Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Ran a [email protected] with DRs, slip and more rambling in recent post.

(you can skip the first few paragraphs if you just want to see my bleh time)

Hello everyone. Ever since I was a teenager Ive been a devoted gearhead but never being able to afford a platform/car that I truly wanted until (despite the current economy) recently. I am a thrilled new owner of a 21 Challenger RT 6spd.

I hit the magic 500mile mark a few days ago, and I am currently in TN for work. I almost never get a Saturday off and lucked out in finding a test & tune today at Beech Bend Park in Bowling Green, KY. My only drag strip experience was on my very first motorcycle over 10 years ago, and if you count green flags dropping on a road race course with 20+ other motorcycles screaming beside you to bully your way into that first turn.

So my car is a dry-as-bone stock 2021 RT 5.7 manual, including the factory tires and I think just above a 1/2 tank of gas. Traction control was turned off/“sport”. The only “mod” I have done is change the shift knob/stem(no linkage/short shifter) for a classic urst-esqe white ball and for science purposes I usually walk around at 200-205lbs. The temperature there today was 48 degrees(F) early afternoon and I think ended up being around 58-60degrees mid-afternoon. Fortunately not a lot of people showed up until late in the day so I managed 6 or 7(have to count my slips) passes.

I fully understand I could read until my eyes bleed and it will never replace real-world practice but I crawled through this forum last night looking for launch tips/tire pressure suggestions/general info and want to say thank you everyone who has contributed. Such an awesome wealth of info to reference.

Launching the car was definitely the biggest task. It took me 3-4 runs to not just bog it down vs spin the crap out of it. I left the tires at recommended factory PSI(they stayed around 35), drove around the water and did no intentional burnouts. Eventually I found a sweet spot somewhere around 1500-2000rpm where I could feather the clutch and ease into the gas enough so I was atleast going forward at a steady pace. My 60fts were all garbage(2.3-2.6) but I did steadily improve them almost every run for a best of 2.2s. Of course on that magical launch I managed to grind 3rd and wanted to die, ran a 14.4 at 99mph. My worst run was a 15.3 where I smoldered the tires on the line and had to lift to actually get moving.

Despite what is still a crap 60ft I did manage to pull off a [email protected](pic attached). Wish I could claim the 13.8 but the stang earned it. I would have loved to see lower and maybe kissed a 13 but do believe Id be lying to myself about the attainability of that with my current experience/skill and these wonderful factory Goodyears 😜.

I am always open for any useful tips/suggestions when it comes to all things in life and appreciate any/all feedback, but really just wanted to post my experience and give a clear picture of what a newbie was able to do with a literal bone stock NA 6spd 5.7. I love the car so far, had a fun day at the track and in the interest of keeping the warranty valid (shhhh they won’t see the 5miles of data kissing redline 0-100mph) have no modifications planned for several years EXCEPT a 275 rear tire with better grip. I imagine dedicated wheels w/drag radials would make consistent 13s a cakewalk once I get more seat time but I’ll be plenty happy with a 13.99 on some stickier street tires.
Receipt Font Material property Automotive tire Temperature

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
437 Posts
Good read, thanks for sharing your day. I have the exact same car so I'm really excited to eventually go for my first drag racing day. Probably won't happen until next spring - way too cold up here already.

Btw, StarCraft fan?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get yourself a pair of sticky tires to improve that sixty foot and you'll be mid- high thirteens in nothing flat.
The car has to move quickly in the first sixty feet to have a decent e.t. Good luck next time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get yourself a pair of sticky tires to improve that sixty foot and you'll be mid- high thirteens in nothing flat.
The car has to move quickly in the first sixty feet to have a decent e.t. Good luck next time.
This is a very timely reply and I appreciate the advice/encouragement!

I have spent a lot of time on/off reading about people’s opinions/experiences with different DRs/slicks/wheel setups. Rummaging through my shed over the winter I realized that I still have a set of 8.5x20” bullet-style wheels I bought used umpteen million years ago for a lowered Grand Prix I had (20s on a Grand Prix, I accept any/all judgement as I was significantly younger then LOL). They were the correct bolt pattern and actually fit the car(hub would’ve needed a spacer) but the offset made them stick out of the front far too much. Then I remembered the seller told me they were mounted on a Magnum previously, and sure enough they fit on the Challenger perfectly.

Given the size of these rediscovered wheels it would appear my options for DRs are MT, M&H and the poorly discussed but significantly cheaper 1320 Nexens. I certainly can appreciate you get what you pay for at this stage in life but +/- $1000 for 2 tires is a hard pill to swallow just yet, so I remain indecisive but am thrilled that something in my subconscious had me needlessly hold onto those wheels for so long.

All of that said I still want to get as much practice as I can even with the stock Goodyears and I have been very excited/impatient for track season to start but the weather has forced my local track to reschedule opening day twice already, my local track being Keystone Raceway located near Pittsburgh, PA. Hopefully I’ll be bumping this thread in the next few weeks with some better time slips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your a lucky guy to have a track like Keystone as a local venue. I would imagine the track prep at Keystone
should be good. A lot of the smaller tracks don't "spray" or prep the track to benefit anyone with car that has
some good low end . As for the cost of rubber well, it's expensive. A twenty inch tire is a lot rubber and race
oriented tires aren't any cheaper. Having run a low 10 second nostalgia super stock hemi car like I said you
have to be able to get the car moving and tire spin aint gonna get it done. Do some shopping on line , talk
with the other guys in the forum about what they've used and what works. I can tell you being new to this forum
everyone in here is very, very knowledgeable and willing to share what they know. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
531 Posts
Practice the launch. Last fall I ran a 14.1x at 99 mph. 2.2x 60 foot. The first 60 feet makes all the difference. .2 better there is .2-.4 quicker ET. MPH will be about the same, maybe it will gain 1 mph.

I tried launch control at the track, but stupidly dialed it to like 3200. 2000 would be better, I only had 3 runs, I did not use launch control on those and my 14.1 was without. More practice should get a 13.8 or 13.9.

That stang with a 106 trap should be 13.4 easily. Both of you practice your launch. 2.4x 60 foot is not very good. Ask me how I know lol.

BTW, I've read that the 1/4 mile timer our cats have us usually accurate to +/- a tenth of a second. Work on your 0-60, my best us a 5.2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Practice the launch. Last fall I ran a 14.1x at 99 mph. 2.2x 60 foot. The first 60 feet makes all the difference. .2 better there is .2-.4 quicker ET. MPH will be about the same, maybe it will gain 1 mph.

I tried launch control at the track, but stupidly dialed it to like 3200. 2000 would be better, I only had 3 runs, I did not use launch control on those and my 14.1 was without. More practice should get a 13.8 or 13.9.

That stang with a 106 trap should be 13.4 easily. Both of you practice your launch. 2.4x 60 foot is not very good. Ask me how I know lol.

BTW, I've read that the 1/4 mile timer our cats have us usually accurate to +/- a tenth of a second. Work on your 0-60, my best us a 5.2.
Haha I don’t know the Mustang owner and will probably never meet him again so he’s on his own:p

I understand my 60fts were abysmal and yes can’t wait to get much more track time this year to practice. 14.1 is awesome knowing how tricky it is to launch these as a manual, sounds like you’ll definitely hit a 13.X in no time.

I actually don’t have factory access to the launch control or quarter mile timer to the absolute best of my researching since I have the base model RT. Perhaps the shaker option meant they unlocked it in your car, but my understanding is I would need a programmer to get to it. If anyone who happens to read this knows otherwise I’m all ears as I’d love to play with it. But practicing some 0-60s is definitely a good idea if I can find a road where I feel I can do it “responsibly”.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OOoo. You shoulda never went! It gets addictive. This is just 1.5 years of collecting slips.

Handwriting Computer keyboard Input device Peripheral Table

I would highly suggest looking into a Diff brace. Reason why I say this is the wear I found on my diff bushings after my many 8th mile runs. Although some of it may have been from being a GA State car for 100K of it's life as well.

I do believe it has more in it. Stock with a simple Hemifever tune and 245 series 600 treadwear tires I was running 8.9s in the 8th mile. Launch was always the key. I do know I have to feather the throttle and "roll" into it now otherwise I spin. So better tires is key for me. I suspect you should be able to get into the 8.9 and 9.0 area as you sit with practice.

Here is my quickest time (this is whith a 6.4 intake though. I have ONCE managed a 1.99X 60 Foot. Dunno how.
Gesture Finger Font Nail Thumb

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
531 Posts
2.02 60 ft. Nice. I've only made 3 passes in ours, no 1.99 yet. Track is open now or soon, for "Wild Wednesdays." Gotta get out there!

·
Registered
130 Posts
2.02 60 ft. Nice. I've only made 3 passes in ours, no 1.99 yet. Track is open now or soon, for "Wild Wednesdays." Gotta get out there!
Right Lane # 454. Never been able to do 60ft like this since. Twas a magical day. This was Pre-6.4 Intake install as well. I feel this happened because some bigger cars just made passes and the track was super sticky so I was able to actually launch hard.
Receipt Font Paper Event Number

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
531 Posts
Right Lane # 454. Never been able to do 60ft like this since. Twas a magical day. This was Pre-6.4 Intake install as well. I feel this happened because some bigger cars just made passes and the track was super sticky so I was able to actually launch hard.
View attachment 1048053
Yeah very nice 60 ft. I like how they have your win down to the millionth of a second, lol. There will never be any ties that way!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my quickest time (this is whith a 6.4 intake though. I have ONCE managed a 1.99X 60 Foot. Dunno how.
That’s awesome and confidence inspiring that you managed it on normal tires.

The forecast for this weekend here is holding steady temperature wise but the chance of rain keeps fluctuating like a yo-yo, keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That’s awesome and confidence inspiring that you managed it on normal tires.

The forecast for this weekend here is holding steady temperature wise but the chance of rain keeps fluctuating like a yo-yo, keeping my fingers crossed.
Oddly enough, Cold nights have not been a huge improvement I would hope. It seems 60-79 degrees OAT is best. Possible mostly in part with conditions of the track.

I feel I could get into the 8.6 range if I cna launch super hard. I've been doing 1500 rpm or less launches with a very light roll into the throttle of the line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As much as I don’t want to update my thread, I felt I should so A: you guys know I’m not just blowing smoke and B: as discouraging as it, I can hold myself accountable.

The weather finally cooperated this weekend and there was a huge turnout at Keystone. Since I had far more time to contemplate my first trip this year than expected I went forward with purchasing a pair of the Nexen “drag radials” that come stock on the 1320 scats. I read just about every forum post I could find on them and realize the general consensus is that they aren’t very good, but at their price point they have to be better than the stock Goodyear’s. Right? Right. 🥴🙃

Since the turnout was huge and not wanting to abandon my family for the entire day I only got two runs (could have probably only managed one more if I stayed until the evening). Temp was beautiful as far as a spring day in the 80s, maybe too warm for you seasoned racers, but clearly no excuse for my performance. Out of the two, best run was [email protected], 2.19 60ft, abysmal. Trying to find that sweet spot/sequence for a good launch is obviously going to take a LOT of practice. I tried to keep my rpms around 2500 but slipped the clutch too long on the worst of the two with sloppy shifting, and bogged it nicely on the second “better” run. Can’t speak to the tires yet, clearly need to work on the driver mod first.

Looking at the wild inconsistencies between my times/60fts/traps with my slips from Bowling Green just adds to the frustration/confusion but I’m gonna keep trying. Left lane was a 4th gen TA with a small turbo on some Nittos, hell of a run! Evening test and tune this coming Friday if the weather cooperates.
Receipt Font Material property Handwriting Electric blue

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
130 Posts
All about doing it and learning.

Just few notes from the many passes I've made. Check your driveshaft Couplers every so often. And getting a diff brace is a must. I do not have a Getrag (open 3.06) but I found my pinion mount bushings toasted and other showing signs of extreme movement from it. After replacing the pinion (only one you can without removing subframe) I have seen improvement on noise.

Shame more Chally/Charger peeps in to drag racing live near me. I stopped going cause tired only being only one there. And when some did show they would run once, twice and just leave with no talk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All about doing it and learning.

Just few notes from the many passes I've made. Check your driveshaft Couplers every so often. And getting a diff brace is a must. I do not have a Getrag (open 3.06) but I found my pinion mount bushings toasted and other showing signs of extreme movement from it. After replacing the pinion (only one you can without removing subframe) I have seen improvement on noise.

Shame more Chally/Charger peeps in to drag racing live near me. I stopped going cause tired only being only one there. And when some did show they would run once, twice and just leave with no talk.
I did do a little searching/reading about the diff braces when you mentioned it earlier what brand/model do you run? The Per4fomance brand sells quite a few different looking models at very different price points.

I’m generally pretty reserved but talking/hanging out with other people at the track is half the fun. Hung out with the f-body guys I was surrounded by in line while we waited but I hunted down the owner of a 1320 I saw. The C6 hiding behind my car was driven by a much older gentleman who was a spitting image in appearance and conversation of Clint Eastwoods character in Gran Torino, making him delightful in my book.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did do a little searching/reading about the diff braces when you mentioned it earlier what brand/model do you run? The Per4fomance brand sells quite a few different looking models at very different price points.

I’m generally pretty reserved but talking/hanging out with other people at the track is half the fun. Hung out with the f-body guys I was surrounded by in line while we waited but I hunted down the owner of a 1320 I saw. The C6 hiding behind my car was driven by a much older gentleman who was a spitting image in appearance and conversation of Clint Eastwoods character in Gran Torino, making him delightful in my book.
Having an open diff I do not have one. And I do not believe they make any for an open diff sadly or I would get one for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It appears the Mopar gods had some pity on me after last weekend.

Went back to Keystone raceway tonight for test and tune. Weather was basically perfect, low 60s dipping into 50s/40s as the sun went down. My fiancé and son came this time so I had a bonus mod of +1 bulky car seat strapped in the back(and yes still have full interior/seats/trunk flap/foam box w/tire pump). I tried to keep my gas tank a little lighter throughout the week but ran with the needle just below the half mark.

1st run set the Nexen DRs right around 22-23PSI, pumped the fronts a bit to 38. Did a decent burnout with a 1-2 shift roll through the waterbox. I told myself we were going to actually put the tires to the test tonight, no more bogging. Traction control off. Held rpms around 3k at the light, slipped the clutch ever so slightly then dumped it and mashed the gas. And she hooked! And we left the line very well, no wheel hop or perceived spin. My shifting was crisp and it certainly didn’t feel like anything super special but I could tell it was smooth.

[email protected], 1.93 60ft (slip below)

My reaction to seeing the slip was more that of a toddler than a 34yo adult, but we’ll say I am extremely happy. Did two more runs:

#2 [email protected], 1.95 60ft with a bit of wheel hop

#3 dropped rears to 19-20ish PSI (temp dropped as well into high 40s) [email protected], 2.2 60ft. Spun on the launch.

Despite the 14.2 I think it shows I was consistent given the 60ft and I’m psyched to have a solid baseline moving forward. We’ll see if I can make this repeatable in a couple of weeks. Cheers guys

Font Handwriting Paper Soil Carmine

Track apparently had a live feed going for about 10 minutes and caught my 13.8 run. Guy didn’t sound too pleased with my lack of concern for the tree haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts