Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!!! I'm the proud new owner of a brand new 2020 sxt! And this is my first post! So excited as I am to build up the car I was starting small with a CIA, working on a budget I ordered the Spectre cia for now, I went to go pull the old intake out and saw there's no hose on the air box, then I saw the hose is towards the back of the intake with a bigger clamp on it, is there anyway to still make it happen with the hose in a different spot? If not what's an intake that I could actually get that will fit? All the ones I've seen listed as 2020 don't have that hose option either

IMG_20200731_010132.jpg
IMG_20200731_010142.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You'd need to modify/cobble a hose if they didn't provide one. Yours isn't ready for 2020

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out, ran a new hose to replace the original, 2 pieces of hose and elbow joint got the job done

MVIMG_20200801_194320.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
202 Posts
That has go to be the longest Cold Air Intake I have seen.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
Two things:

1) that intake tube does not have a sound baffle like the OE one, so you will hear a much more pronounced growl (scream?) at WOT. Enjoy! 😎

2) I’m pretty sure you have installed a Cold Air Intake there, not a Central Intelligence Agency. There is definitely a difference. 🧐

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
If you consider it a problem, yes ;) It's a change on 2020s, and the manufacturers for the most part have to catch up. But them none would have a 2020 CARB EO# yet, and they'll have to have make provisions for that

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahaha auto correct 🤦🏽‍♂️ and sounds great for everything else being stock

Two things:

1) that intake tube does not have a sound baffle like the OE one, so you will hear a much more pronounced growl (scream?) at WOT. Enjoy! 😎

2) I’m pretty sure you have installed a Cold Air Intake there, not a Central Intelligence Agency. There is definitely a difference. 🧐

·
Registered
7 Posts
You’d really get more growl out of it with a cold air intake?
Thinking about punching out the headlight intake caps for more cool air to get into the engine compartment and also I wonder what would be better an open cold air intake like that one or a GT Momentum with headlight intake tube direct to it or hellcat air box with headlight intake tube direct to it 🤔 and the passenger side just open to the engine compartment maybe with a Merrick Motorsports headlight intake grill insert. what you guys think?

One thing I really wish someone would make is a better looking Intake Manifold for our 3.6 motors. Not a bad looking motor and it’s sad they have such an ugly intake manifold on top

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's has a growl but it's not all that majorly changed, but you'll notice the difference. I've been debating the headlight lens removal also but I'm scared some junk will get up in it cause I live out in the middle of no where and they're doing alot of construction so there's stuff all over. I looked at DIPS but I don't wanna spend money on that yet. Maybe after I get a few more things done

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
You’d really get more growl out of it with a cold air intake?
Thinking about punching out the headlight intake caps for more cool air to get into the engine compartment and also I wonder what would be better an open cold air intake like that one or a GT Momentum with headlight intake tube direct to it or hellcat air box with headlight intake tube direct to it 🤔 and the passenger side just open to the engine compartment maybe with a Merrick Motorsports headlight intake grill insert. what you guys think?

One thing I really wish someone would make is a better looking Intake Manifold for our 3.6 motors. Not a bad looking motor and it’s sad they have such an ugly intake manifold on top
As long as the CAI’s intake tube replaces the whole OE one, it should definitely increase the WOT growl. The OE tube has a baffle at the bend that squelches that WOT sound, so replacing it with one that has no baffle will let the engine sing, so go speak.

Example: here’s what my 2011 with the 3.6L and an Injen CAI sounded like at WOT

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
53 Posts
Do any of of you live in CA and know of CAI that are legal under the new law? Was looking at airaid but all there stuff says it can't be bought or sold in CA

·
Registered
7 Posts
As long as the CAI’s intake tube replaces the whole OE one, it should definitely increase the WOT growl. The OE tube has a baffle at the bend that squelches that WOT sound, so replacing it with one that has no baffle will let the engine sing, so go speak.

Example: here’s what my 2011 with the 3.6L and an Injen CAI sounded like at WOT

Do you have any exhaust work done or is that just with the Injen intake?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Do you have any exhaust work done or is that just with the Injen intake?
I had an aftermarket muffler in place of the stock mufflers, but that was recorded by placing the phone underneath the air filter inside the engine bay, so you don’t hear the exhaust in the clip.

But that WOT growl was loud enough that I didn’t hear the exhaust from inside the car either when at WOT. When I mashed the pedal down, that noise was all I could hear, that’s why I recorded it - I could never adequately describe to others what it really sounded like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's has a growl but it's not all that majorly changed, but you'll notice the difference. I've been debating the headlight lens removal also but I'm scared some junk will get up in it cause I live out in the middle of no where and they're doing alot of construction so there's stuff all over. I looked at DIPS but I don't wanna spend money on that yet. Maybe after I get a few more things done
Yes if your in that kind of area with all that going on if definitely get DIPS when you want to pull the caps out. Scalia Motorsports and Merrick Motorsports both offer rear headlight screens. I will be ordering some myself at least for the passenger side if anything but I’m also trying to figure out what intake I’m going to go with and what will be the best. Choices are the Hellcat air box and headlight intake tube or GT Momentum intake and tube or maybe just a different intake neck without the restrictor the stock neck has inside and do maybe the Hellcat intake box and tube connected to it. Just not sure what would be the best. Don’t really want a filter that is completely open to the engine compartment but I know some of these with the separation wall are probably the same as the fully enclosed ones as long as they seal to the bottom of the hood. Also I know some people worry about water getting in yet they say much never gets in but I seen someone connect a flexible Spectre intake tube to the back of the passenger headlamp and ran is down in the engine compartment to get cold air in but still drain any water that might come in to the bottom to be able to drain out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Do any of of you live in CA and know of CAI that are legal under the new law? Was looking at airaid but all there stuff says it can't be bought or sold in CA
Odd that the last EO# for AirAid I can fine is up through 2017. Perhaps they have decided to not get EO numbers any more. My 2016 has one and is 50 state legal

K&N has some through 2019...too early for 2020 as it takes most of the year usually, and this is not a normal year

There is no smog test for 8 years in California on a new car, so you wouldn't have any issues until 2028. I'd just get one. If by 2028 no new ones have an EO number, I'd be very surprised

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
53 Posts
Odd that the last EO# for AirAid I can fine is up through 2017. Perhaps they have decided to not get EO numbers any more. My 2016 has one and is 50 state legal

K&N has some through 2019...too early for 2020 as it takes most of the year usually, and this is not a normal year

There is no smog test for 8 years in California on a new car, so you wouldn't have any issues until 2028. I'd just get one. If by 2028 no new ones have an EO number, I'd be very surprised

A Guy
That's some great info, I didn't know about the 8 years smog check for a new car. I'll just go ahead and get which ever they can send me then, some did ship out to CA from Amazon. Looking at this one in particular. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RQ45L6/?coliid=ICSJRE84BILZ5&colid=3USOUVP6US1JW&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
That's the Red filter, more expensive then the Black there...odd. I have the Black myself

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
53 Posts
Yeah amazon is weird. They will send me the red filter one which is 30$ more or the oiled versions but not the black dry one. Comes up it can't be shipped to my location.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
It sucks that even though you could be ordering for your 2015, 2016, 2017 which have an EO# that they decide they can't ship them at all.

Maybe ask [email protected]

if they can ship. Might ask Johnny if there is a forum discount as well ;)

Might try eBay as well

By entering your car as 2016, it may be what triggers it's OK to ship...if necessary

A Guy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts