Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum! First time posting here, thank you for welcoming me!

I have been bitten by 'the bug' and am thinking about doing an order for a Challenger with the specific options I want. To the point of having quotes from several dealerships in hand. I want a Challenger that is exactly what I want, not something I had to compromise on just because that was on the dealer's lot.

One of the configuration options is carbon fiber dash panels with a suede headliner. Seems to be a rather rare option as I cannot find any of them within 200 miles of my location. That rarity does appeal to me in making my car unique. The problem is taking a look at the option before making the purchase. The pictures on the Dodge website are very limited and they don't do a good job of selling it.

Has anyone purchased or seen the factory carbon fiber dash & suede headliner? I sure would appreciate your opinion on this factory option.

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
698 Posts
If you want it Eric, do it!...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Well that is just the thing. I don't really know what it looks like and whether it lives up to the two marketing sentences on the Dodge website:

"Read carbon fiber adorns the dashboard and center console bezel for a premium look and feel."
"Available as part of the Carbon and Suede Package, the suede headliner adds a premium touch to the inside of the vehicle."

Not a lot to go on. I am hoping someone here has seen this option and can give an opinion. Is it overpriced bling, or is it tastefully done? And for anyone who has it - would you do it again?

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Do whatever makes you happy but know that even if your car is a 1 of 1, monetarily it means nothing as these cars will not ever gain in value. Mine was the last Yellow Jacket built of the limited run and still means zip. Looks cool sitting in my garage though.
Buy it, drive it and enjoy every mile.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,109 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Do whatever makes you happy but know that even if your car is a 1 of 1, monetarily it means nothing as these cars will not ever gain in value.
That's because over 500,000 Challengers have been built since 2008. When I bought my 2009 SRT, like many, I assumed that it would be a niche vehicle with a limited run (i.e., 3-4 years), but it has stayed in production for an incredible 12 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome !
This are options you might buy later on as OEM or aftermarket ... dont worry ....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy
THANKS! Exactly what I was looking for. I may need to work on my search skills in this forum as I didn't uncover it when I looked. :cool:

-Eric

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's because over 500,000 Challengers have been built since 2008. When I bought my 2009 SRT, like many, I assumed that it would be a niche vehicle with a limited run (i.e., 3-4 years), but it has stayed in production for an incredible 12 years.
I was pretty active with the '94-'96 Impala SS scene. They were talked about as the "Tri-Nines" in reference to the popularity of the '55-'57 Chevrolets known as the "Tri-Fives". I remember some guys buying new '96's when the run was coming to an end, driving them home, putting them on blocks, and closing the garage door - thinking the car was an investment. The cars just didn't maintain their popularity, likely because they only had a three year production run.

That's where the Challenger comes in for me. I am finally at the point in life financially where I can join the cool kids. Dodge has continued to keep the product line fresh and active. I would not be be interested if the car did not have this kind of following.

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
THANKS! Exactly what I was looking for. I may need to work on my search skills in this forum as I didn't uncover it when I looked. :cool:

-Eric
I'd go for the option if you're getting your Challenger as a "keeper" both those items add a more unique look. Now that I've seen the Alcantara (synthetic suede) headliner it is a more premium finish and look.

the OP mentions that the pillars are also finished in this material as well

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Everyone always says that Dodge did it best in their version of a retro car and that includes owners of mustangs and camaros.

Clint

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd go for the option if you're getting your Challenger as a "keeper" both those items add a more unique look. Now that I've seen the Alcantara (synthetic suede) headliner it is a more premium finish and look....
That is the independent enthusiast's perspective I was looking for! This will be a keeper, at least that is the plan.

I am not the type of guy who gets rid of cars. For better or worse I get that emotional attachment to them. Until recently my wife's '98 Blazer was the newest vehicle in the fleet (it was hit/totaled when parked). Tough to let it go because I look at it and I see all the hours of labor I put in to it keeping it maintained and on the road for 325k miles. That's on the 'worse' side.

On the 'better' side.... Yesterday I took out my '57 Chevy for a drive. When I was born in 1969, I came home in this car. In 2018 I drove it from OR to MN and back, just to get pictures with my father-in-law's '41 Chevrolet. Did I mention that cars become like family around here? LOL!

A Challenger really seems to fit with where I am at in life. It will be fun, enjoyable, and something special to me. But Dodge has made a zillion of them. Precisely because it is not rare, that means I am free to enjoy it. Sure, I would be sad if a bad thing happens, but it would not be irreplaceable. My dad had a '65 Corvette, low miles, unrestored, factory fuel injection, a 'survivor' car. It got 20 miles on it and an oil change every year whether it needed it or not. That is just owning a thing, that is not enjoyment - in my opinion.

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,619 Posts
I was pretty active with the '94-'96 Impala SS scene. They were talked about as the "Tri-Nines" in reference to the popularity of the '55-'57 Chevrolets known as the "Tri-Fives". I remember some guys buying new '96's when the run was coming to an end, driving them home, putting them on blocks, and closing the garage door - thinking the car was an investment. The cars just didn't maintain their popularity, likely because they only had a three year production run.

That's where the Challenger comes in for me. I am finally at the point in life financially where I can join the cool kids. Dodge has continued to keep the product line fresh and active. I would not be be interested if the car did not have this kind of following.

Thanks,
-Eric
Yep, I loved those as well. I had a 1994 Caprice LS with LT1 with HD Cooling/Tow/Posi... I had it as a Caprice SS (factory emblems!) clone. It ran amazing, for 1994...
It was the best car ever made in my opinion, last of the real American sedans, great torque, nice ride room for a family and could light up the ass end and once got 30MPG going across Texas at 70 MPH. I was going to keep it forever, nothing would ever come close. Then I ended up with a 2006 Charger R/T :D with a bit more torque, more top end power, better suspension and brakes and never looked back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I loved those as well. I had a 1994 Caprice LS with LT1 with HD Cooling/Tow/Posi... I had it as a Caprice SS (factory emblems!) clone. It ran amazing, for 1994...
It was the best car ever made in my opinion, last of the real American sedans, great torque, nice ride room for a family and could light up the ass end and once got 30MPG going across Texas at 70 MPH. I was going to keep it forever, nothing would ever come close. Then I ended up with a 2006 Charger R/T :D with a bit more torque, more top end power, better suspension and brakes and never looked back.
HA! We probably roamed the same circles back in the day. ISSCA and all the small pop-up clubs across the country. I have a black '91 Caprice which is done up as an Impala clone with all the factory export "Caprice SS" badging. It just sits. It is the first 'toy' car I have ever owned, so it is not going anywhere. Eibach lowering springs, F-body sway bars, full body bushings, 9C1 digial instrument cluster, 18" Azev wheels, dual exhaust, etc. Car feels a lot lighter than the big boat that it is. I have a Dart SBC motor which someday may find its way under the hood. Definitely some sentimental value with this car.

The Challenger will replace a '92 Caprice that is also done as a SS clone, with similar but not identical mods. However, it did get daily driver rank & status. 311k on the original motor & transmission. 9C1 (cop car) wheels for winter and SS wheels for summer. Sadly I will have to say good-bye to this car to make room in the garage. Tons of performance & special parts on it, including ultra-rare '94 SS quarter windows. The little 305 will still knock down 24mpg highway if I stay out of it. The challenge will be finding it a good home, but I know the market is limited.

Ultimately though, both are like putting on an Arnold Schwarzenegger body suit. Looks [email protected], but I have nothing to back it up. LOL!

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum Eric. Would like to know what you finally decide on. ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum Eric. Would like to know what you finally decide on. ;)
The money isn't down yet...but the quotes in hand are for a R/T Scat Pack, Shaker, pretty much fully loaded, in Hellraisin.

Looked at the wide-bodies on a dealer lot. Plastic fender flares had a 1/4 gap between them and the body, looked like crap. Probably some assembly line problem. But seeing as they made it all the way to the dealer's lot on several cars without being fixed, I am guessing they will be problematic over the vehicle's lifetime.

Besides, somewhere near the driver's seat a little kid will quietly giggle every time that 6.4 wiggles through the hood....and aside from the limited production 50th anniversary run, you can't get the shaker with a wide-body.

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,617 Posts
The money isn't down yet...but the quotes in hand are for a R/T Scat Pack, Shaker, pretty much fully loaded, in Hellraisin.

Looked at the wide-bodies on a dealer lot. Plastic fender flares had a 1/4 gap between them and the body, looked like crap. Probably some assembly line problem. But seeing as they made it all the way to the dealer's lot on several cars without being fixed, I am guessing they will be problematic over the vehicle's lifetime.

Besides, somewhere near the driver's seat a little kid will quietly giggle every time that 6.4 wiggles through the hood....and aside from the limited production 50th anniversary run, you can't get the shaker with a wide-body.

Thanks,
-Eric
Sounds like an awesome choice you're looking at. I love that new Hellraisin color. And with a shaker. Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
698 Posts
I just think that you have to give credit to those wonderful Swedish cows that gave their life so many of us can sit our asses on the wonderful Laguna leather...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I still can't visualize what the difference is between the regular headliner and the suede. I guess I need to see pics of both or a couple side by side in person to compare, but that is unlikely to happen.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
I still can't visualize what the difference is between the regular headliner and the suede. I guess I need to see pics of both or a couple side by side in person to compare, but that is unlikely to happen.
If you've seen the Alcantara / leather seats in any Challenger - the headliner would be that same material as what's in the field / facings of the seats.

the standard headliner is a woven type fabric and the pillar trim is a textured vinyl covering to simulate what the standard headliner material is like.

I expect the premium Alcantara headliner will wrap over the ends (front and back) where the standard one you can see the raw edges and the yellow color foam backing.

If you look from the front or rear glass you can see those raw edges - its typical on American makes vs. the Euro / Asian models where the fabric is usually wrapped over the edges or there's a lacing / finish trim to hide all that.

PS: get the Plus Package on that SP Shaker - you'll get the wrapped and stitched dash & door panels and the Alcatara / leather trim seats with heat and cooling / vented feature.

Default is houndstooth cloth which only has heated seat feature.

with Hellraisin color you get both interior color choices (Plus Pkg) all black or ruby red / black interior

Driver convenience group : Blind Spot / Cross Patch and HIDs (main option) is what I'd highly recommend.

If you want built in Nav - order it now. You can't get it any cheaper than as factory installed option vs. trying to swap radio HU afterwards.

Audio system: default is 6 speaker 276w with any HU (non-Nav or Nav).
Options are:
- 506w 9 speaker & sub
-900w 18 speaker (2 way & 3 way drivers) with dual sub

1 - 20 of 24 Posts