Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1281 - 1300 of 1424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Reactions: BgVegas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this a common thing that has happened in the past that slowed down production at the factory with Dodge as far as part shortages? I know Chev. I ran into things that slowed the ordered down where one or more of their parts vendors couldn't deliver or because of "constraints" so instead of getting that Precision Red color I ended up with another color which was fine because in the end everything turned out positive in that the color was a better color for me to manage and maintain.
I wasn't offered a $395 grey wheel option from factory as that came in later in the year after my car was built. I wanted that option, that would have cost me $1,600+ to buy those factory wheels. Ditto for dual top option 1,600 that held up order so I just ordered the painted top 0 charge so order was not held up and bought a translucent top 6 months later at a discounted price from parts department from a customer who didn't want it. Now that saved me $1,000 dollars and time from the factory order.
This is my first time dealing with Dodge (or buying a new car for that matter) so I do not know how common delays are with them. That being said, the current situation with the global chip shortage (now likely complicated with delays for other parts due to Suez Canal blockage backlog) is very rare and possibly unprecedented. It is affecting almost every automaker (Ford even idled the plant for their cash-cow F150 at one point) so Dodge doesn't have to worry about losing sales to other makes as they are all in the same boat. From what I have read, auto sales for the first quarter were very strong so there probably is not a lot of excess inventory now to start with. There is just very little reason for incentives at this time.
My comments were based on family member's experiences in the Corvette community (which it sounds like you have had experience with as well) where production constraints/part shortages seem to be more common. My point was that the longer you wait the more likely you are to get incentives, but you risk the particular configuration you want no longer being available. In some cases it works out fine. For instance for most people, the change from Long Beach Red to Red Mist on the Corvette wouldn't be an issue since the colors are relatively close. However if you were dead set on a Plum Crazy Challenger, I doubt you would be happy with Hellraisin. Although they are both purple, there is quite a difference in the overall look.
That is part of the reason why I have gone ahead and put in an order even though it is a bit of stretch at this point. Naturally aspirated V8 performance cars with manual transmissions are being regulated out of existence. Even Dodge's CEO has come out publicly saying they are not going to be around much longer. My long search of the market has also made it clear that the chance of me finding one on the lot or used equipped the way I want is close to zero, so I went ahead an ordered one.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
This is my first time dealing with Dodge (or buying a new car for that matter) so I do not know how common delays are with them. That being said, the current situation with the global chip shortage (now likely complicated with delays for other parts due to Suez Canal blockage backlog) is very rare and possibly unprecedented. It is affecting almost every automaker (Ford even idled the plant for their cash-cow F150 at one point) so Dodge doesn't have to worry about losing sales to other makes as they are all in the same boat. From what I have read, auto sales for the first quarter were very strong so there probably is not a lot of excess inventory now to start with. There is just very little reason for incentives at this time.
My comments were based on family member's experiences in the Corvette community (which it sounds like you have had experience with as well) where production constraints/part shortages seem to be more common. My point was that the longer you wait the more likely you are to get incentives, but you risk the particular configuration you want no longer being available. In some cases it works out fine. For instance for most people, the change from Long Beach Red to Red Mist on the Corvette wouldn't be an issue since the colors are relatively close. However if you were dead set on a Plum Crazy Challenger, I doubt you would be happy with Hellraisin. Although they are both purple, there is quite a difference in the overall look.
That is part of the reason why I have gone ahead and put in an order even though it is a bit of stretch at this point. Naturally aspirated V8 performance cars with manual transmissions are being regulated out of existence. Even Dodge's CEO has come out publicly saying they are not going to be around much longer. My long search of the market has also made it clear that the chance of me finding one on the lot or used equipped the way I want is close to zero, so I went ahead an ordered one.
" Naturally aspirated V8 performance cars with manual transmissions are being regulated out of existence "

I couldn't agree more! It's why I went ahead and ordered my 21' SPWB Shaker M6. I really wanted Plum Crazy but since it is not available this year I went with Indigo Blue, HellRaisin', while striking, was too dark for me. In person, Indigo actually has allot of Purple in it. For some reason it looks more blue in pictures to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
All fluff and no substance. Sad but typical in this day and age. :(
Yeah, I suppose the important thing for them was being seen in a public forum being helpful, but in private conversation it's not worth their concern. Only reason I posted it back in here, wouldn't want people having the wrong impression. Genuinely would have been completely fine if they hadn't reached out or asked me to message at all.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Yes. The black carbon rims. I love how deep they look. The tires are bigger than my Durango.
Me too, ordered them on my 21' SPWB Shaker M6. Ordered it 12/10. Arrived 3 weeks ago and was picked up by the detail shop from the dealer. Just heard from them a few minutes ago. Delivering to my driveway tomorrow! 3 days short of 4 months! Well, no sleep tonight! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Yeah, I suppose the important thing for them was being seen in a public forum being helpful, but in private conversation it's not worth their concern. Only reason I posted it back in here, wouldn't want people having the wrong impression. Genuinely would have been completely fine if they hadn't reached out or asked me to message at all.
My thoughts exactly. All about image. Sad. And yes, you need to let people know about "the game" they play.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm convinced that "Stellantis" does not want to sell cars in North America.

Called customer care again, went through all the information, & all she could tell me is "car in route to dealer with no ETA."

Asked about incentives, they transferred me over to the incentives line (800-227-0757) went through all the information again (including the vin) for another person to tell me they have no idea & that I should call the dealer to see if they put in "sold order protection on incentives" at the time of the order.

So they either did & I still get the $3K; or they didn't, I take my $1K deposit back, & they can keep the car.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody - Octane Red
7 Posts
View attachment 1019068 View attachment 1019069 Picking her up today. Ordered 2/12. Any advice?
Congratulations! You are going to love that car.

As for advice, two essentials to get done as soon as possible, somewhat related. 1. PPF (at a minimum) for the front end, at least the front fascia/bumper, headlights, and for the wheel flares. That big, flat front bumper is an insect serial killer. 2. ZL1 Widebody Deluxe Rock Guards for all four wheels. The rear flares will still get peppered (hence the need for PPF on them), but the rock guards go a long way toward mitigating the damage.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Congratulations! You are going to love that car.

As for advice, two essentials to get done as soon as possible, somewhat related. 1. PPF (at a minimum) for the front end, at least the front fascia/bumper, headlights, and for the wheel flares. That big, flat front bumper is an insect serial killer. 2. ZL1 Widebody Deluxe Rock Guards for all four wheels. The rear flares will still get peppered (hence the need for PPF on them), but the rock guards go a long way toward mitigating the damage.
Yes for sure. The combination of the 3 items. PPF is expensive $$$$ I just wish Speed Lingerie made a front end cover for the Challenger that would protect the whole front end area with mesh netting to let the air flow into the grille and front end of the car which would protect headlights along with the fins on the radiator/condensor from those bugs and rocks.

Yes I experienced similar situation on factory order Corvette 15 years ago. No problems on Mustang factory order in 1987 for 1988 model 32+ years ago. On pony car it just took them a long time to get car together and I ordered it early. No problems with part delays in Dearborn, Mich. On Corvette there were a few delays with the constraints on parts/vendors. Now take into account we are in a different era and time has gone by so I would like to believe they do things better/different in these times. (Robotics in assembly) But in any event I hope this shortage does not reflect on the final assembly and quality control/reliability of Challenger SPWB. Sort of like doing a rush job in getting these cars out and missing problems.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,294
Picking her up today. Ordered 2/12. Any advice?
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Yes, I'd advise having it leveled, seems to have quite an angle :p Looks great, enjoy

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Yes, I'd advise having it leveled, seems to have quite an angle :p Looks great, enjoy

A Guy
Don't you know "dramatic effect" when you see it? lol

Got mine Monday. This is all stock. I put the Srt performance spoiler, hellcat lower air box on already. Currently at a friends shop getting window and side marker tinted, putting stripes on and expel. View attachment 1019125 View attachment 1019126
Awesome. Getting mine delivered today. Same color as yours, same wheels and rotors too. I also went with the Shaker, sun roof and red interior. Enjoy!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,297
Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man
1281 - 1300 of 1424 Posts