Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so finished my 274 cam build and kooks lt headers. Took longer than expected but got her done in 5 days. Work was mostly done by a buddy of mine who is a diesel tech.

So far no issues, I used a different spring kit than most, I used the mopar performance valve spring that they use in the scat pack stage 2 kit. My rev limiter is set at 6500 and there has been no valve float so far. This spring is literally a drop in spring rated for a .625 lift uses your stock retainers locators etc. Made from the same material used for the springs in the viper.

Right now im in the process of email tuning with josh at hhp, just running the start up tune and logging atm.

For anyone looking to do this build, make sure you are getting a new crank bolt as it is torque to yield. I also got a new cam bolt but from what I read its not necessary. If you are taking off the heads you will need new head gaskets and head bolts. The cheaper way would be to buy a tool that allows you to compress the springs with the heads on. I rented a universal spring compressor which was the biggest B**** to use, in hindsight I should have just bought the tool that many hemi performance shops sell online. I also bought new gaskets for the timing cover and water pump, apparently it is possible to take off the timing cover while the waterpump is attached but we took it off separately anyways.
If you are installing yourself make sure the timing is set properly, cam dot points 12 crank dot at 6, you line up the lines on the timing chain accordingly ( 2 lines at the 12 dot 1 line at the 6 dot) once the gears start turning the chain will no longer line up with the dots. We rotated the engine as well just incase if the timing was off it wouldn't cause engine damage.

Lt headers was a pita to install, I used new oem gaskets. We didn't torque it to spec, just used air tools and tightened by feeling. So far no leaks, didn't even retorque after heat cycle, I wouldn't recommend this method tho. I read that you can loosen some bolts from the engine mount and move it side to side with a pump jack to make it easier to install but we didnt bother with it.

At the end of the day it was a good feeling taking part in the build unlike before where I would just bring it to a shop.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
Good you got it all installed. Curious to see the verdict on it once you get it dialed in. Did you get a nice lope from it?

A Guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good you got it all installed. Curious to see the verdict on it once you get it dialed in. Did you get a nice lope from it?

A Guy

Yeah it lopes pretty good when the engine warms up and gets down to its set idle rpm. Currently on the second tune from josh @hhp, he added a little more fuel @wot. It pulls pretty good atm, I will prob toss her on the dyno after I get the tune dialed in 100%

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
Awesome, enjoy it :thumbsup:

A Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts