Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is the situation. There's a dealer that is going to sell me Nokian Hakkapelitta 9 SUV winter tires in 245/45/20. Which is the standard size for my 2016 392 Shaker Scat Pack. The only problem is he won't sell them without rims, but his rims are sized for 9.5s vs 9s.

Max rating for 245/45/20 according to tirerack is 9". Rims are 20" x 9.5".

Half an inch of a difference. Please help, on whether I should buy or not buy. I don't want to damage these expensive tires. However it is only half an inch, if it won't make much of a difference, I'm willing to do it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way this is for a 2016 Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker, not the car in my signature, I've upgraded since :).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I moved the stock 235's (SXT) from the 7.5" rims to 8.5". That is the max Michelin recommends. They had a heck of a time getting the beads to seat, and these were not 1/2" wider than recommended.

Maybe you can sell the rims for the correct size?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
you could go to a 275/40 20 which will fit the 9.5" wheel - this is the size wheel / tire that SRTs and Hellcats use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is guys there are no other tires or rim sizes. These tires are sold out across USA and Canada! This guy can sell them to me like this. Yes or no?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would pass if it was me. The wheels are too wide for the tires, unless you want to look this the stretched tire rice burners.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,881 Posts
245's rated for 7.5"-9.0", so 9" is already outer limit. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
Like everyone has said, don't put a 245 tire on a 9.5 inch wheel. It won't perform or wear properly and could be dangerous. Compare diagram #1 with diagram #3, below.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like everyone has said, don't put a 245 tire on a 9.5 inch wheel. It won't perform or wear properly and could be dangerous. Compare diagram #1 with diagram #3, below.

I have to ask this one as I was wondering...can you put a 9.5" tire on a 9" rim without wear issues? Thanks! :SM030:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay everyone. I've listened to your advice and cancelled the deal. The seller has refused to return the wheels as they had already been mounted. So I asked him up ship them to me. I was originally going to have to go from Toronto to Quebec to get these. Nokian's exception is their tires will not be shipped and must be installed. I've decided on Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's instead, same wheels. Going with 275/40/20. Not as good winter tires so a little down about that, but at least they'll be the right size and I don't have to drive to Quebec. Thanks for the advice everyone. Anything else will also be very appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
417 Posts
You would be okay, but don't go any wider.
I wouldn't be going any wider and the more I think about it, I would most likely get a 9.5" rim. Thank you for your reply!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts