Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in "Eco" mode with the 8 spd. automatic, when you floor the accelerator do you get the regular power and torque as one would in performance or track mode? :unsure:
Or is there a lack of power because of the MDS engine?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
69 Posts
That's a good question. I have yet to put mine in ECO mode, because the MDS kicks in all the time now to save fuel so I can't imagine what else it would do in ECO mode. That being said, my 20 SP gets better MPG than any other vehicle I own according to the instrument panel. I sure wasn't expecting that. I didn't even look at the MPG for this car when I was considering buying it, but it's a nice perk to have on a long trip.

DEeWPFo

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Yes it will make full power. ECO is a revised economy mode with 2nd gear starts and early shifts but if you put it to the floor it will go and get loud like normal.

Unlike Valet mode, which will stay at its reduced power and 4000 rpm limit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nope, not the same. I have a 2020 SP WB and can tell you if you engage ECO mode while driving you can feel the car actually dial it down. Same with when you tap the screen to disengage it. There is a noticeable change in the behavior of the car. Stomp the gas in ECO mode and the car accelerates but is rather sluggish in doing so. That isn't just from a stop either. It's the same when going from street to sport. It changes the behavior of the engine and it gets twitchy to the point if you are not stomping on the gas you can feel that the car is acting like you are holding it back. Track is even more pronounced.

Now I have used EO mode on a trip on the highway where I knew I was simply going to be cruising along with the cruise on. No reason to not take advantage of the better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, not the same. I have a 2020 SP WB and can tell you if you engage ECO mode while driving you can feel the car actually dial it down. Same with when you tap the screen to disengage it. There is a noticeable change in the behavior of the car. Stomp the gas in ECO mode and the car accelerates but is rather sluggish in doing so. That isn't just from a stop either. It's the same when going from street to sport. It changes the behavior of the engine and it gets twitchy to the point if you are not stomping on the gas you can feel that the car is acting like you are holding it back. Track is even more pronounced.

Now I have used EO mode on a trip on the highway where I knew I was simply going to be cruising along with the cruise on. No reason to not take advantage of the better fuel economy.
Lets say you are on a two lane road and you pass the car in front of you going against traffic in the opposite direction, You need that instant throttle response so by having it in the ECO mode it prevents you from getting that instant throttle response one should get when that passing power is needed?

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Well, as far as my car goes (2016), it has full power and don't recall seeing anything where it didn't. In your scenario it will make the pass with all the power you need, so I don't understand the comment of sluggish acceleration, not my perception at all. Now when you change modes the exhaust will pop open and it will downshift and this can lead you to believe that something is happening inside the engine, but this is mainly a transmission reprogram. I guess it's possible they have made some tweaks for 2020 but ECO is not a power robbing mode, that is what Valet Mode is for, ECO Mode is to make the car operate smoother and more efficient by locking out first gear and have the transmission upshift at lower rpms and engage MDS as much as possible but all this except the first gear lockout is immediately disabled the moment you put your foot down.

Obviously Sport Mode will make the car feel more lively but that is a function of the transmission by keeping it in lower gears for quicker response, this is not a difference in engine power, just a difference in the way it is delivered. If you ever get in a situation where you want this instant response it takes one second to double tap your SRT button and the car will go straight to your custom mode which you set up any way you want and for me is steering and transmission in Sport and everything else in Street, this will downshift the car and get it ready for max response and go.

But ECO is totally acceptable as your everyday mode.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as far as my car goes (2016), it has full power and don't recall seeing anything where it didn't. In your scenario it will make the pass with all the power you need, so I don't understand the comment of sluggish acceleration, not my perception at all. Now when you change modes the exhaust will pop open and it will downshift and this can lead you to believe that something is happening inside the engine, but this is mainly a transmission reprogram. I guess it's possible they have made some tweaks for 2020 but ECO is not a power robbing mode, that is what Valet Mode is for, ECO Mode is to make the car operate smoother and more efficient by locking out first gear and have the transmission upshift at lower rpms and engage MDS as much as possible but all this except the first gear lockout is immediately disabled the moment you put your foot down.

Obviously Sport Mode will make the car feel more lively but that is a function of the transmission by keeping it in lower gears for quicker response, this is not a difference in engine power, just a difference in the way it is delivered. If you ever get in a situation where you want this instant response it takes one second to double tap your SRT button and the car will go straight to your custom mode which you set up any way you want and for me is steering and transmission in Sport and everything else in Street, this will downshift the car and get it ready for max response and go.

Sounds good. (y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
Not sure if this includes full throttle

Eco mode modifies the vehicle’s engine and transmission settings to provide improved fuel economy at a trade-off with acceleration performance

The transmission has its own tuning in Eco mode that upshifts quicker for better fuel economy and also starts in second gear

A Guy

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if this includes full throttle

Eco mode modifies the vehicle’s engine and transmission settings to provide improved fuel economy at a trade-off with acceleration performance

The transmission has its own tuning in Eco mode that upshifts quicker for better fuel economy and also starts in second gear

A Guy
bUT if you are in ECO mode and need to pass a car in an instant being in ECO won't interfere with that instant power you need immediately?

·
Registered
77 Posts

I went out and drove the car more today. ECO mode definitely changes the power output. Let's also be real here. A 392, no matter what mode is going to have plenty of power to pass if need be. That still doesn't mean that the the ECO doesn't tune down the engine to save power. I cannot answer for other years but there is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out and drove the car more today. ECO mode definitely changes the power output. Let's also be real here. A 392, no matter what mode is going to have plenty of power to pass if need be. That still doesn't mean that the the ECO doesn't tune down the engine to save power. I cannot answer for other years but there is a noticeable difference.
Depends on what you are trying to pass?o_O:unsure:

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
OK guess your car is different, I went out and did some timed 40-80 mph runs the best I could and all were in the mid-5 second range, so no difference in power for me. Damn I love this car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,624 Posts
On the Hellcat Eco limits to 500HP, I wonder is that cuts off if you go WOT?

A Guy

·
Registered
93 Posts

(y)

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
On the Hellcat Eco limits to 500HP, I wonder is that cuts off if you go WOT?

A Guy
I think if the red key is in the car then yes, it will go back to full power.

Oh and on the Valet, I did a run in Valet for the hell of it and it took 14 seconds to go from 40 to 80 mph lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts