Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Issues?

Looks great. I see that the diameter is 30.5". How long have you had them on? Isn't there issues with the computer, or do you have a custom tune?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a diablo but I am getting an error when i try to change the tire size. I am going to see if Johan can fix it up for me. No codes so far.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Interesting

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Pretty much the look I was going to aim for. Possibly a 1" drop in the front to close the 4x4 factory gap. Hows the overall fit on the OEM rim?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent got a chance to test it yet since it is my wife's daily driver. If the weather stays clear I am going to take it out to the strip tonight.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
A little more sidewall looks old school - nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a 392 front splitter? With the rake, front lowered and bigger splitter you are going to have to be real careful around curbs!!! But yea i think that would look awesome.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Looks good but that big of a dia. change (1.75") is very likely going to slow the car down as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times go unless you change the rear gear. If that don't matter then all is good.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Looks good on your RT!

·
Registered
538 Posts
That big of a tire is totally making your gearing run like its a long gear instead of a short gear. You got to be losing bottom end power off the line. Looks good and would rock with eibach pro kit but man the gearing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand about the gearing but tons of horsepower at the rear wheel does you no good if it wont stick to the ground. This will help!!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I understand about the gearing but tons of horsepower at the rear wheel does you no good if it wont stick to the ground. This will help!!!
I agree it may help dig out of the hole as it won't be as easy to spin, but once you get going it's going to be slower, I'd like to see 1/4 mile times with both.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'll throw this curveball into the discussion...could go either way, I think (assuming this is a 6-spd, here). If the taller wheel lets you stay in 3rd gear longer, maybe you make up any time lost from the taller wheel. You'll still probably have to grab 4th before the 1/4 mi is out, but the less time you spend in that gear (which will be a taller bump than any tire upgrade while in 3rd gear), could be an advantage.

Taking the concept to the extreme, you could make the tire tall enough so that all you need is 3rd gear to complete the 1/4 mi...which is essentially what is done in the Camaro SS 6-spd (except the axle ratio facilitates this, rather than tire "ratio"). I would not expect these 2 approaches to be entirely equivalent, of course, since a larger tire OD (while holding wheel size) will usually mean a heavier tire, which will mean a larger rotational inertia penalty...but then it is taller, so it is actually rotating less so for a given road speed, so I really have no idea where that ends up, better or not. ;) The higher redline on the LS3 probably helps out the recipe in a 3-gears for 1/4 mi approach, too...might not translate well to an RT Hemi with its stock redline.

Like your original goal...hooking up better at the launch for the wide tire should count for something. :) Only way to know is to try it out and see what you get...

If you're really curious about things, might even consider "less" tire (lower tire mass, lower inertial losses), but make up for the traction with a camber-correction in your rear suspension...but I digress, since that is evidently a "controversial" approach on this car. :p

Reactions: jec1052
1 - 20 of 53 Posts