Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car has 9,000 miles on it - I'm going to take the car to the dealership this week, but just curious if anyone has an idea of what is going on. I've had the car for about 3 weeks, really enjoying it.

Now that the weather is cooling (been in the 40's this week), I'm noticing something odd first thing in the morning. The first maybe two times I shift the car into 2nd gear I get a bit of repetitive hesitation/jerking/slippage (as you can tell, I am having a hard time describing it - but it's almost like the clutch is slipping just a little bit then catching repeatedly resulting in jerking...) - once I'm out of my neighborhood I experience no problems the rest of the day. Even if the car sits for 8 hours or so at my office, no problems to speak of when I leave to go home, it's only first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could be the "skip shift" forcing you into 4th.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, no, it's definitely in 2nd when this happens.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, no, it?s definitely in 2nd when this happens.
I have a '10 and just shift from 1st to 3rd or double clutch into 2nd until the car warms up. The Tremec is notorious for being finicky with 2nd gear while cold. Sounds like your transmission behaves very well for a Tremec actually.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Sounds like you are experiencing what has been called wheel hop if you are accelerating aggressively and the clutch isn't slipping.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It doesn't feel like slipping - more like surging - I'm sorry it's so hard to explain.

Been doing some reading on the Tremec's when it's cold - looks like most of the info out there involves it being hard or grinding as you go in 2nd. It's not doing that, thankfully.

I'd be curious to read more on the input shaft issue mentioned.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well - update - this morning, after reading a lot here and elsewhere, I took it easy going out of the neighborhood this morning and shifted a little earlier / less aggressively and experienced zero issues. Seems like 2nd gear likes to be woken up a little easier on cold mornings, ha ha. It was 30 degrees this morning too - the coldest it's been here.

Feeling better about it now and will just take it easy on cold mornings through the first couple of shifts.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
yes in colder temps the first shifts will be stiffer until the fluid warms up more. The clearances in modern manuals are tight - they use ATF fluids to give an idea how tight clearances are.

The older manuals used gear lubricant, or in some cases engine oils in the 80s-90s

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just had my 6-speed serviced under warranty for dried up and dirty grease, as well as a non rotating pilot bearing. It was tough to get out of gear usually after warming up, but sometimes when cold. I typed up the symptoms and referenced the star case number. Dealer fixed it up without any fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
The best thing you can do for your car is, at start up, switch your center pod information until your engine oil temperature gauge is showing.

Now don't do anything aggressively until your engine oil is up to 170ish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts