Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running this set-up?

I see the 295/40 is between 1/2" - 3/4" taller than the 275/40 (which is the same height as the OEM 245/45 tires) - will that height difference be a problem on this staggered set-up?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,063 Posts

I see the 295/40 is between 1/2" - 3/4" taller than the 275/40 (which is the same height as the OEM 245/45 tires) - will that height difference be a problem on this staggered set-up?
The difference in diameter will affect the speedometer accuracy if the car is 2014 or older. 2015 and up use the wheel speed sensors to calculate speedometer though, so it shouldnt be a problem, that I’m aware.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
714 Posts
The difference in diameter will affect the speedometer accuracy if the car is 2014 or older. 2015 and up use the wheel speed sensors to calculate speedometer though, so it shouldnt be a problem, that I’m aware.
Shouldn't that throw an ABS code if the front and rear wheel speed sensors are detecting different speeds as you would have with a setup like this? I haven't run a setup with staggered diameters since my '78 Z28 and back then it was a speedo drive gear change.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Shouldn't that throw an ABS code if the front and rear wheel speed sensors are detecting different speeds as you would have with a setup like this?
Yeah, I may be thinking of the gearing calculations being automatically done. I guess the tire size would have to be programmed for the sensors to know everything else.

So an inaccurate speedo may be the result of the difference in tire size, possibly an ABS/ESC warning light as well…unless the tire sizes are reprogrammed that is

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Well the sidewall height difference is basically 15.5 mm, or 1.6 cm, which is a hair over a half of an inch. According to my back of the napkin math, that difference is approximately 2% (2.13 to be exact), which is within the margin of error as far as I know for the speedometer to be off without throwing a code or warning light.

Reactions: raceheart77

·
Super Moderator
16,630 Posts

What size width wheels are you using?

You can get by with 9-inch wheels for the 275 tires, but the 295 needs a 10-11.5 inch wheel for the tire to wear and perform properly.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
31,305 Posts
Well the sidewall height difference is basically 15.5 mm, or 1.6 cm, which is a hair over a half of an inch. According to my back of the napkin math, that difference is approximately 2% (2.13 to be exact), which is within the margin of error as far as I know for the speedometer to be off without throwing a code or warning light.
Tire Product Wheel Automotive tire Font

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Font

A Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts