Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been considering the purchase of a 5.7/A8 Challenger. Needed to confirm that it would fit in our garage with my Harley and my wife’s Ford Edge. This past Wednesday, I rented a Challenger from Enterprise at O’Hare airport.

The car I rented:
- 2017 5.7/A8 Challenger R/T
- No backup camera or blind-spot monitor
- Front tires: Nankang Sport NS-25 all-season
- Rear tires: Milestar MS932XP+ M&S-rated
- Beginning mileage: 30316
- Ending mileage: 30497
- Total rental miles: 181

Per the VIN, the window sticker for the car I rented:

Sport Mode is Standard!
- In Sport mode, noticeably sportier upshift and downshift points with much crisper shifts
- Steering felt stiffer in Sport Mode
- The active exhaust sounded great!

0-60 Timer is Standard!
- In Sport mode, my best 0-60 times were 5.2-5.3 seconds
- In Non-Sport mode, my best 0-60 times were 5.4-5.7 seconds
- The active exhaust sounded great!

MPG per the dash computer:
- Cruise control @75 for 10 miles: 25 MPG
- Cruise control @70 for 10 miles: 27 MPG
- Cruise control @65 for 45 miles: 29.8 MPG
- Overall for the 181 miles I had the car including lots of 0-60 tests: 21.5 MPG

Additional Observations:
- After too many years of driving 4-cyl cars, V8 low-RPM torque!
- Liked that the dash displayed what gear the car was in even when the shifter was in the normal “D” position
- My wife’s golf bag easily fits in the trunk with lots of room to spare
- Imperceptible transitions between 8-cyl & 4-cyl mode
- When needed, the transition to 8-cyl mode is instantaneous
- For how I drive, limited-slip differential and paddle shifters are nice-to-haves but not need-to-haves
- It fits in the garage with the Harley and the Edge!
- The active exhaust sounds great!

Questions:
- No digital tach readout?
- Air Catcher gets yellow-LED halo running lights?
- Does selecting “Sport Mode”, even if the transmission stays in the same gear, yield a louder exhaust?
- Did I mention that the active-exhaust sounds great?

·
Super Moderator
13,332 Posts
You should also test drive a 6.4 Scat Pack before you make a purchase decision.

Also, you may want to consider a previously owned SRT with low mileage. You can probably get a good deal on one. Check out cars.com.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You should also test drive a 6.4 Scat Pack before you make a purchase decision.

Also, you may want to consider a previously owned SRT with low mileage. You can probably get a good deal on one. Check out cars.com.
I agree. It's s very little more money and you get low 4s for that 0-60. The difference is pretty dramatic between the 5.7 and 6.4 if low end grunt is what you like. If that's not enough you'll have to dig a little deeper for the Hellcat.

I drove all 3. The 5.7, 6.4 and a Hellcat. Only you know what you're looking for and what is enough or potentially more than you need. I found the 6.4 (392) was truly in the "sweet spot".

I found the Hellcat to be BLISTERING FAST but hard to actually take real advantage of on the street and then the 5.7 was good but not enough to make me want to trade a noticeably much faster 5.0 Mustang in for it.

The 6.4 was the engine in this car that seemed the perfect balance. I knew I wanted the Challenger for it's good looks and comfortable interior but I wasn't willing to give up performance to get it. The Hellcats are very fast but it's hard to find one that doesn't make me ask why I wouldn't just buy another Corvette for just a little more cash. These are my priorities and thoughts only though.

In the end:

You can't really go wrong. Any Challenger is a good looking car and they all can be optioned up to be as comfortable to drive as you want and need them to be. You really do only have to pick your performance level required to make you happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to the window sticker the car you drove had a conventional rear axle not limited slip. I'm thinking that all R/T Challenger's with the automatic 8 speed get paddle shifter because they're no listed as an option on the Window Sticker. Either way good luck with your purchase and I'll second driving a Scat Pack with the 6.4 cause there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to the window sticker the car you drove had a conventional rear axle not limited slip. I'm thinking that all R/T Challenger's with the automatic 8 speed get paddle shifter because they're no listed as an option on the Window Sticker.
Ed1774,

The ‘17 5.7/A8 that I rented did not have paddle shifters.

Per my research on ‘17-newer (active exhaust!) 5.7/A8 Challengers:
Paddle Shifters:
- ‘17-‘18:
— — To get paddle shifters, the Super Track Pak package had to be ordered
- ‘19:
— — Paddle shifters are standard on all automatic-trans Challengers except the base-model SXT

Limited-Slip
- ‘17:
— — I have not been able to locate a ‘17 5.7/A8 model with limited-slip
- ‘18:
— — The ‘18 Challenger brochure lists a 3.09 limited-slip as an option on 5.7/A8 models
— — At dodge.com, limited-slip is not listed as an option on ‘18 5.7/A8 models
— — I have not been able to locate an ‘18 5.7/A8 model with limited-slip
— — Per email corespondence with the factory, I confirmed that limited-slip was not available on ‘18 5.7/A8 models
- ‘19:
— — Per the ‘19 Challenger brochure and dodge.com, ‘19 5.7/A8 models with the optional Performance Handling Group package have a 3.09 limited-slip
— — I have located ‘19 5.7/A8 models with window stickers that list a 3.09 limited slip

I welome corrections and clarifications.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You should also test drive a 6.4 Scat Pack before you make a purchase decision. Also, you may want to consider a previously owned SRT with low mileage.
I'll second driving a Scat Pack with the 6.4 cause there's no replacement for displacement.
Cuda340, TA 392 YJ, Ed1774,

Thank you for replying to my post about my rental R/T. I understand and appreciate your urging me to consider a 6.4. I realize that, all things considered, the 6.4 is a bargain.

My context:
- I’m 69
- My wife and I are both recently retired
- When I was younger my family had dual Roadrunners
- — ‘68, 383/A3, 3.23 (0-60: 7 sec; 1/4: 15.0)
- — ‘70, 383/A3, 3.91 limited-slip (0-60: 6 sec; 1/4: 14.2)
- I want a car that puts a smile on my face like those Roadrunners did
- I need a car that I can afford to buyAND that I can afford to own

I have considered a 6.4; reasons why I’m leaning toward the 5.7:
- Lower price
- 5.7 likes mid-grade or regular; 6.4 requires premium
- 5.7, (0-60: 5.2 sec; 1/4: 13.7)
- Lower insurance?
- 5.7 can be covered by a Mopar lifetime extended warranty; 6.4 maximum is 8 years and 125k miles
EDIT: Mopar no longer offers a llifetime extended warranty for any vehicle.

·
Registered
385 Posts
"MPG per the dash computer:
- Cruise control @75 for 10 miles: 25 MPG
- Cruise control @70 for 10 miles: 27 MPG
- Cruise control @65 for 45 miles: 29.8 MPG
- Overall for the 181 miles I had the car including lots of 0-60 tests: 21.5 MPG"

I applaud your quasi-scientific testing of the car's parameters. One of the great things about the RT with auto trans and MDS is the good gas mileage.

I have an R/T and unless you live in Montana, it's hard to find a place within 300 miles of Chicago area, where you live, where you can safely wind it up anyway. I find the R/T is totally adequate power wise for 85% of my driving, I think you will find the same, and don't need an SRT unless you go to track event.

If you order one, limited slip is a must. If you go used, I strongly recommend you find one with limited slip. It's a must on these flexey, wheel-hopping unibody cars.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Having two previous R/T in the past (2010 Auto R/T and a 2013 R/T 6 speed) I would agree that it's probably the best option if you're not looking for more performance and a daily driver. I upgraded to the Scat Pack Shaker because of the new style (Shaker) and the 6.4L because I wanted more power but still be practical for a daily driver. As most said, if you test drive a 6.4L it's going to change your mind about the 5.7L unless like you stated, you're not looking for more performance. No matter what you choose you'll be happy with the Challenger. I always said if I needed a retirement car I would probably go with a V6 Charger because of the convenience of the 4 door and gas mileage with decent performance...

Good luck and welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my 2018 R/T Plus with the Shaker hood in Yellow Jacket color with stripe delete. Man, do I get the looks and comments. That color and shaker hood just attracts people like flies to...well...honey! I had a 2005 Magnum R/T with the 5.7 and that had 340 horsepower, so the new 5.7 in my Challenger has several more horsepower. I have the automatic which I love, being 65 years old with bad knees. Shifting with the paddles is a lot of FUN! I love the MDS because of better gas mileage. I have not driven the 392 because the 345 is plenty power for me. For the most part, there are stop lights everywhere locally and very few places to get on it. I have one road with a quarter mile that is straight in the country with open fields so it's easy to see if anyone or animals are around. I love putting it in sport mode and getting on it. It is every bit as fast as my 1968 Olds 442 that I had as a teen. The torque is great. Such a fantastic comfortable modern muscle car. The options are great and I have most of them. I'm sure that the 392 is amazing and congrats to those that have them. It seems that it is the one question that I get constantly...is that a 392? Nothing wrong with that 5.7. Also, I don't have to pay for premium gas and I did not have to pay that stupid high gas use tax. Best of luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
"After too many years of driving 4-cyl cars, V8 low-RPM torque!"

The RT does not have enough torque, that's one of the letdowns. At 375 hp, the torque spec. is less than the hp. Compare that to my LT1 Chevrolet engine, 260 hp stock with 330 ft./lbs. torque. The hemi is and has always been a top-end high revving engine. This is one of the reasons I've considered upgrading to a 6.4L SRT.

·
Registered
385 Posts
"I love the MDI because of better gas mileage."

I believe it's MDS, Multiple Displacement System for cylinder shutdown.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
"After too many years of driving 4-cyl cars, V8 low-RPM torque!"

The RT does not have enough torque, that's one of the letdowns. At 375 hp, the torque spec. is less than the hp. Compare that to my LT1 Chevrolet engine, 260 hp stock with 330 ft./lbs. torque. The hemi is and has always been a top-end high revving engine. This is one of the reasons I've considered upgrading to a 6.4L SRT.
the 5.7 Hemi in a Challenger application is 400 - 410 ft.lb depending on transmission

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The 5.7 is a great engine with more then enough power for daily driving and still gets decent gas mileage. I think the only reason to get a 6.4L is if you plan to race (and you can certainly race in a 5.7).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Since you went through so much trouble to measure mpg in the rental, it is clear that it is important to you. Don't drive the 392. You will never get good mpg with one. It is too much fun to get your foot into trouble in one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
SRT392 gas mileage: With cruise set at 63 on my way back from Ga. on I-75, I ran for maybe 300 miles straight and got 30.6 mpg if I recall correctly. I routinely get 19- 20 just cruising around town.
Gas isn't that much. Maybe 6 bucks extra per week. That is like nothing compared to my fast food bill.

However, every time I step on that gas pedal, I'm reminded all over again why I didn't settle for less. And that's really what it's all about. Nothing worse than spending good money for something and then kicking yourself cuz ya didn't buy whatcha really wanted. But it could also be argued that it's rough spending more than ya intended to get something ya really didn't need. Drive em both, look carefully at the prices and your budget, and make a wise decision. But DO NOT be guilty of guessing which one you want based on price alone. You worked hard for your money and deserve to have something you can't wait to drive every day. Hoping you'll love what ever you eventually choose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After too many years of driving 4-cyl cars, V8 low-RPM torque!
Per the pic below, I think it would be better to say that the 5.7 has good low-rpm torque and the 6.4 has REALLY GOOD low-rpm torgue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
21 Participants
Hal H
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing