·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
213 Posts
What I take from it is an aluminum block V8 :smile: :smile: They say think 550hp with 700hp supercharged version. Got to be the 426??

·
Registered
162 Posts
I kind of like that side profile. The rear somewhat reminds me of a Bugatti Veyron. One day I want a Viper, but i wonder what day I'll be able to afford one...

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Glad to see the Viper is coming back. I really like the new body style. The old one was becoming very dated.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I like it.

With the advent of a V8, I hope it's get closer to the $60,000 starting range to compete with the Corvette.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The aluminum block V8 caught my eye. But would they then put that in a Challenger as well? Like the Vette always gets the most powerful engine, wouldn't they want the Viper to as well?

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T
180 Posts
Thanks for posting this. The Viper being released is the first step in my dream of owning a Viper. Step two is saving for the rest of my life and hopefully being able to get it before I die!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
If they don't want this to fail again they best compete price-wise with the Vette. The old guard Viper guys who have the money to fork out $100K that I knew when I had one are getting old... Dodge needs to make a cheaper version to be able to sell this. The base price needs to be in the $65-70K range, and they need to add an automatic option.

The last iteration of this car failed because Dodge listened too much to the very rich and influentail Viper Club of America that I was a member of who's leadership and most members demanded a V-10 and no automatic or they wouldn't buy. Dodge caved into those demands and could not sell enough to those people to keep it going. I hope they learned their lesson.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Makes complete sense that if the Viper is brought back it would be redesigned to be able to compete more directly with the Vette and at a similar price point. Hence the doing away with the V10. Using a 426 aluminum V8 that will be shared in other models makes it more cost effective.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Makes complete sense that if the Viper is brought back it would be redesigned to be able to compete more directly with the Vette and at a similar price point. Hence the doing away with the V10. Using a 426 aluminum V8 that will be shared in other models makes it more cost effective.
Can't wait for the collective tantrum from the Viper snobs about how less unique it's going to be.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,717 Posts
The aluminum block V8 caught my eye. But would they then put that in a Challenger as well? Like the Vette always gets the most powerful engine, wouldn't they want the Viper to as well?

A Guy
True, but they use the same engine, just either detune it a bit or lose power through exhaust or things like that. It works well for GM and Ford.

I think that it'd be more financially wise to use the same engine instead of spending more money to build a specific motor for a specific car.

That Viper is Sharp and would be a BEAST if you took some of that weight off of the front end. Think of a Viper ACR version, which they'd need to go after the ZR1 (which is an Absolute Animal)!

If they don't want this to fail again they best compete price-wise with the Vette. The old guard Viper guys who have the money to fork out $100K that I knew when I had one are getting old... Dodge needs to make a cheaper version to be able to sell this. The base price needs to be in the $65-70K range, and they need to add an automatic option.

The last iteration of this car failed because Dodge listened too much to the very rich and influentail Viper Club of America that I was a member of who's leadership and most members demanded a V-10 and no automatic or they wouldn't buy. Dodge caved into those demands and could not sell enough to those people to keep it going. I hope they learned their lesson.
That would be Awesome if they priced it like that and pull from the Vette crowd!

Heck, a Viper with either a DCT or something like Porsche's PDK trans would be the cat's meow! While alot of peeps love their manual transmissions, I'd think to have the option for an automatic would sell more cars. They did that for the C7 Z06 (C5 and C6 Z06 were stick only) and sell more autos than sticks.

In the words found on Field of Dreams..............."Build it and they will come!"

Can't wait for the collective tantrum from the Viper snobs about how less unique it's going to be.
I agree with what you're saying and My suggestion to them would be to not buy one then and jump yourself over to Porsche or something!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Calling it now.

Aluminum V8, possibly force inducted standard or as an option, with electric assist standard or as an option.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,717 Posts
Lol, I HOPE I'm right. And I agree that Dodge needs to make it a more affordable everyman type vehicle, screw those Viper elitists. Uniqueness isn't what's important, performance and affordability is.

I do agree.

Bottom line is that selling cars is what keeps an auto manufacturer in business and if they could sell Vipers for the price of a loaded Stingray C7 Vette, then they'd sell more of them to folks like us than to make it "exclusive" and sell a few to people that are well off.

Work on the volume aspect of sales more than the higher price/higher profit margin (which obviously didn't work because they no longer make them because people stopped buying them).

Just my thoughts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts