Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Was the GT originally equipped with splash guards?
No the splash guards are a MOPAR option. I put them on my GT as well the MOPAR ones fit very well their are aftermarket company's making them as well but I like the MOPAR guards best.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the GT originally equipped with splash guards?
I installed the Mopar splash guards to help protect the lower 1/4s. The paint on my 2010 Challenger SRT8 was chipped easily and within 6 months the 1/4 panels needed to be repainted (under warranty) and I never drove on a gravel road.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Installed Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 275/40/20 on my 2017 GT AWD today. Rims are 20x9 +38. No rubbing so far and I have over 200 miles on them already.
The front wheels are +38 as well?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wow...those wheels and tires look really nice! What brand wheels are they? Look like aftermarket yet they appear similar to OEM Scat Wheels in design...

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Installed Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 275/40/20 on my 2017 GT AWD today. Rims are 20x9 +38. No rubbing so far and I have over 200 miles on them already.

275_40_20 Side

275_40_20 LR

275_40_20 RL
Greetings from Portland - we'll have to see how that size works going over the coastal range this winter when the snow develops. Keep us posted.

Haven't made it over to Tillamook recently to stock up on their jerky at their outlet store...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front wheels are +38 as well?
All 4 rims are Milanni 9052 Tycoon 20x9 5x115 +38mm Graphite. For the AWD +35 to +40 is what should be used on a 9" wide rim. The calculator below is a good guide if you are looking for different rims. I would of gone with 285/40/20 DWS06 tires but they don't make them. I've been running 285/35/19 DWS06 tires on my 2014 SS Sedan for 60K+ miles & love them.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=235-55-19X7.5ET55&wheel2=275-40-20X9ET38&fcl=1in&scl=1in&wcl=2.75in&sr=0in
Note: Suspension clearance on the AWD Challenger is only 1" and my setup did move closer by 1/8"

Greetings from Portland - we'll have to see how that size works going over the coastal range this winter when the snow develops. Keep us posted.

Haven't made it over to Tillamook recently to stock up on their jerky at their outlet store...
Both my 2013 Mustang GT & 2014 SS Sedan sporting DWS06 tires crossed the snowy coastal range last winter without any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would love to know how you like the Continental's. I'm thinking about the same tire. I don't drive it all winter, but I'm curious if they handle well in rain as well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would love to know how you like the Continental's. I'm thinking about the same tire. I don't drive it all winter, but I'm curious if they handle well in rain as well.
I am a big fan of the DWS06 tires. I've had them on my 2014 SS Sedan for over 60K miles. These tires are great in the wet and do fine in the snow. I drove in light snow last night & this morning without any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks! I'd read good things about these tires. They look good on that gorgeous color red too!! Very nice.

I am a big fan of the DWS06 tires. I've had them on my 2014 SS Sedan for over 60K miles. These tires are great in the wet and do fine in the snow. I drove in light snow last night & this morning without any issues.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I almost fell 3 times walking to my Challenger this morning due to the ice. Car was parked outside but the remote start had my heated seats & steering warm & windows clear. I drove away like I was driving on a tacky mat. I drove 200 miles on ice roads last night without a single slip.

Here is the inside clearance of the 275/40/20 on a 20x9 +38 rims. No rubbing anywhere. Barely a week old and I have 1,500 miles on my new tires already..
Backside 275_40_20 on 20x9 +38

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
I almost fell 3 times walking to my Challenger this morning due to the ice. Car was parked outside but the remote start had my heated seats & steering warm & windows clear. I drove away like I was driving on a tacky mat. I drove 200 miles on ice roads last night without a single slip.

Here is the inside clearance of the 275/40/20 on a 20x9 +38 rims. No rubbing anywhere. Barely a week old and I have 1,500 miles on my new tires already..
Backside 275_40_20 on 20x9 +38
Still getting used to seeing an axle shaft @ the front hub...its like that when looking at a Mercedes, and realizing it has 4-Matic (AWD system).

Looks like a very different front strut, with that long U-bracket that has go around the half shaft.

Good hear those DWS06's grip well. You've been doing some serious driving there.

BTW - invest in a pair of Yak Trax. I slipped an fell on ice in January...took a split second and I hit the ground hard.
-the slip over the sole of any shoe / boot and its like having cable chains for your shoes.

It resulted in a very expensive surgery for an titanium implant and to rebuild my elbow...and it gets very expensive.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have almost 6,000 miles on my new (Dec 13th) tires already and over 2,000 of that has been on snow or ice roads. These tires are awesome. My son just put some DWS06s on his 2016 Camaro 2SS and loves them.

We rented a Chalet in northern Washington for a long weekend and ran into snow leaving the Oregon Coast then again getting to where we were going,
2017 Challenger GT in snow (1)

2017 Challenger GT in snow (2)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the great info! Lifelong Mopar guy, first time Challenger owner. GT model finally made the purchase "somewhat" practical. Just placed my order for my summer rims, need 2 sets here in New Hampshire. Will upload some photos once on the car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts