Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An exciting rumor is that there may be a hardcore Challenger ACR, in 2021, to replace the discontinued American Club Racer Viper.

Even though the Challenger ACR has already been presented, in 2011, at the SEMA Show with SRT8 goodies as a one-off concept, Dodge has failed to come up with a production model. Insider “Muther” told Allpar.com that we should look forward to two variants, one with the Hellcat Redeye engine and the other with the 392 HEMI.

He stated, “The supercharger is not allowed in some amateur racing series or classes, so the 392 makes sense” in this application. “Carbon fiber will replace steel or aluminum wherever practical,” and word has it the high position wing, large splitter, big Brembo brakes and manually adjusted suspension are heavily influenced by the Viper ACR with the Extreme Aero Package. The goal is to approach the same on-track pergormance as the Viper and compete with the Shelby GT500 and ZLI 1LE.

Muther also claims the street-legal, single-seat machine may tip the scales at less than 4,000 pounds. At the Road America circuit in Wisconsin, the Challenger ACR is said to be “within two seconds of the Viper ACR Extreme Aero Package.”

The Viper ACR was first introduced in 1999. For the 2016 model year, the Viper ACR retailed at $121,395, as opposed to $92,500 for the entry-level specification.

In addition to carbon-ceramic brakes from Brembo and special tires from Kumho, the American Club Racer dominated the racetrack with 1,500 pounds of downforce and Bilstein suspension, with 10 settings for rebound and compression. The Extreme Aero Package helped it to lap the Nürburgring Nordschleife in only 7 minutes/one second.

Don’t count Dodge out. This special Challenger just might become a reality!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Look at other articles on that website and judge for yourself if it's just spam or the automotive equivalent of the National Enquirer..

But an extremely light version of the T/A package with a wide body and new suspension package would be pretty appealing

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

Allpar is usually good. There has been some substance to what they've normally reported.

But, you guys are not wrong to be skeptical. There have always been BS and internet rumors that amount to nothing (Barracuda). So, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm just very, very hopeful. There isn't a lot of good news coming out of the automotive industry these days.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Doubt it. Not one mention on how they are going to get a Hellcat powered vehicle under 4000lbs. using the existing platform.

Under 4000lbs will only happen with an all aluminum naturally aspirated 426 ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
At least Allpar is more believable. I'm sure something is in the works as we have heard about this for quite a while. I agree it's going to be tough to cut out 400 lbs. Let's hope. Also think it's going to be big $$$.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On July 10, 2020, Tim Kuniskis, the head of passenger cars, told Muscle Cars & Trucks, that FCA would not be building a Challenger ACR. He stated, "Our cars aren't going to be track cars, it's just physics." He acknowledged that the heavy Challenger could not beat the Ford Mustang GT500, adding "I'd have to have a wing the side of a house, I'd have to have no seats."

I don't think having a successor to the Viper and Neon, for road course racing, is any big deal, since most Dodge owners identify more with drag racing.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
and so Kuniskis decided to go forward with the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Super Stock instead.

So the strip oriented models range from Scat Pack 1320 Edition and now the SRT Super Stock

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
On July 10, 2020, Tim Kuniskis, the head of passenger cars, told Muscle Cars & Trucks, that FCA would not be building a Challenger ACR. He stated, "Our cars aren't going to be track cars, it's just physics." He acknowledged that the heavy Challenger could not beat the Ford Mustang GT500, adding "I'd have to have a wing the side of a house, I'd have to have no seats."

I don't think having a successor to the Viper and Neon, for road course racing, is any big deal, since most Dodge owners identify more with drag racing.
That's a major piss off. They're trying to push Dodge as a "Performance" brand, well performance involves more than just 1/4 mile.

Keep in mind that Dodge just discontinued their highest selling models (Journey and Caravan) in order to focus on a performance lineup. That's after splitting the Ram truck into it's own brand (which people still call Dodges anyway). Those were/are very questionable decisions no matter how you see it, but regardless, what's done is done and now with an empty lineup they have plenty of time to focus on the few remaining models. Yet we only seem to get different parts bin mixing and matching each year.

Chevy and Ford didn't need to discontinue/separate almost all of their mainstream/high volume models in order to prop themselves up as being "performance" brands. They just went and did it. They were able to make the C8 Corvette and Shelby GT500 happen, among other things. So what gives? If high performance is the only thing Dodge does now, then we should be able to go toe-to-toe with those models on any track. But we aren't even in the same league.

You might say well, FCA is broke. Well, need I remind you that they have sunk a ton of money into Alfa Romeo and Maserati. They make a ton of profit from trucks and Jeeps. Even during a pandemic-hit market they still did well in North America. So that doesn't convince me either.

I will get flamed for this, but I'm going to say it: This reeks of mismanagement, and just not giving a **** about Dodge. It's the same thing year after year and I'm getting tired of it. They've gutted the brand and they just keep pushing it into a niche corner so that they don't have to put any more effort into it. Tim Kuniskis is just there to give sales pitches and milk the Hellcat/Demon 1/4 mile hype as long as possible. After that dries up, then what?

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just pissed off and I had to get this off my chest. I've been a loyal Dodge guy my whole life. So don't tell me to jump ship or or buy something else, that's not how I am. As loyal fans I think we should do our part and demand the best from our company.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's only so much you can do with a car that weighs 4,200 lbs. Maybe things will change when the new and much lighter Challenger chassis appears.

As Kuniskis said, "should we build the car like everyone else, should we go to a smaller, lighter platform, which we will have to eventually."

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
the Dodge Journey was one of the most outdated models in the line up. It still used 4 speed (4 cyl) and 6 speed automatics (3.6 V6)

It was cheap price wise, but everything was optional. Want Bluetooth? extra. and the (options list) went on. It was as if this model was lifted from 2005 and then had options from 2011 added to it.

The Caravan - also another older model last updates. This one dates back to MY 2008 with minimal updates - in this segment, its competitive in that segement and the Grand Caravan is behind.

6 speed transmission and using the old(er) 4.3" touch screens that were discontinued after MY 2014 in other lines.

The Chrysler Pacifica is replacing that model since it was introduced MY 2017

the cross over and minivan segments are the volume sellers and those older models, beyond their cheaper entry pricing, don't offer much compared to their competition.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
the Dodge Journey was one of the most outdated models in the line up. It still used 4 speed (4 cyl) and 6 speed automatics (3.6 V6)

It was cheap price wise, but everything was optional. Want Bluetooth? extra. and the (options list) went on. It was as if this model was lifted from 2005 and then had options from 2011 added to it.

The Caravan - also another older model last updates. This one dates back to MY 2008 with minimal updates - in this segment, its competitive in that segement and the Grand Caravan is behind.

6 speed transmission and using the old(er) 4.3" touch screens that were discontinued after MY 2014 in other lines.

The Chrysler Pacifica is replacing that model since it was introduced MY 2017

the cross over and minivan segments are the volume sellers and those older models, beyond their cheaper entry pricing, don't offer much compared to their competition.
Oh I know full well the Journey was horribly outdated. Despite that, it still sold fine and our customers like them. I'll admit I'm not business expert, But if a model sells good and you make profit from it, would you not want to keep doing it? Maybe give it an update so that people come back and want to trade up for it?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
There's only so much you can do with a car that weighs 4,200 lbs. Maybe things will change when the new and much lighter Challenger chassis appears.

As Kuniskis said, "should we build the car like everyone else, should we go to a smaller, lighter platform, which we will have to eventually."
Only so much they feel like doing anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts