Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the differences between the two materials, and that 2618 is better for boost while 4032 is better for street cars.

So now here's my question, is anyone running 4032 pistons with boost? I put more miles than most guys with built cars seem to so the 4032 makes more sense to me. The 4032 would also definitely be an upgrade over the stock hypereutectics. I'm never gonna push this car past 10-12 psi and it's on 93.
My logic is purely educated guessing, that a 4032 piston is not only forged for strength, but also has slightly lower silica content. Stock pistons are good for 8-9 psi on a good tune so why wouldn't 4032 be very safe at 10psi?

Unless someone can come on here and say they're running 2618s with 50k+ miles on them and no issues daily driving.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a few hours of deeper research I see MMX recommends 4032 for up to 10-12psi (lucky guess). I also see that Dakbuilder is using 4032 for his 1000HP TT392 build so I'm confident they would work for my much milder build. Planning on forging the bottom end sometime in January when I also plan to fix the rusting rockers. $$$

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
After a few hours of deeper research I see MMX recommends 4032 for up to 10-12psi (lucky guess). I also see that Dakbuilder is using 4032 for his 1000HP TT392 build so I'm confident they would work for my much milder build. Planning on forging the bottom end sometime in January when I also plan to fix the rusting rockers. $$$
JD40 sorry that I saw this so late. When I looked into doing my build, I did extensive research. Like you I plan on street driving my car often. With that said 4032 forged pistons can take way more abuse then 10-15. My thoughts were the material is better and designed to last longer than a stock piston & 2618 forging. I’ll keep you posted as to how things turn out. I can for sure tell you I’ll be running 15-20 psi on my setup regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD40

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed all or atleast most of the vendors forged shortblocks use 2618 pistons. I wonder how many guys running them are putting miles on it. I like the idea of just pulling my block out and dropping in a new assembled one but I'm also leaning towards a 4032 piston

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I noticed all or atleast most of the vendors forged shortblocks use 2618 pistons. I wonder how many guys running them are putting miles on it. I like the idea of just pulling my block out and dropping in a new assembled one but I'm also leaning towards a 4032 piston
I think they Choose the 2618 because they are more forgiving to detonation which means the tuning can very and the engine should still live for a while. At the end of the day I think you will be fine with either a 4032 or a 2618 piston. Just depends on ones use case.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Wheel

Here is a picture of my custom 4032 forged piston from DSS. If you look closely you will see that this piston is gas ported to help with higher temperatures and assist in detonation like the 2628 forged units behave. I will say that the material is extremely light as I have - 50 gram reduction in weight per piston on my rotating assembly. These are some of the many reasons I choose to go with a 4032 forging over a 2618 setup. There are more but this is enough information for those who don’t build engines or know that there is a difference.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 1003127
Here is a picture of my custom 4032 forged piston from DSS. If you look closely you will see that this piston is gas ported to help with higher temperatures and assist in detonation like the 2628 forged units behave. I will say that the material is extremely light as I have - 50 gram reduction in weight per piston on my rotating assembly. These are some of the many reasons I choose to go with a 4032 forging over a 2618 setup. There are more but this is enough information for those who don’t build engines or know that there is a difference.

Right, and the ring landings much thicker I see too. Those are nice pistons, excited to see them on yours when it's all finished. I may follow and go the same route

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Right, and the ring landings much thicker I see too. Those are nice pistons, excited to see them on yours when it's all finished. I may follow and go the same route
Yes the upper skirt is much improved. I put a lot of thought into every component I’m using for this build. This piston is designed to handle all the boost. The motor is done. I just need to source my turbos now and the rest of the supporting parts. I’m hoping to be tuning sometime in December. Gotta replenish my spending funds. The short of it though you can have the best of both worlds with today’s technology. I didn’t want my pistons slapping around in the cylinder walls. If I ever have to do a rebuild I have more meat left to work with. Which is why I choose the ;032 casting at the end of the day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you are not going to get upwards of 1000 plus horse I would go with the 4032. When i forged my motor i went with the mmx piston pack kit with the 2618 mahles. Heard I should get at least 100 k out of the motor. But with it being a summer weekend car I dought It will ever see that kind of mileage. Iam only running 12 psi on my 392 I do plan on running more boost. Thinking back I should have bought the 4032 I dought I will ever use the full potential of these 2618

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are not going to get upwards of 1000 plus horse I would go with the 4032. When i forged my motor i went with the mmx piston pack kit with the 2618 mahles. Heard I should get at least 100 k out of the motor. But with it being a summer weekend car I dought It will ever see that kind of mileage. Iam only running 12 psi on my 392 I do plan on running more boost. Thinking back I should have bought the 4032 I dought I will ever use the full potential of these 2618
Do you ever have piston slap on cold starts? My worry is that I drive my car in the winter and it can get pretty cold up here in NJ.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes I have slap every time I start it when the motor is cold, I let it sit 3 to 4 min after I start it then baby it till oil temp up. But after it warms up it's gone. I personally would not go with 2618 for winter use

1 - 12 of 12 Posts