you want and not turn your rims into a dirt factory. Hawk an Rspec come to mind.

How much time between those passes? I find it hard to believe you got back up to 154 mph immediately after stopping (Or within even a minute) and did it again, especially since you said you were in less than a 1/4 of runway.

There are multiple members on this forum who have tried ceramic pads on a track (I'm talking about road course circuit, not a drag strip) and had their pads turn into boiling, fading, dangerous slop after repeated hard stops and only a few laps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts