Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 Hemi
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I know how to work this, not sure if it is working on all packages?
Regarding #4 Ambient Light Dimmer Control.
I drove car at night, last night, first time and I was expecting to use this to see exactly what it does, but seems to me it does not.
Either I am clueless, usually the case or it has no actual function on my package?

View attachment 1035054

1 — Rotate Headlight Control
2 — Push Fog Light Control
3 — Instrument Panel Dimmer Control
4 — Ambient Light Dimmer Control

·
Super Moderator
17,830 Posts
the ambient lights are in the footwells - its a low level light that you'll see in dark / night time - I think this might also control the lighting behind the interior door pulls. again, its not a bright intensity light at the full brightness setting

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
31,241 Posts
Funny video title is 2015, but fog lights shown are pre-2015 ;)

A Guy

Reactions: marpow

·
Registered
899 Posts
The dimmer knobs don't work well in my car either. It seems to be bright or dim with no in between. I didn't even know we had footwell lighting for a few days as its barely noticeable. I'll have to look into some brighter bulbs at some point. One of the things that is lacking compared to the Camaro and Mustang is a way to change the colors in the dash. I know not a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it would have been that hard to have added that feature even as an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure I know how to work this, not sure if it is working on all packages?
Regarding #4 Ambient Light Dimmer Control.
I drove car at night, last night, first time and I was expecting to use this to see exactly what it does, but seems to me it does not.
Either I am clueless, usually the case or it has no actual function on my package?

View attachment 1035054

1 — Rotate Headlight Control
2 — Push Fog Light Control
3 — Instrument Panel Dimmer Control
4 — Ambient Light Dimmer Control
Hi marpow....did you ever get the dimmer switch on the right side thumbwheel figured out? For my 2022 the right side dimmer controls the footwell light and the light in the door arm rest back behind the door handle (lights up the cup holder that I think the Dodge people call the map pocket). The only way I could get it to work was the ignition has to be in Acc (it probably would also work in the Run/On position also). Turning the lights on did not work. According to the Owners Manual the right side wheel it is also suppose to operate the ambient light in the overhead console but I can't get it to work...suspect error in the Manual. It looks like from further research the owners manual changed between 2015 and 2022. Previously the headlight switch had to be on (same verbiage as is in the 2022 manual for the left side IP dimmer). Thanks

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi marpow....did you ever get the dimmer switch on the right side thumbwheel figured out? For my 2022 the right side dimmer controls the footwell light and the light in the door arm rest back behind the door handle (lights up the cup holder that I think the Dodge people call the map pocket). The only way I could get it to work was the ignition has to be in Acc (it probably would also work in the Run/On position also). Turning the lights on did not work. According to the Owners Manual the right side wheel it is also suppose to operate the ambient light in the overhead console but I can't get it to work...suspect error in the Manual. It looks like from further research the owners manual changed between 2015 and 2022. Previously the headlight switch had to be on (same verbiage as is in the 2022 manual for the left side IP dimmer). Thanks
You know there are so many great things about Challengers, and some things they are in the stone age.
My dimmer wheel effects, two footwells, two water bottle holders at door, two pin lights behind front seats in headliner.
When I get in car, only in the darkest of night, I can see them and the dimmer wheel works, but the LEDS take on a low voltage, and you cannot replace with standard LED strips for instance because they require more voltage.
So, what I did was I bypassed the thumb wheel, it still works with the OEM LED crappy lights, and connected two LED strips in both footwells that come on automatically when headlights go on. If raining and headlights are on in daytime barely noticeable, if night time, it is a non distracting constant soft red glow, looks cool.
I really wanted to change the OEM LED's but I could not figure it out without making a super giant project out of it.
Car Steering part Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks marpow...thanks for being so through. I was interested in your overhead lights in particular. I had a 2020 that I thought dimmed those lights but my 2022 doesn't. A buddy of mine says his overhead lights also don't dim. It's almost like the factory assembly personnel go to the parts bin and install whatever they pick up. You did a nice job on the footwell lights...goes good w/ the red piping.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You know there are so many great things about Challengers, and some things they are in the stone age.
My dimmer wheel effects, two footwells, two water bottle holders at door, two pin lights behind front seats in headliner.
When I get in car, only in the darkest of night, I can see them and the dimmer wheel works, but the LEDS take on a low voltage, and you cannot replace with standard LED strips for instance because they require more voltage.
So, what I did was I bypassed the thumb wheel, it still works with the OEM LED crappy lights, and connected two LED strips in both footwells that come on automatically when headlights go on. If raining and headlights are on in daytime barely noticeable, if night time, it is a non distracting constant soft red glow, looks cool.
I really wanted to change the OEM LED's but I could not figure it out without making a super giant project out of it.
View attachment 1051075
So what did you use and how did you install them?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
31,241 Posts
And cup holders ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks marpow...thanks for being so through. I was interested in your overhead lights in particular. I had a 2020 that I thought dimmed those lights but my 2022 doesn't. A buddy of mine says his overhead lights also don't dim. It's almost like the factory assembly personnel go to the parts bin and install whatever they pick up. You did a nice job on the footwell lights...goes good w/ the red piping.
The two overhead lights I purchased on AMAZON this brand has lots of versions, they do not dim but they look great when on. And when you choose the color RED it does not effect your eyes, like night time telescope users always read there sky maps with red light.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Does the 2022 headlight switch have an OFF position?

I know for Canada cars last year they changed the switch and eliminated the OFF, just curious about the USA cars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
521 Posts
Marpow, I like your interior red lighting.

However, I don't like auto headlights. They are way too aggressive for me. I will tell them when I want them on. For example, I don't need them to come on when I sit under a 150 foot bridge in the shade at a stoplight, when the rest of the area is full sunlight. But, that's just me. I'm a control freak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the 2022 headlight switch have an OFF position?

I know for Canada cars last year they changed the switch and eliminated the OFF, just curious about the USA cars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hey Slidd...2022 sure does just to left of the parking light position and the Auto position is one more to the Left (had to go look to confirm LOL). No fog lamps in the 2020 Redeye or 2022 Super Stock (probably other years also). Never owned a Hellcat (wanted one but couldn't see may way back then and then came the power bucks and it reeled me in hook, line, and sinker).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts