Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s time to replace my tires and wanted some feedback. Been reading through a lot of post on sizes for my stock 20x8” rim and see that 255 is the widest that is recommended to ensure proper fit and safe operation.

Is there any reason that I would not want to go with 255’s and just stick to the stock 245’s?

My reasoning to go with the wider tire is obviously better traction, but I wonder if that small of an increase would make a difference and if there would be any negative aspects(road noice, handling/cornering, etc).

I’m looking at the Continental DWS 06 and on discount tire direct the 255’s are actually cheaper.

I’m also open to any other tire recommendations around $150-$200 range.

For some background, I’m in South Florida, so it’s warm weather with a decent amount of rain. I don’t go to the track, so mainly daily driving with some spirited pulls here and there.

I appreciate all of your feedback🍻

Brian

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,657 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Brian ;) I'll give my thoughts. The difference in 245s and 255s is so small as to not make a special case to change from 245s to 255s. However, it also means that there is no reason not to.

My reasoning for choosing the 255s would be if as you mentioned they were cheaper, or the same cost. Why not get a little more width? The height difference is not enough to cause any issues, and would only slightly fill the opening better. The 255s will give slightly better wheel protection.

The reason not to get 255s would be if your choice of tire didn't come in 255, or was more expensive. Beyond that, the only slightly negatives would be if you liked the look of a low profile tire more, and the slight difference in speedometer readings

So I'd say, get the cheaper tire, or if the same price, I personally would get the 255s

A Guy

·
Registered
801 Posts
The performance gained by going from a 245 to a 255 width tire, is minimal at best.

The performance gained by going from an all season tire, to a summer performance tire or drag radial is astounding!

There are summer performance tires that are decent in the rain too. The $150-$200 price range is doable but if you can squeeze another $25-$50 per corner, you can get some GREAT performance tires in either size.

Reactions: Cheeno

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,985 Posts
Plus, (if already mentioned I apologize) you won't be rotating your tires fully with staggered sizes. So you can't even out wear.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Guy, thanks for that well informed reply and warm welcome! I wouldn’t mind a little taller tire anyways to fill the gap a little bit and I agree with your logic.

SpeedShift, I haven’t really looked much into summer tires or DR, and is definitely something I would be interested in. I realize i’ll get lower lifespan out of the summer tires, but if it’s a substantial difference in traction, it may be worth it. What brands stick out with decent performance in the rain?

Pioneer4x4, I appreciate that heads up. I’m going the same size on all 4 corners for now. I do eventually plan to get some wider factory reproductions and do a staggered setup with a nice beefy tire in the back. It’s just not in the budget at the moment☹

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The performance gained by going from a 245 to a 255 width tire, is minimal at best.

The performance gained by going from an all season tire, to a summer performance tire or drag radial is astounding!

There are summer performance tires that are decent in the rain too. The $150-$200 price range is doable but if you can squeeze another $25-$50 per corner, you can get some GREAT performance tires in either size.

I found these summer tires in my range: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, BF Goodwrench G-Force Sport Comp 2, Nitto INVO, Nitto NT05, and Nitto NT555 G2.

Any feedback on those?

·
Registered
801 Posts
SpeedShift, I haven’t really looked much into summer tires or DR, and is definitely something I would be interested in. I realize i’ll get lower lifespan out of the summer tires, but if it’s a substantial difference in traction, it may be worth it. What brands stick out with decent performance in the rain?
Tire Rack has some great tire comparisons. Some very good reading for sure. Start there, but keep in mind the vehicles that they are using for testing.

Realize that the best tire for a 2,200 lb Miata may not necessarily be the best tire for a 4,200 lb Challenger.

I think you can go to Tire Rack, put in your make model and year and ONLY see reviews for that car.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I found these summer tires in my range: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, BF Goodwrench G-Force Sport Comp 2, Nitto INVO, Nitto NT05, and Nitto NT555 G2.

Any feedback on those?
I don't have any 1st hand experience with those tires you have listed.

I do know that there are many Challenger owners here running the Nitto NT555's.
I have heard mostly positive things about the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire Rack has some great tire comparisons. Some very good reading for sure. Start there, but keep in mind the vehicles that they are using for testing.

Realize that the best tire for a 2,200 lb Miata may not necessarily be the best tire for a 4,200 lb Challenger.

I think you can go to Tire Rack, put in your make model and year and ONLY see reviews for that car.

Reading thru Tire Rack reviews right now and didn’t realize I could filter by make/model, Thanks for the feedback SpeedShift(y)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
436 Posts
Only negative is your speedo will be off but it isnt enough to worry about. Thats the ONLY negative if you can call it that. I was going to go 255's on mine but fell into a real sweet deal on some 9" wide wheels.
Tires are indeed cheaper for that size as well for some reason. Tires brands i like are BF Goodrich, Cooper, Nitto, Toyo, even some Falkens for our car and the Continentals are nice too....just a little pricier than the others mentioned if you're looking to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only negative is your speedo will be off but it isnt enough to worry about. Thats the ONLY negative if you can call it that. I was going to go 255's on mine but fell into a real sweet deal on some 9" wide wheels.
Tires are indeed cheaper for that size as well for some reason. Tires brands i like are BF Goodrich, Cooper, Nitto, Toyo, even some Falkens for our car and the Continentals are nice too....just a little pricier than the others mentioned if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Thanks Rayzaa, I can live with that. Out of curiosity, how much is the speedo off with your current setup?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks Rayzaa, I can live with that. Out of curiosity, how much is the speedo off with your current setup?
Its like what A Guy posted in post #2...its very minimul. Thats what yours is going to be.
I have 245/45 on my front and 275/40 in the rear so mine isnt off at all but im going to go 275/40 in the front when i need to change tires next timel. Since 275/40 is a hair shorter than 245/45 it will be even less than yours will be.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't we fit 275 on a stock rim with no rub? I know it's not recommended.
I’ve read post that people do it and have no problems. I honestly don’t have enough knowledge on the matter to take the chance. I’d rather stick to the guidelines and eventually get wider rims to get the wider tire.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T M6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going to be doing this exact same thing once the dealer tires wear out, would you mind posting a picture from the side profile just to see the difference of how much more it fill in the wheel well. I know it's not much but just curious

They only had the stock size 245’s in stock and i’m impatient :rolleyes: so I went with that. I should be taking her out tomorrow if the weather is decent here. I’ll snap a picture anyways and post it up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
They only had the stock size 245’s in stock and i’m impatient :rolleyes: so I went with that. I should be taking her out tomorrow if the weather is decent here. I’ll snap a picture anyways and post it up.
Ah bummer. It only takes a day to get them....at least that's how it is from Discount tire here. I tell em what i want and they order them.
Sometimes it's the same day if you tell them early enough when they open.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts