Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the total width of a Challenger SP wide body? I understand it is 3.5 inches wider but is that at the wheel wheels only or the whole car?
What is the total body width in inches of a widebody Challenger vs. a regular SP Challenger? :unsure:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
The widest part of both the standard body and Widebody cars is still at the mirrors and is 85.4 inches wide.

Not counting the mirrors, the widest part of the standard body is at the doors and is 75.7 inches wide.

Not counting the mirrors, the widest part of the Widebody is at the front flares and is 78.3 inches wide.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The widest part of both the standard body and Widebody cars is still at the mirrors and is 85.4 inches wide.

Not counting the mirrors, the widest part of the standard body is at the doors and is 75.7 inches wide.

Not counting the mirrors, the widest part of the Widebody is at the front flares and is 78.3 inches wide.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So to make sure it fits in my garage I must have at least 85.4 inches wide with some space to open drivers door to get out with another car (opposite side) on passenger side of Challenger.🙏:unsure:

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So to make sure it fits in my garage I must have at least 85.4 inches wide with some space to open drivers door to get out with another car (opposite side) on passenger side of Challenger.🙏:unsure:

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
If it won't fit in your garage? I'm thinking the car isn't the problem. It's really all about how you're trying to park your new car in what would be better described as a shed designed for a lawn mower and other garden tools.....not a car or truck.

Is the addition of flares making the car just a tad wider at the wheels? Sure.

Is a Wide body challenger actually "BIG" or "WIDE"?

Before you rush to answer that one with just two cars in mind a standard body vs flared body challenger, try thinking about the width, height and over all size of a standard issue full size Pick Up truck or SUV today. (Don't get me started on the truly large SUVs and really heavy duty pick ups)

If it's a tight fit for a potential new Wide body in your driveway. I'd suggest you don't need a smaller car. Truth is even a WIde body Challenger measures up as little more than a "mid-sized" vehicle these days in the grand scheme of all the avaiable cars, trucks and SUVs.

Sounds to me like you may need to consult a contractor about the potential to enlarge the current structure or just completely build a new, bigger garage that can better accommodate the actual cars and trucks for sale. these days.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it won't fit in your garage? I'm thinking the car isn't the problem. It's really all about how you're trying to park your new car in what would be better described as a shed designed for a lawn mower and other garden tools.....not a car or truck.

Is the addition of flares making the car just a tad wider at the wheels? Sure.

Is a Wide body challenger actually "BIG" or "WIDE"?

Before you rush to answer that one with just two cars in mind a standard body vs flared body challenger, try thinking about the width, height and over all size of a standard issue full size Pick Up truck or SUV today. (Don't get me started on the truly large SUVs and really heavy duty pick ups)

If it's a tight fit for a potential new Wide body in your driveway. I'd suggest you don't need a smaller car. Truth is even a WIde body Challenger measures up as little more than a "mid-sized" vehicle these days in the grand scheme of all the avaiable cars, trucks and SUVs.

Sounds to me like you may need to consult a contractor about the potential to enlarge the current structure or just completely build a new, bigger garage that can better accommodate the actual cars and trucks for sale. these days.
No it's a 2 car garage which can fit an SUV and a car at the same time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
IS this a newer home in a subdivision? Be aware those garages are typically around 19x20 or 20x20. My challenger would fit in mine if I took everything out. It would be so tight I cannot risk backing it in and not hitting something. Not saying that is what you got but on newer homes, the builders are stupid with garages to save money. Just like the ones I see around here where they barely clear the land and the driveway is sloped at 30 degrees all the way to the door. Stupid.

Anyway, if it cannot fit you can look into ceramic coating it and then applying a good paint sealant over that to protect it even more. It costs a bit but it will keep the paint looking nice even if kept outside. Not the best solution but a thought. I keep mine outside and just keep up with it. Done that with several cars and the paint looks usually better than showroom after 5 to 10 years.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IS this a newer home in a subdivision? Be aware those garages are typically around 19x20 or 20x20. My challenger would fit in mine if I took everything out. It would be so tight I cannot risk backing it in and not hitting something. Not saying that is what you got but on newer homes, the builders are stupid with garages to save money. Just like the ones I see around here where they barely clear the land and the driveway is sloped at 30 degrees all the way to the door. Stupid.

Anyway, if it cannot fit you can look into ceramic coating it and then applying a good paint sealant over that to protect it even more. It costs a bit but it will keep the paint looking nice even if kept outside. Not the best solution but a thought. I keep mine outside and just keep up with it. Done that with several cars and the paint looks usually better than showroom after 5 to 10 years.
Home is vintage 1968 2 car garage. I don't think there will be a problem. As far a ceramic coating goes did you apply it yourself or did you have to have it professionally done? My understanding is that it's best to have it professionally done because of the toxics involved and they do a better job than a person without all the proper tools and safety measures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Home is vintage 1968 2 car garage. I don't think there will be a problem. As far a ceramic coating goes did you apply it yourself or did you have to have it professionally done? My understanding is that it's best to have it professionally done because of the toxics involved and they do a better job than a person without all the proper tools and safety measures.
I did the coating myself. It wasn’t that hard but read up on it first.The biggest thing is the surface prep first and making sure there are no high spots. On a light colored car you wouldn’t see them. Mine is indego blue and my wife insisted on trying to help me so I have one spot where there is a high spot because she missed buffing it off in time.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the coating myself. It wasn’t that hard but read up on it first.The biggest thing is the surface prep first and making sure there are no high spots. On a light colored car you wouldn’t see them. Mine is indego blue and my wife insisted on trying to help me so I have one spot where there is a high spot because she missed buffing it off in time.
I would take it that White is still the best available most forgiving color as far as hiding blemishes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you apply the coating if you don’t fully buff it off you get what is called a high spot. On a darker color it looks like a little deeper colored spot on the car. Think of it as a greasy fingerprint on a surface how it leaves a darker spot. Same thing except to get rid of it is you need to re-prep the surface again with a light compound.

if you work ceramic coating in a small area and remove it, and keep doing it that way, you won’t have a problem.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you apply the coating if you don’t fully buff it off you get what is called a high spot. On a darker color it looks like a little deeper colored spot on the car. Think of it as a greasy fingerprint on a surface how it leaves a darker spot. Same thing except to get rid of it is you need to re-prep the surface again with a light compound.

if you work ceramic coating in a small area and remove it, and keep doing it that way, you won’t have a problem.
Is that like leaving wax on a white car? You miss the spot because you can't see it but only in the right light will you see that.

Just had my floor redone. It's worth every penny. View attachment 1010710
I was looking at the finish and shine of the 392 challenger. Didn't notice the floor.😎

1 - 20 of 31 Posts