Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 R/T. Really (REALLY) old garage door opener. Early design that sends out an rf signal that the garage door recognizes and energizes the motor. The frequency is set on a dip switch chip in the remote. 35+ year old technology. No "learn" mode or any of that.

When I try to pair the remote and homelink it never goes to fast blinking. It's like homelink can't recognize that the remote is transmitting a frequency. Remote batteries are fine. Tried several remotes. Homelink does reset correctly.

Someone speculated that the newer homelinks only pair to digital remotes which could be true but doesn't say much about Dodge's understanding of backward compatibility. There's still lots of those old analog remote devices out there.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well, there is backwards compatibility... and stone age compatibility. I'd be willing to bet no manufacturer will linkup with your antique opener. Completely different tech.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, there is backwards compatibility... and stone age compatibility. I'd be willing to bet no manufacturer will linkup with your antique opener. Completely different tech.
I guess I should have asked if anyone has any knowledgeable insight into this, not baseless speculation. No offense but ... I'm willing to accept that that Mopar is unwilling to design their system to recognize older RF technologies but I'd like to hear that from someone who has factual knowledge that this is the case.

I do appreciate the band-aid upgrade info but at this point I'm not overly keen to add another layer of complexity into the environment while trying to solve my base problem.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
I guess I should have asked if anyone has any knowledgeable insight into this...
Read what I posted. If the opener works with a simple push button connection in your garage, you can add a modern receiver to it and use modern remotes, keypads, and homelink can learn those remotes.
I don't know if that exact one I posted will work, but I do know they exist. I did it myself back in the early 1990s and added a remote to an ancient opener that didn't even have a remote, only pushbutton on the wall. (basically a doorbell button)

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
And remember, homelink, you
1 - teach the car to mimic the remote
2 - teach the opener to accept the homelink
I have my Challenger working with an ancient Craftsman opener, the woodgrain, 2 button on the wall unit thingy. Predates safety sensors even.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Homelink on my 2018 worked great with my 25 year old garage opener.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts