Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I can honestly say, I have no intention of trading in my 2016. This latest announcement confirms it for me. Not just because my car has been great, but also because they aren't offering anything really new or fresh. There is barely any reason to trade in now, if you already have the car you wanted.
I have a 2016 also, and I feel the same way as you. I have the car I always wanted, and other than adding a couple of different colors each year, there isn't much that has changed from the 2015 model year.

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
416 Posts
More stuff for "rich kids"? We are talking Dodge Challengers right?

The whole notion of this car for "rich kids"......not-so-much. There are no crazy expensive versions of the car. All versions are reasonably priced and within reach of anyone with a decent job.
Yeah, actually, any car over 50 or 60ish is crazy expensive for us serfs, hate to break it to ya..

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
But how many stock Demons ran 9.65? I don't think any did so maybe the Super Sport time is also more realistic.

Demonology on the Legions of Demons meet last year where over fifty cars met in Texas trying to match the 9.65 set by Leah Pritchett. Info starts at 2:00 into clip. One stock tire full interior car ran a 9.7 and one Redeye ran a 10.3...

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Yeah, actually, any car over 50 or 60ish is crazy expensive for us serfs, hate to break it to ya..
Now the question is, what annual incomes do you have to buy a 50-60k vehicle?
Some live for their ride while others it’s not a problem to cover it.
It’s all about perceived value.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
491 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can honestly say, I have no intention of trading in my 2016. This latest announcement confirms it for me. Not just because my car has been great, but also because they aren't offering anything really new or fresh. There is barely any reason to trade in now, if you already have the car you wanted.
Completely agree, my 2016 SRT 392 is doing just fine with only 36,000 miles on it (I put on 15k of those). The only thing I'd consider trading it in for is a Hellcat, but I don't, because I can't afford it and I'm underwater on my loan anyway. Plus, it's hard to beat that tip end torque/throttle response from an NA monster like the 392.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sigh I gotta say, I'm not liking that Dodge isn't giving any of us NA guys some love. Top level halo cars mean diddly to us regular folks who can't afford them anytime soon. Hell, I can barely afford my 2016 SRT 392, I only bought it because I'm young and unmarried and a military officer. If and when I can trade up to a Hellcat, I probably will, but some folks may never have that opportunity.

I know Dodge wants to be the king of the drag strip and not the autocross track, and that's fine. That's a cool niche that works for them and us. The Challenger is a very solid, comfortable, and reliable platform that has pretty much all the bugs worked out (except for these water pumps on the Hemis), I love my car and I certainly wouldn't trade it for a Mustang or Camaro. But now Dodge is trying to sell this "brotherhood of muscle" lifestyle, kind of like how Harley Davidson sells a lifestyle, and that doesn't work when the vast majority of your customers (especially the ones who drag race) are buying the lower tier models like the R/T's and Scat Packs, and it doesn't work when they offer little to no OEM support for modifying your car. Hell, they don't even cover track usage under the warranty anymore! Not even on the SRT models. Ford Racing does such a better job of this, which I hate to say because I like the Mustang a lot less, as a car.

I guess this is a problem that at least partially stems from FCA having too little R&D money, which gets mostly funneled into trucks and SUV's (FCA's real volume sellers and money makers) and into revamping the European brands that Fiat owns, like Alfa Romeo and Maserati. I don't forsee this problem getting any better when Peugot gets involved, unless they see value in giving Dodge's muscle car lineup some needed updates and upgrades.

We all agree that the Challenger is the best looking, most reliable, and most usable/comfortable sport coupe that any of the Big Three produce. It's the closest most of us will ever get to driving a 70's Mopar and with modern comforts/conveniences, that's why we love them. But that doesn't mean the car can't be even better than it currently is, and for not too much more effort or money.

For instance, something as simple as an upgraded intake manifold and cam profile redesign, a new tune, and maybe an option for LT headers and a 3.31 gear (for automatics) from the factory, could squeeze out 515 to 545 horsepower from the 392 without sacrificing too much, if any, low end torque and throttle response. If they did this, then it would make perfect sense to give the 5.7 some 392 parts bin love (intake manifold, cam, new tune, etc). Anything beyond that, such as a 100lb lighter aluminum block or a hybrid DI/SMPI system, would just be gravy on top.

Another example, why does Dodge not let us option an HP90 transmission and the beefier Hellcat rear axles with the 392 cars from the factory, ESPECIALLY in a 1320 package?? I'd gladly pay another $2000 for that! Yes you can tune an HP70 to not slip at 535 lb ft of torque, but it's a lot harder on the trans hardware over time.

I realize this will probably have to wait for the rework of the LX platform in 2023, but losing some weight, dropping the ride height (seriously, what's with the AWD look on some of these cars?), and improving the suspension geometry will help the car ride and handle better, be faster, and HOPEFULLY let us fit 10.5-11 inch rims and 305 tires in the back from the factory without doing a wide body fender flare kit.

I realize most people who drive and keep these cars don't care as much about this stuff as I do, but I've seen PLENTY of pre-owned R/T's and 392's in Ford dealership lots. That says something that FCA should pay attention to. I wouldn't ever do that, but a lot of people obviously do.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
724 Posts
I'd like to see an Dodge Durango with a 426...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'd like to see an Dodge Durango with a 426...

View attachment 997381
Lol, that looks almost exactly like the Durango I had before I bought my current Challenger, it was just in the darker inferno red color (which I actually really liked). But that 4.7 PowerTech V8 was trouble, the early ones had a tendency to eat through their head gaskets and crack/warp their heads. That was about a $3500 repair job.

That aside, can you imagine how much of a gas hog a 426 Durango would be? Probably equal to the Hellcat Durango without the same bump in power to make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Sigh I gotta say, I'm not liking that Dodge isn't giving any of us NA guys some love. Top level halo cars mean diddly to us regular folks who can't afford them anytime soon. Hell, I can barely afford my 2016 SRT 392, I only bought it because I'm young and unmarried and a military officer. If and when I can trade up to a Hellcat, I probably will, but some folks may never have that opportunity.
As a retired E-7 I know what you mean. And I think all of your other points are valid. The only exception I have is about ride height. That's one of the reasons I didn't get another R/T (I've had 4) or Scat, but bought an SXT this time. One of my R/Ts had STP and it just ruined the ride for me. I know I'm in the extreme minority for this but my 2010 R/T had a really nice comfortable ride. Yes, it rolled like a 1970 Chrysler Imperial Barge (I know because I learned to drive on my Grandmother's) so I agree that was perhaps a bit too much comfort. So the 2011 and up standard suspension is a good compromise. Unfortunately now, we do not have a choice with any V8 of getting the standard suspension and as I said, the rough ride on the one low rider suspension I had was no fun. Maybe other areas of the Country have smoother roads. Plus I happened one day to barely tap a concrete parking bumper with my STP car and when you do that I discovered that you will easily snap the lower grille apart in a hidden area. The lower grille is a much larger peice than you would think. It also extends down and into the softer plastic spoiler to fill the void and provide support. As far as 'Stangs go, I used to be a Mustang and F-150 guy until the third gen Challenger came out. Then I came back into the fold. I was a Mopar guy in my very young years before Lee Iaccocca began making "K-cars". I had a 1973 Dodge Coronet and a 1974 Challenger back then. Back in 2010 I was contemplating the reto looking Mustang too. But, the Challenger was always #1 in styling for me so I can't be without one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
As a retired E-7 I know what you mean. And I think all of your other points are valid. The only exception I have is about ride height. That's one of the reasons I didn't get another R/T (I've had 4) or Scat, but bought an SXT this time. One of my R/Ts had STP and it just ruined the ride for me. I know I'm in the extreme minority for this but my 2010 R/T had a really nice comfortable ride. Yes, it rolled like a 1970 Chrysler Imperial Barge (I know because I learned to drive on my Grandmother's) so I agree that was perhaps a bit too much comfort. So the 2011 and up standard suspension is a good compromise. Unfortunately now, we do not have a choice with any V8 of getting the standard suspension and as I said, the rough ride on the one low rider suspension I had was no fun. Maybe other areas of the Country have smoother roads. Plus I happened one day to barely tap a concrete parking bumper with my STP car and when you do that I discovered that you will easily snap the lower grille apart in a hidden area. The lower grille is a much larger peice than you would think. It also extends down and into the softer plastic spoiler to fill the void and provide support. As far as 'Stangs go, I used to be a Mustang and F-150 guy until the third gen Challenger came out. Then I came back into the fold. I was a Mopar guy in my very young years before Lee Iaccocca began making "K-cars". I had a 1973 Dodge Coronet and a 1974 Challenger back then. Back in 2010 I was contemplating the reto looking Mustang too. But, the Challenger was always #1 in styling for me so I can't be without one.
You remind me of my dad lol, he was never military but he did police work for 6 years, part of it in Oakland and Concord, California. In the 1980's. I'd say that counts as a tour of duty. He's always been a Mopar guy and he definitely prefers the old cars to the new. He had at various times a '70 Coronet with a built 440, a '71 Coronet with a 318, and a '74 Charger with a built 360.

Can't fault Iococa for doing what he did, it was probably the only thing that saved Chrysler in that era. But yeah, the lines of the old and new Mopars are just timeless.

I do like the sleeker lines and the rear of the new S550 Mustang, and the interior (surprisingly roomy for its size), but the fast back is just a tad too flat, and the headlights and front bumper/fascia just look all wrong.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Hell, they don't even cover track usage under the warranty anymore! Not even on the SRT models. Ford Racing does such a better job of this, which I hate to say because I like the Mustang a lot less, as a car.

The SRT Demon is covered for track use issues if running all the factory equipment and totally stock, was the info I received from the dealer. Thinking the new Super Stock may have that coverage as well...

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
You remind me of my dad lol, he was never military but he did police work for 6 years, part of it in Oakland and Concord, California. In the 1980's. I'd say that counts as a tour of duty. He's always been a Mopar guy and he definitely prefers the old cars to the new. He had at various times a '70 Coronet with a built 440, a '71 Coronet with a 318, and a '74 Charger with a built 360.

Can't fault Iococa for doing what he did, it was probably the only thing that saved Chrysler in that era. But yeah, the lines of the old and new Mopars are just timeless.

I do like the sleeker lines and the rear of the new S550 Mustang, and the interior (surprisingly roomy for its size), but the fast back is just a tad too flat, and the headlights and front bumper/fascia just look all wrong.
That's funny because I also had a bit of L.E. experience when I was in college before I joined the military. Our department had 1971 Chevys and 1973 Dodge Polara's with a 440. It was catch as catch can so I'd always grab a Dodge if available. Get on the interstate and floor it and you could watch the gas gauge drop.

·
Registered
936 Posts
That's funny because I also had a bit of L.E. experience when I was in college before I joined the military. Our department had 1971 Chevys and 1973 Dodge Polara's with a 440. It was catch as catch can so I'd always grab a Dodge if available. Get on the interstate and floor it and you could watch the gas gauge drop.
Lol I'm sure that was fun, my dad's department had Dodge Monacos with the same engine. He reported the same experience with the gas gauge.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
that I discovered that you will easily snap the lower grille apart in a hidden area. The lower grille is a much larger peice than you would think. It also extends down and into the softer plastic spoiler to fill the void and provide support.
Yup , found out the hard way ... the grille didnt break but there is a piece that extends to under the front grille for support and is about the size half the car in width and length,

that piece broke in half And was scraping the floor , but the front grille surprisengly Didnt , i just randomly zipped lock random parts to keep it in place until i reached the dealership where i am now and have to wait another hour for them to open.

not sure if you want it to be lower or what , i understand it would look 100% better but that would be on the expense of ride comfort and having it scrape every little thing ...

the design beneath the car sure is surprising and not as you would expect it at all

at this point i think the front grille “lip” would only break if you smash it with a hammer on pourpse...

everything else would scrape and break before the front grille which i assume you mean front “lip” with it

and i agree that dodge would lose everything if they go mustang or camaro route in design ... it is the only thing that is keeping them on top

i couldve gotten a c6 or a fully loaded camaro ss Or hell maybe a zl1 for just some change extra for the price of this scat , but they just dont compare , the ride comfort alone puts all the debate to rest

and damn that red or go mango super stock srt is the most beautiful car ive ever seen ...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yup , found out the hard way ... the grille didnt break but there is a piece that extends to under the front grille for support and is about the size half the car in width and length,

that piece broke in half And was scraping the floor , but the front grille surprisengly Didnt , i just randomly zipped lock random parts to keep it in place until i reached the dealership where i am now and have to wait another hour for them to open.

not sure if you want it to be lower or what , i understand it would look 100% better but that would be on the expense of ride comfort and having it scrape every little thing ...

the design beneath the car sure is surprising and not as you would expect it at all

at this point i think the front grille “lip” would only break if you smash it with a hammer on pourpse...

everything else would scrape and break before the front grille which i assume you mean front “lip” with it

and i agree that dodge would lose everything if they go mustang or camaro route in design ... it is the only thing that is keeping them on top

i couldve gotten a c6 or a fully loaded camaro ss Or hell maybe a zl1 for just some change extra for the price of this scat , but they just dont compare , the ride comfort alone puts all the debate to rest

and damn that red or go mango super stock srt is the most beautiful car ive ever seen ...
I believe that's a TorRed car, its a red with a good bit of orange in it. Having seen one in person the GoMango is more obviously orange.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Demonology on the Legions of Demons meet last year where over fifty cars met in Texas trying to match the 9.65 set by Leah Pritchett. Info starts at 2:00 into clip. One stock tire full interior car ran a 9.7 and one Redeye ran a 10.3...

HOT ROD ON
Putting Leah Pritchett in the driver's seat would do it. I bet she's 100 pounds lighter than most Challenger owners, plus she's Leah Pritchett.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only exception I have is about ride height. That's one of the reasons I didn't get another R/T (I've had 4) or Scat, but bought an SXT this time. One of my R/Ts had STP and it just ruined the ride for me. I know I'm in the extreme minority for this but my 2010 R/T had a really nice comfortable ride. Yes, it rolled like a 1970 Chrysler Imperial Barge (I know because I learned to drive on my Grandmother's) so I agree that was perhaps a bit too much comfort. So the 2011 and up standard suspension is a good compromise. Unfortunately now, we do not have a choice with any V8 of getting the standard suspension and as I said, the rough ride on the one low rider suspension I had was no fun. Maybe other areas of the Country have smoother roads. Plus I happened one day to barely tap a concrete parking bumper with my STP car and when you do that I discovered that you will easily snap the lower grille apart in a hidden area. The lower grille is a much larger peice than you would think. It also extends down and into the softer plastic spoiler to fill the void and provide support.
This is me exactly. When I was looking to buy a R/T in 2019, I was bummed to find out that STP was no longer optional, but standard. I liked the ride of my 2013 R/T w/o STP, and on our roads my SP with Dynamics package was a jarring.. So, I found a leftover 2018 and have the ride I wanted. I like the ground clearance, too, and not having to worry about bottoming out. (y)

101 - 119 of 119 Posts