Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to tire calculators the 265/30/22 size tire is the almost exact height of the stock 18" tires but I see that many challenger owners running 22s prefer the 35 series tires for the extra meat. However they are about an inch taller. I know it will have an impact on the odometer but should I be worried about transmission issues in the long run? I had never considered the staggered look until joining this site. I've seen a lot of staggered 20s but is it as popular with the 22 inch setup?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok several views but no responses thus far. I guess the 22 inch setup isn't as popular. Just thought I could get some opinions on the two different sizes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm running 265/35/22 x 295/30/22 and no rubbing at all in front or back. Have about 1/4 clearance from the control arm bolt in the front.

Only scare i had was one time I was getting an alignment they lifted it on the rack and claimed the back wheels were hitting the inner fender plastic, but I told them they don't rub while on the ground/driving and they were able to align with no issues.

Only downside to staggered set up is that you can't rotate tires and at 25k miles on the tires i have pretty bad feathering on the inner shoulder of the front tires and slightly on the back ones.

Stock height, no springs

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it would have any effect on the transmission. It would appear as if different gears were installed to the transmission, and people do that change all the time. The 22s with 265/35 would be .6" diameter larger than a 245/45R20 (or 275/40R20). However, you will be very close to the upper control arm bolt:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/22inch-rims-265-35-22-rubbing-control-arm-bolt-512418/

A Guy

Thanks a bunch! I did do a search on that tire size and found the biggest concern for some was the upper control arm bolt that you mentioned rubbing. But a simple fixe is to grind the bolt down a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts