Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 2020 scat pack wide body just over a week ago. Had 14 miles when we drove it away. When I filled up the fuel tank for the first time it wouldnt start. Just crank crank crank for the whole start cycle. Did it 3 times before it chugged to life. Once it started never a problem.

I recently fueled up again...second time since owning and it didnt want to start again. It finally did and chugged to life once again. Been fine since. Then today, 2 days after fueling up, check engine light comes on and throws a P0456 code, evap small leak. This has to be related.

I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer for next week. I called the out of town dealer I bought it from and they said they have never heard of this.

Anybody seen this before? Something I can check before I take it in? I hate taking my vehicles in because they always seem to get oil on the seats or scratch something. It gives me anxiety.hahaha thx

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
many things to trouble shoot
crank position sensor
fuel pump relays
fuel pressure regulator
ignition system
to see where the long cranking / intermittent start issues.

having a evap system leak on a new vehicle - that's another item to trace that out

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hope you are not trying to get as much gasoline into the tank as possible after the pump clicks off? This can flood the charcoal cannister with gasoline and this might possibly be the cause of your hard starting upon refuel. When you refuel, I would stop adding fuel once the pump clicks off. Okay to add a little bit to round off the sale amount. Try this and see if your hard starting concern goes away and the CEL stays off after resetting the light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you are not trying to get as much gasoline into the tank as possible after the pump clicks off? This can flood the charcoal cannister with gasoline and this might possibly be the cause of your hard starting upon refuel. When you refuel, I would stop adding fuel once the pump clicks off. Okay to add a little bit to round off the sale amount. Try this and see if your hard starting concern goes away and the CEL stays off after resetting the light.
Nope one click and done. That last 10th ain't gonna do anything. Hahaha

·
Registered
887 Posts
I run into this problem all the time. If you try To fill tank past 1st shut off click it fills the vapor lines with fuel. I’ve had to replace many Purge Valves because of this. Not good for the engine or motor oil. Even though you stop it at the 1st click it may have a defective Purge Valve allowing fuel past it and getting to upper part of engine. Defiantly covered under warranty. I would ask that they do a free oil change also in case it is loaded up with fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run into this problem all the time. If you try To fill tank past 1st shut off click it fills the vapor lines with fuel. I’ve had to replace many Purge Valves because of this. Not good for the engine or motor oil. Even though you stop it at the 1st click it may have a defective Purge Valve allowing fuel past it and getting to upper part of engine. Defiantly covered under warranty. I would ask that they do a free oil change also in case it is loaded up with fuel.
I was thinking the purge valve as well. Seems odd it's just off the show room floor and have issues....but the whole infant mortality plays a part in autos as well.

It was definitely discouraging driving our new car home and an hour from home had to fill up and then...it wouldnt start. Wife was not happy and I was even more not happy.

I'll ask them about the oil change. Heck I'll go out right now and smell the oil and if its gassy smelling then I know for sure and wont drive it will it's fixed.

Thx.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack B5 Blue
30 Posts
I just picked up a new 2020 scat pack wide body just over a week ago. Had 14 miles when we drove it away. When I filled up the fuel tank for the first time it wouldnt start. Just crank crank crank for the whole start cycle. Did it 3 times before it chugged to life. Once it started never a problem.

I recently fueled up again...second time since owning and it didnt want to start again. It finally did and chugged to life once again. Been fine since. Then today, 2 days after fueling up, check engine light comes on and throws a P0456 code, evap small leak. This has to be related.

I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer for next week. I called the out of town dealer I bought it from and they said they have never heard of this.

Anybody seen this before? Something I can check before I take it in? I hate taking my vehicles in because they always seem to get oil on the seats or scratch something. It gives me anxiety.hahaha thx
I had the same exact problem with my '17 Challenger. Every time I would fill it up it would take 2 or 3 tries before it would start. The only time it would have trouble starting was just after a fill up. Then I got the CEL and code P0456. The problem was the evap solenoid. There's a good chance you have the very same issue.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my '17 Challenger. Every time I would fill it up it would take 2 or 3 tries before it would start. The only time it would have trouble starting was just after a fill up. Then I got the CEL and code P0456. The problem was the evap solenoid. There's a good chance you have the very same issue.
Evap solenoid is the purge solenoid. Usally don’t see it going bad on a new car but anything is possible.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,426 Posts
Until it is diagnosed and repaired I’d avoid filling the tank to the “click.” Maybe a set amount you determine to get it to 3/4 tank at a time will relieve the hard start issue? Until it’s repaired that is....

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2015. It was the evap solenoid. It’s a $15 part that you can replace yourself if you’re so inclined.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Obviously yours being so new, you'll want the dealer to diagnose repair, but the procedure

A Guy

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’ve had my 2016 since new with 15000 miles on it never had an issue. I’ve always stopped as soon as the pump shuts off. I can’t believe how sensitive the purge valve is. Where is the valve located for future reference?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
Not worth troubleshooting when the car is brand new 2020....take it back to the dealership and have them mess with it.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
138 Posts
emission components (evap solenoid) is covered for 2 years / 24,000 miles required by federal law and documented in the warranty booklet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's under warranty and appointment on tuesday...if they still do them by then. I'll keep you all posted because I couldn't find much info on this. I have a half tank so I wont fill up until after the appointment. Or if they need to see if happen I'll do it with them in the car.

I just dont want them scratching up my black paint! Sigh....last time I took my ram to them it came back with a big greasy hand print on the seat. They detailed it and got it out but dang be more careful with people's stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
138 Posts
She looks really nice, love the WB mine is your opposite twin :)
Minus the splitter shipping protector, watch for road debris getting trapped behind the protector and scratching up the front splitter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She looks really nice, love the WB mine is your opposite twin :)
Minus the splitter shipping protector, watch for road debris getting trapped behind the protector and scratching up the front splitter.
I know the splitter protector is a hot topic. I actually like the color pop of it but have thought about removing. The dealer already had some coming in with the new hot pink protector. Dodge really hates people leaving them on though. Haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts