Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20' Challenger R/T 5.7L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving all!
Last night I remote started my 20' R/T walking toward the front of the car and I was surprised at how noticeable a loud ticking sound was at start up. It went away in a few seconds. My car has 12k miles and I'm changing oil at about 3k intervals. Is this everyone else's experience with this motor? Hope everyone has a nice day. GPK1961

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,438 Posts
You change the oil every 3K miles which is a bit frequent but your car your choice. Better to change the oil too often than not often enough. I assume you are using the oil Dodge recommends for the engine?

Loud ticking is subjective. Also, there is the tendency of some owners -- and this is understandable -- to be quite sensitive to noises coming from the car. This is good and bad. Often if there is a problem an early warning of it can be signaled by a noise. So you want to be familiar with how your car sounds so you can note if you hear something different. For example in my experience a low background rumbling sound at cold start from one engine proved to be a bad water pump. But for 172K miles the engine only manifested its usual noises upon start up.

The bad is one can hear noises and the brain magnifies these into a problem and thus imagine something wrong when what one is hearing is normal.

You say you remote started the engine. This suggests you did so on a cold day. Engines -- and healthy ones -- are always noisier in colder weather. And noises emitted by the engine are transmitted better from the engine and then from the car.

But reading between the lines that you just are now asking about this and not sooner and with 12K miles on the car suggests -- just suggests -- the noise might (might) not be normal (or is normal but at the noisier end of normal).

Cutting to the chase, the best advice I can offer is be sure you know how to reproduce the noise and arrange to demo the noise to a tech.

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
310 Posts
I've had three 5.7s. Two in 2500 trucks and one In my 2010 RT bought new Challenger.
All three had a tick. My 2010 Challenger concerned me most because it was bought new. It ticked until the day it was totaled 10 years and 74000 miles later

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,271 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all!
Last night I remote started my 20' R/T walking toward the front of the car and I was surprised at how noticeable a loud ticking sound was at start up. It went away in a few seconds. My car has 12k miles and I'm changing oil at about 3k intervals. Is this everyone else's experience with this motor? Hope everyone has a nice day. GPK1961
It sounds like a little oil drain down/bleed from lifters causing the "tick" at start up.

My previous R/TC did this occasionally. I started using the SRT filter which virtually eliminated this start up "tick."

Worth trying.

Packing materials Shipping box Font Packaging and labeling Carton

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
True story. My 09 M6 RT did this. Switched to Amsoil 0-30 (against factory recommendation for weight). Warmed it up, then romped on it. Wheel hop and tire smoke. Never ticked again. Purred.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
276 Posts
Yes, If the anti-drain back flapper valve leaks it can do this. Its more than a tick, more like a brief clatter.
I too went to the MOPAR MO-041 or 5038041AA and maybe get it one in 100 starts.

I was a Wix fan boy for a long time but the anti-drain back valves on 3 in a row were not working.

·
Registered
20' Challenger R/T 5.7L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great advice and thanks for the response. This group is great. I have seen the tick comments about the 5.7 but I usually start the car with me in it. This time I was in front of it. I have two older cars and you get to know what sounds they make on a cold start, but I had not heard my Challenger do this. I'll try the filter and if it continues bring it by the Dealer to make sure it is not an issue. Thanks again - GPK1961

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
310 Posts
I've had three 5.7s. Two in 2500 trucks and one In my 2010 RT bought new Challenger.
All three had a tick. My 2010 Challenger concerned me most because it was bought new. It ticked until the day it was totaled 10 years and 74000 miles later

To add to my statement my Challenger had the Mopar Exhaust on it from new and you heard the tick.

It also would shoot a puff of smoke out of the Exhaust at start up from day one. Ran like a raped ape.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
857 Posts
ONLY if it sits for weeks before starting. I use sythetic every 5-6K or 1 year, whichever comes 1st.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
True story. My 09 M6 RT did this. Switched to Amsoil 0-30 (against factory recommendation for weight). Warmed it up, then romped on it. Wheel hop and tire smoke. Never ticked again. Purred.
Actually FCA approved 0w40 for M6 RTs suffering from noisy valvetrain.

My M6 RT challenger would sit for weeks and first startup would always cause some lifter clatter. I used to run wix now the SRT filter but I also would precrank before I start and have not had the issue since. Now when I first bought my challenger, it did make considerable noise at around 2k rpm. For that I swapped out the pushrods with aftermarket ones which gave a little more preload and now no more noise.

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
Assuming it still has a warranty and you can replicate the issue. I would take it in and have a reputable Dodge dealer look at it. Never had any sort of tick with my 18 but it only has 10k miles on it.
To a dealership employee these cars are no more special than any other car there. Most techs hate what they do, it’s clear as day and readable by looking at them. Speak to them, they are so matter if fact it doesn’t instill confidence in them.
If it’s a warranty issue and they get a reduced rate they care even less.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
771 Posts
To a dealership employee these cars are no more special than any other car there. Most techs hate what they do, it’s clear as day and readable by looking at them. Speak to them, they are so matter if fact it doesn’t instill confidence in them.
If it’s a warranty issue and they get a reduced rate they care even less.
Please don't paint all dealership employees with the same brush. It is true that some don't know how to do or even care about the job they are doing, but that is not true of all of us in the dealerships. It is also true that some independent shops have the same issues. I try to treat other's cars as well or even better than my own. I have seen the same thing in independent shops that I worked in in years past. I have observed that the dealership service department is at times the last resort because the independent shops often pick off the simple possible solutions before saying "Take it to the dealership". I don't want to say all independent shops have uncaring or incompetent techs, just that the level of skill and respect varies in many ways and places.

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
Please don't paint all dealership employees with the same brush. It is true that some don't know how to do or even care about the job they are doing, but that is not true of all of us in the dealerships. It is also true that some independent shops have the same issues. I try to treat other's cars as well or even better than my own. I have seen the same thing in independent shops that I worked in in years past. I have observed that the dealership service department is at times the last resort because the independent shops often pick off the simple possible solutions before saying "Take it to the dealership". I don't want to say all independent shops have uncaring or incompetent techs, just that the level of skill and respect varies in many ways and places.
How does the public know who to use at a dealership? Maybe those stellar employees need to open their own shop and the customers will gain them even more customers. Sadly stereotypes aren’t just made up, they are based on much truth.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
276 Posts
I find the service writers are the sharks. Sit in the lobby and listen to the conversations when they come in and give them the diagnosis. And when they are wrong you still get charged and no refund. The guys in the shop do as told mostly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts