Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just purchased a 2020 scat pack with now 1800 miles and now I have a coolant leak and overheat what gives the damn car is brand new any help guys

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
Can you tell what is leaking?

How much coolant has leaked out out?

As long as you didn’t continue driving it once it got hot, you are fine. It’s continued operation while in an overheated state that will kill a Hemi.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
Have you been involved in any really “spirited” driving?

The coolant reservoir seems to be a common issue (it is plastic and can leak at the seams) in regards to coolant leaks, although I’d deem it odd on a low mile, newer car such as yours.

Have you verified the radiator cooling fan motor is working?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you been involved in any really “spirited” driving?

The coolant reservoir seems to be a common issue (it is plastic and can leak at the seams) in regards to coolant leaks, although I’d deem it odd on a low mile, newer car such as yours.

Have you verified the radiator cooling fan motor is working?
Yes the fan motors are working I didn’t even check to see if the cap was loose I just immediately took it back to the dealership and got a loaner car

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I am in Chicago and the weather isn’t that hot either it’s only 80 degrees today I notice the smell of coolant coming from the engine bay and I immediately pulled over and check the engine bay.coolant splashed everywhere over the engine bay

·
Registered
672 Posts
Could have been anything. Loss of coolant will make it overheat. Radiator, waterpump, hoses. Let the dealer fix it under the warranty. Strange that its that low mileage and an issue. Just keep an eye on it when you get it back to make sure the coolant stays full.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
Also I am in Chicago and the weather isn’t that hot either it’s only 80 degrees today I notice the smell of coolant coming from the engine bay and I immediately pulled over and check the engine bay.coolant splashed everywhere over the engine bay
That you found coolant splashed in the engine bay is telling. It would have had to hit the spinning fan blades to get scattered everywhere, so the source of the coolant is likely a seem on the radiator (where plastic vertical tanks along sides are crimped to the horizontal metal fins) or a hole in the heat exchange section itself (from a rock hitting it at high speed, etc).

Either way, the cooling system would need to be up to operating temp and under pressure to actively spew coolant out, so it wouldn’t be noticeable until driven for a while.

But you said the dealership had it now, so hopefully they’ll diagnose it and fix it properly, and you’ll be back in business in no time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That you found coolant splashed in the engine bay is telling. It would have had to hit the spinning fan blades to get scattered everywhere, so the source of the coolant is likely a seem on the radiator (where plastic vertical tanks along sides are crimped to the horizontal metal fins) or a hole in the heat exchange section itself (from a rock hitting it at high speed, etc).

Either way, the cooling system would need to be up to operating temp and under pressure to actively spew coolant out, so it wouldn’t be noticeable until driven for a while.

But you said the dealership had it now, so hopefully they’ll diagnose it and fix it properly, and you’ll be back in business in no time.
There was a lot for coolant spill over the top and lower engine bay with smoke coming from the top of the engine bay as well I’ve had this same problem in my 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT.Only with 1800 miles is still not good for a new car

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!!!
I was told yesterday that a lower hose was rubbing against a pulley which cause the leakage coolant spilling everywhere the part comes in today and I should have my car back Friday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts