Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
It's a freakin' Dodge pickup by the way. I wish they would quit diluting the brand even further. Good thing the Challenger is still selling well, I'm not sure the Charger would be enough to keep the nameplate alive.

·
Super Moderator
14,199 Posts
Sergio's focus is on profits from the Jeep and Dodge Ram. Detroit icon Chrysler, saved out of bankruptcy by the Italians, was the subject of speculation before the meeting that it would die as a brand. The company said it plans to make most capital investments in next five years in global brands- just 25% will go to Chrysler, Dodge and Fiat. So investments are still planned but not at levels near Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo and Maserati.

As long as sales are high, I think that the Challenger will hang on, although virtually unchanged. Don't expect a new version or a 'Cuda in the future. (Note- The Demon has already been axed).

People have been "talking nonsense" with speculation over Fiat and Chrysler brands, Marchionne said. "This presentation's focus is on global brands. I think Chrysler is going to continue to be relevant in the U.S. Don't expect it to be a global brand."

According to Bloomberg, Sergio made good on his longstanding pledge to guide the automaker out of debt, and told investors he’ll institute a dividend for the first time since the company was formed from U.S. and Italian rivals.The car maker aims to double profit over the next five years, generating about 30 billion euros ($35 billion) in industrial free cash flow. About 20 percent of profit will be earmarked for a dividend, or about 6 billion euros, Chief Financial Officer Richard Palmer said in a presentation near Turin, Italy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a freakin' Dodge pickup by the way. I wish they would quit diluting the brand even further. Good thing the Challenger is still selling well, I'm not sure the Charger would be enough to keep the nameplate alive.
They sell almost twice the amount of Chargers then Challengers. 2017 Chargers 97,000, 2017 Challengers 66,000

·
Registered
463 Posts
That chart is only the "Global" brands. Dodge and Chrysler are North America only, that is why they aren't on the chart.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They sell almost twice the amount of Chargers then Challengers. 2017 Chargers 97,000, 2017 Challengers 66,000

Uhhh, 50% more...And then, only because it's a "family car" :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What make you think they're gonna put a Dodge name on a mid-sized pickup. Shows up on the RAM org-chart on their presentation. That wouldn't make no sense to have a Dodge pick-up now.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
What make you think they're gonna put a Dodge name on a mid-sized pickup. Shows up on the RAM org-chart on their presentation. That wouldn't make no sense to have a Dodge pick-up now.
Nothing. I believe that that Ram as it's own brand weakens Dodge as a brand. It also makes it easier to sell off if things go south.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I had no problem with the creation of the RAM brand and separating the RAM head logo and identity from Dodge. Chevy should do the same thing. Dump the Chevy truck, and make them all GMC. Chevrolet/Buick/Cadillac for cars. GMC for truck. Same with Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa/Mazzerati for cars and RAM for trucks and of course JEEP for SUVs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We're only 3 years into a refreshed Challenger...

What was the expectation?
I think a lot of people got sucked into the "Challenger/Cuda on-a-Alfa Romeo-chassis" hype and got expectations way up. We're 4 model years 15, 16, 17, 18 into this style. Previous was a 7 year run from '08-14, so you're right...complaining about needing a refresh is a tad premature....but not by much.

I see there being three camps here.

1. Wants the Challenger to be the same weight, HP, motor options as the Camaro/Mustang. Make everything out of aluminum and Carbon Fiber, add an e-torque motor and eventually an all-electric version

2. Wants the Challenger to stay basically the same, but with a cosmetic refresh (Cuda styling), convertible, some different motors (Turbo 4, 426) and some different model packages.

3. Wants the Challenger to stay exactly as it is and never change until the end of times.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Fair enough. I tend to ignore the rumor mill on cars, whether it be concept drawings or blog-created rumors, so my level-set may be different than others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nothing. I believe that that Ram as it's own brand weakens Dodge as a brand. It also makes it easier to sell off if things go south.
And why wouldn't a company want the ability to get rid of the dogs in its product line up? They are just staying positioned for the future.

·
Registered
880 Posts
We're entering model year 5 of the refresh with the 2019 models when tomorrow's order banks open. Soon there will be more refresh versions on the road than 2008-14 models if not already. Which I like better.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
And why wouldn't a company want the ability to get rid of the dogs in its product line up? They are just staying positioned for the future.
Because Dodge will be the dog they kill when their muscle car offerings sales finally slump. Those sales are more apt to slump if the designs are not refreshed. Imagine what the sales stats would be if the Honda Accord was going into it's 12th year with only one minor refresh. Who would have ever thought that Dodge would be carried by V8 RWD cars?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts