Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the build and price section a few weeks back and the 717HP Hellcat, as usual, had a 6 speed as an option. I go back yesterday and the 6 speed option is gone. I contacted Dodge via the chat and they couldn’t tell me anything. Is the 6 speed still available? I have ZERO interest in a Hellcat with an automatic. I’ll keep my 2800 mile 2015 Scat Pack Shaker.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I went to the build and price section a few weeks back and the 717HP Hellcat, as usual, had a 6 speed as an option. I go back yesterday and the 6 speed option is gone. I contacted Dodge via the chat and they couldn’t tell me anything. Is the 6 speed still available? I have ZERO interest in a Hellcat with an automatic. I’ll keep my 2800 mile 2015 Scat Pack Shaker.
There was another post about this. Some believe there is a parts shortage causing this, others believe Dodge is trying to take away the choice of a manual. No official reason has come from Dodge that we're aware of.

So keep the pressure on. If you want a Hellcat with a stick, make it clear to your dealership and to Dodge that that is what you want.

Some will tell you that you should just get an automatic, for whatever variety of reasons that they personally prefer an automatic. But while the automatic is certainly not a bad transmission, they miss the point. You're buying a car for you, and it should be the way YOU want it.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,478 Posts
I would hazard a guess the 6-speed is not available. That you found it offered then found it gone I think is a good (or bad) sign that is the case.

The word is or has been the 6-speed has been dropped from the Hellcat (and RE I guess) cars. Emissions maybe. But some other reason is possible or it could be a combination of reasons.

Regardless if you do manage to put in an order with the manual transmission option selected be sure you get a copy of the official order which clearly shows you were able to select the manual option.

Also be on the lookout for an alert/bulletin or change order from Dodge which states the manual option is not available and your car will be built with the automatic. In this case you probably will be given an option to decline but if you fail to then that will be taken as a sign you accepted the change.

But if you have an official copy of the completed order form with the manual transmission option seleected if the car comes in with an automatic you have the option to refuse the car as it was not optioned as you ordered.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The Hellcat manual transmissions are significantly different than the 5.7/6.4 variant. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th gear ratios are different and there is an external oil cooler. This may play into the lack of availability.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
The Hellcat manual transmissions are significantly different than the 5.7/6.4 variant. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th gear ratios are different and there is an external oil cooler. This may play into the lack of availability.
Yes, all that and for how many sales? May have just not made $ sense. Still, wish I had one!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There was another post about this. Some believe there is a parts shortage causing this, others believe Dodge is trying to take away the choice of a manual. No official reason has come from Dodge that we're aware of.

So keep the pressure on. If you want a Hellcat with a stick, make it clear to your dealership and to Dodge that that is what you want.

Some will tell you that you should just get an automatic, for whatever variety of reasons that they personally prefer an automatic. But while the automatic is certainly not a bad transmission, they miss the point. You're buying a car for you, and it should be the way YOU want it.
Doesn't really make any difference what you want if you cant order one, at that point you have to roll the dice and decide if you think the manuals will ever come back or do you get the car with the auto and just move on?

Sometimes what you WANT and what you can get are two different things. Lets face it there may never be another manual hellcat built

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
"there may never be another manual hellcat built"

You can etch it in stone....IMO. :(
And if you want an M6 Scat, do not tarry. ;):oops:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Doesn't really make any difference what you want if you cant order one, at that point you have to roll the dice and decide if you think the manuals will ever come back or do you get the car with the auto and just move on?

Sometimes what you WANT and what you can get are two different things. Lets face it there may never be another manual hellcat built
Maybe so. That doesn't mean we shouldn't provide customer feedback. Enthusiast cars in general tend to exist because we want them. If it were up to the lawyers, beancounters and shareholders who run the companies, we wouldn't have fast fun cars at all.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Maybe so. That doesn't mean we shouldn't provide customer feedback. Enthusiast cars in general tend to exist because we want them. If it were up to the lawyers, beancounters and shareholders who run the companies, we wouldn't have fast fun cars at all.
True. Dissent motivates action. One way or the other.

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
actually, they exist because they sell, if manuals are not selling a ton they will not be made and my guess is manual sales are dropping like a rock with the automatics being faster and more refined every year..there will always be fast cars as long as people are willing to pay for them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
actually, they exist because they sell, if manuals are not selling a ton they will not be made and my guess is manual sales are dropping like a rock with the automatics being faster and more refined every year..there will always be fast cars as long as people are willing to pay for them.
And this is the reason we get EVs. Faster and more refined. People just want to get from A to B.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW Yesterday when I ordered my spwb shaker 6sp the sales manager showed me on his computer order page that he could still order the Sact Pack in 6sp but that option was no longer available on the Hellcat. The reason that some options appear on the dodge configurator website is that that site is slower to reflect the actual ordering realities than the dealer order form. Hope that makes sense. Don't delay get your order in "the end is near".

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dealership has said no more 6speeds

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
Amazing that 10-12 years ago half the Challengers built were 6-speeds, and now look at them... guess the A8 being so good has a lot to do with that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Amazing that 10-12 years ago half the Challengers built were 6-speeds, and now look at them... guess the A8 being so good has a lot to do with that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Allot, yes but not all. Much has to do with the changing demographic of younger drivers who were never exposed to manuals and are now old enough to afford and buy these vehicles. And if many dealers are like my local one, they are influencing the trend by pushing autos. Hell, as I've posted before, my local dealer flat out refused to order a manual car forcing me to go to another dealer an hour away to order. Where is the pressure coming from that is so strong, they gave up a sale to hold the line?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts