Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at a new 2020 Scat Pack automatic. Do these have that annoying engine start-stop "feature" where the engine shuts down automatically when you stop at a light? If so, can it be turned off? I'm looking at a Widebody if that makes any difference.

I hate this feature enough to make me not want to buy the car if it has it and can't be turned off - I can keep my 2016 which does not have this if I need to! :)

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
I am not aware of a vehicle with that functionality that will not allow it to be disabled. It might be a pain to turn off, or it may require turning off every time the engine is started, but it can always be disabled somehow.

Having said that, it is not an optional (or standard) piece of functionality available on the 2020 Challengers with the 6.4L engine and A8 transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nuke. (y)

On my wife's Porsche, you can turn it off, but you have to do so every time you start the car - very annoying when you're running errands and in and out of the car frequently.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Thanks, Nuke. (y)

On my wife's Porsche, you can turn it off, but you have to do so every time you start the car - very annoying when you're running errands and in and out of the car frequently.
Im guessing it is intentionally made to be a pain in the butt like that to disable. I’m sure they prefer the driver not disable it, and that’s their attempt to persuade the driver to leave it enabled.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at a new 2020 Scat Pack automatic. Do these have that annoying engine start-stop "feature" where the engine shuts down automatically when you stop at a light?
No they do not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JG1

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack, Red interior, Pitch Black ext.
5 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at a new 2020 Scat Pack automatic. Do these have that annoying engine start-stop "feature" where the engine shuts down automatically when you stop at a light? If so, can it be turned off? I'm looking at a Widebody if that makes any difference.

I hate this feature enough to make me not want to buy the car if it has it and can't be turned off - I can keep my 2016 which does not have this if I need to! :)
My 2020 doesn't

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,388 Posts
FWIW, my 2018 Cadillac XT5 has this technology, and no defeat switch. There are ways to trick it, but no actual button to disable it.
And no, Challengers do not have ESS, YET!!! Since the Jeep Grand Cherokee has it with similarish drivetrain, I imagine it is close.

Reactions: JG1

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
484 Posts
...And no, Challengers do not have ESS, YET!!! Since the Jeep Grand Cherokee has it with similarish drivetrain, I imagine it is close.
Not all Jeep Grand Cherokees have this "feature". I think the 6-cylinder models do with the Pentastar drive train. The 5.7 Hemi models (which my wife drives) stays running all the time.

I don't think Dodge will bring this unliked function to the Hemi Challenger line, though it might turn up on the V6 models. Not meeting certain mileage standards requires the manufacturer to charge a 'gas guzzler' tax. Dodge has no compunction about adding that as a line item on the window sticker. What would likely happen is Dodge will simply add that tax to all models, rather than just the high performance & M6 models like they currently do.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I had a rental a couple of years back. It was a Chevy Malibu. I didn't know it had this feature. I'm sitting at a red light and see the tachometer at zero. I had a panic attack! WTF? I learned, if I kept the AC on, it would defeat this. It was summer, so it worked in my favor, but I really don't like this feature at all. I hope Challenger's never get this.

Reactions: JG1 and Dennis H

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

Here's a link to the 2020 owners manual:

Obviously it is a Canadian vehicle's owners manual which may have differences between itself and the USA vehicle owners manual.

But no auto stop/start feature is mentioned nor is the MDS feature mentioned. My 2018 Challenger Scat Pack came with MDS but I could "disable" this by putting the transmission in manual stick mode.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Note for anyone with an infected Jeep: There are aftermarket harness piggyback solutions that "automatically press the button" to disable that crap on startup. Also pulling the plug on the battery monitor will disable it.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Note for anyone with an infected Jeep: There are aftermarket harness piggyback solutions that "automatically press the button" to disable that crap on startup. Also pulling the plug on the battery monitor will disable it.
Are you talking about unplugging the battery temperature sensor on the negative ground cable?

Seems like that would affect the charging algorithm...well, I know it would affect it, but the question becomes to what extent it affects it, and is it a positive or negative effect overall...pun intended

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Compared to starting the car 67 times per commute?

... Betting is now open.
no, compared to the other methods available for disabling the undesirable behavior.

I dont have a start/stop vehicle, so it doesn’t affect me one way or another. If I did, I would want to disable the start/stop functionality for sure. How I set about disabling it would depend upon what options for disabling it were available.

If unplugging the battery temp sensor were the only way to do it, I’d likely do that.

If there were other ways to it, I’d likely prefer one of those over the battery temp sensor approach so that the PCM’s ability to command the alternator’s output wasn’t affected in a way that I might not want.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
484 Posts
....If there were other ways to it....
The annoyance is ESS needs to be shut off every power cycle. The aftermarket has a solution that effectively turns the ESS in to an on/off switch that stays in the same position after a power cycle. So turn ESS off and it stays off. But if for some perverse reason the driver desires it, the 'feature' can be turned back on.

That said... Some vehicles (Buick comes to mind) do not even have the ability to shut off ESS at all.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
The annoyance is ESS needs to be shut off every power cycle. The aftermarket has a solution that effectively turns the ESS in to an on/off switch that stays in the same position after a power cycle. So turn ESS off and it stays off. But if for some perverse reason the driver desires it, the 'feature' can be turned back on.

That said... Some vehicles (Buick comes to mind) do not even have the ability to shut off ESS at all.
Buick?!? They went out of business a long time ago! If they didn’t, they suck at advertising...and selling cars...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,650 Posts
Maybe you are unconsciously blocking them out?

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,388 Posts
Buick?!? They went out of business a long time ago! If they didn’t, they suck at advertising...and selling cars...
Funny thing, guy across the street just got a Buick, sharp car. But... Actually made in Germany, it is actually an Opel. But same difference really.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Maybe you are unconsciously blocking them out?

A Guy
Never seen it.

But the a again, I don’t watch football on TV, and that seems to be the only time they run car commercials - when coming back from commercial break into a live game.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts