Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Pretty simple actually. Anybody can drive an automatic. There are a lot of prospects out there that can't drive a manual. If a buyer backs out of a manual transmission special order, that car is not as easy to sell.

Reactions: shocktrp

·
Vendor
13,800 Posts
the A8 is that good, for the purist however the m6 is no longer available for Hellcats, at least not currently, cannot order what is not listed

m6 only available in a Scat or RT

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just clarified this with my local dealer …. 6 speed Hellcats ARE NOT discontinued. They are marked LATE availability… it’s a parts supply issue.
Yeah, they've been saying this for over a year.

Doesn't really make any difference what you want if you cant order one, at that point you have to roll the dice and decide if you think the manuals will ever come back or do you get the car with the auto and just move on?

Sometimes what you WANT and what you can get are two different things. Lets face it there may never be another manual hellcat built
I've been waiting several months to see if the M6 HC became available again. When the M6 options was removed from the website configurator I gave up. It's time to go back to a 911; looks like it will be a year to get it, but at least Porsche will take the order and build one the way I want it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
And this is the reason we get EVs. Faster and more refined. People just want to get from A to B.
I find that view interesting. There still a lot of manual transmission being sold, on a lot of cars. Heck, even Cadillac has a manual option on the Blackwing. Yes, it's largely down to enthusiasts now, but thye are definitely still available.

We picked up my wife's new Subaru on Friday - it came with a 6-speed manual.

You might want to change your statement to "SOME" people just want to get from A to B. Many of us still want to enjoy the drive. Personally, I find EVs about as engaging and enjoyable as the desk chair in an office cubicle. YMMV.

·
Registered
'22 SCAT PACK/6MT/Shaker/Harman Kardon
22 Posts
Yeah, they've been saying this for over a year.

I've been waiting several months to see if the M6 HC became available again. When the M6 options was removed from the website configurator I gave up. It's time to go back to a 911; looks like it will be a year to get it, but at least Porsche will take the order and build one the way I want it.
hey guys, i just registered on this site almost exclusively for this subject. i would LOVE to believe the hc w/ mt will be available before year's end. but i'm skeptical. my son said only 2 came out for m/y 2021, and one was for the magazine journalists. my 'certified' salesman said hc engines were being allocated to the ram trx truck. yet, there's still a hc a/t & jailbreak available. i can believe there's a parts shortage, but then how hard with dodge push for just a handful of mt's? if it ain't profitable, it's very likely a big NO. interesting how someone else here was also getting a soob with mt. i was thinking to get a crosstrek, and then trade it in if/when the hc mt could be ordered. my salesman also said there will be extensive changes to the challenger for m/y 2023, but didn't give any details. i was on the fence but now i'm thinking of getting a scatpack mt now, and then trade that in IF a hc mt becomes available. (sigh) i just don't think the sc will be a great alternative. hope i don't have remorse!

·
Registered
18,344 Posts
They built M6 Hellcat pilot cars in 21 and 22, for 21 only 2 were sold to the public, for 22 who knows.

With these pilot cars they are apparently trying to resolve whatever issue that's holding them back, I really believe they want to offer them but why exactly they are not is unknown.

As far as the salesman saying major changes for 23, that goes against everything that's been posted and quoted, the 23 cars might be the last of the breed and will largely be unchanged except for a few special things. This seems to make the most sense, why make wholesale changes on a car in its last year?

But we are all just really guessing at what they will do. If the time line changes for the electric car launches then all this could change.

Also the future of Brampton is also in question, what exactly will they build there after 23 if 23 is really the end of Challenger as we know it. A lot of questions to be answered.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,035 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I think the M6 will be available once the issue is resolved. What we will see, since 6 speeds have always been in smaller numbers, is that M6 Hellcats will bring more $ at auction as the vintage 4 speed cars do now. Supply vs demand will dictate value. Of course, this won’t matter for Demons and Super Stock cars etc. since no M6 was offered.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Allot, yes but not all. Much has to do with the changing demographic of younger drivers who were never exposed to manuals and are now old enough to afford and buy these vehicles. And if many dealers are like my local one, they are influencing the trend by pushing autos. Hell, as I've posted before, my local dealer flat out refused to order a manual car forcing me to go to another dealer an hour away to order. Where is the pressure coming from that is so strong, they gave up a sale to hold the line?
They were probably afraid to get stuck with it if you backed out.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
They were probably afraid to get stuck with it if you backed out.
True, they had a nickle M6 Scat Pack on the lot. That's the one I test drove. It sat there for months (I drove by every day back then for work) before it disappeared. Don't know if it sold or they transferred it.
Must be a demographic issue. My dealer, Steve White Motors always keeps a high number of manuals on his lot and believe me, they sell very well. Maybe the dealers that denounce the manuals can't drive them....
Or their millennial techs can't. :LOL:

Reactions: Midlife Mischief

·
Registered
558 Posts
Must be a demographic issue. My dealer, Steve White Motors always keeps a high number of manuals on his lot and believe me, they sell very well. Maybe the dealers that denounce the manuals can't drive them....
It is.
My dealer ordered 5 of them, he still has 3 on the lot months later (they're 2021s with a window sticker dated 12-19).
He sold every A8 Scat that he had.

He also has 2 new V6 cars that nobody wants & 2 used Scats (a M6 & an A8) that's he stuck with because he paid too much & he's asking more than the original MSRP.

·
Registered
18,344 Posts
It is.
My dealer ordered 5 of them, he still has 3 on the lot months later (they're 2021s with a window sticker dated 12-19).

He also has 2 new V6 cars that nobody wants & 2 used Scats (a M6 & an A8) that's he stuck with because he paid too much & he's asking more than the original MSRP.
That's the reality and that's why soon they'll be no manual transmissions left at all.

In the mass produced world of mega companies there is just no room for something that barely sells and provides other warranty and parts issues and takes up resources from the high demand automatics.

So enjoy the M6 while you can as I have a sneaking suspicion it will be nowhere to be found on the next generation.

They did it with trucks and cars will next. Don't know when the last manual was available in a Dodge other than the Cummins but it's been a while, for Chevy Silverado the last manual trans was 2007, amazing its been that long.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I just finished a chat session with Dodge .... they said the 6 speed will be available again by the end of this month (August '22). I hope this holds out to be true. I will have to order the 2023 Hellcat 717 Widebody.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
It is.

Its a Charlotte/NC thing with Steve White. When I lived in Charlotte back when I got my first new Challenger in 2013, all of the lots were always about 50/50 manuals to autos for Hemi Challengers. Then I moved down to FL and you were lucky to see 1 manual on a lot. My new TA was a new 2021 that was delayed because of the chip shortage but it is also a loaded manual car which also made it sit a little longer. I bought it this past April "new". Its 1 of 1 for options for 2021 and I couldn't find a similar car with a national search and I didn't want to wait on an order with all of the horror stories going around at that time. Point being, finding a manual optioned the way I wanted was HARD.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I just finished a chat session with Dodge .... they said the 6 speed will be available again by the end of this month (August '22). I hope this holds out to be true. I will have to order the 2023 Hellcat 717 Widebody.
You mean in a Hellcat? I had heard they were having trouble meeting emission standards in the M6 Hellcat. Wonder what changed?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I skipped the m6 just in case I wanted to trade my scat pack in on a cat, dealer flat out told me the car was worth 5k less on trade to them with the m6.
Although he might have meant with it being go mango and m6 it likely cuts down the prospective buyers??
i do hope dodge keeps the m6 options open for all you three pedal guys

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The 6 spd Hellcats will bring a premium over their 707 and 717 hp auto counterparts eventually. No way I would buy a Hellcat without one unless I was gong to consistently drag race it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts