Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that most people believe that 255s are the widest you should use on 8" rims. However, I have read multiple posts from people who run 275s on the stock 8" wheels. If you have any firsthand....positive or negative...experience with this setup I would be very interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Just because people do something doesn't make it right.

The minimum width for a 275/40-20 tire is 9 inches. If you try to squeeze it on an 8 inch wheel, it will not wear or perform properly and may actually be dangerous. Under fast cornering it will tend to distort excessively sideways (i.e., the tire will want to roll or fold over the rim).

Tire fitment guides specify a 9 to 11 inch wheel width for this size tire (see link, below).

Look at the middle image of the following diagram.

Tire Fitment.jpg

If you want to mount this size tire, invest in some after market wheels or pick up a used set from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Thank you Cuda340. I have seen/read much of that before. I agree that just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

I’m still hoping to hear firsthand accounts (positive or negative $ from members.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It would be a cold day in hell before I dropped $800 or more on tires only to have centers of the wore out in a matter of a few months. I won't even get into alignment, ride or drive ability.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It's a topic that's been beaten to death many times. Long story short, there is absolutely no performance benefit to be had in doing so.

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Yes. Thank you Cuda340. I have seen/read much of that before. I agree that just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

I’m still hoping to hear firsthand accounts (positive or negative $ from members.
I would only listen to the tire manufacturers. They are the experts- not someone who made a risky move and improperly mounted a wide tire on a narrow wheel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of 275s on stock rims I am leaning towards picking up a second set of wheels/tires via Craigslist. My only concern is proper fitment. I know to look for 5x115 lug pattern but backspacing/offset is still a grey area for me. Is there a list or chart or diagram that someone could point me to that outlines those perameters for different wheel widths in order to fit the Challenger? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,493 Posts
Instead of 275s on stock rims I am leaning towards picking up a second set of wheels/tires via Craigslist. My only concern is proper fitment. I know to look for 5x115 lug pattern but backspacing/offset is still a grey area for me. Is there a list or chart or diagram that someone could point me to that outlines those perameters for different wheel widths in order to fit the Challenger? Thanks.
I have the 9.5" with 275, and I am considering a 2nd set as well. I would only buy an actual set from a Challenger/Charger/300. Solves all issues, durable quality, they look great, and would likely have working and compatible TPMS Sensors.

Reactions: Rg21044

·
Super Moderator
14,943 Posts
Here is a useful site for determining the proper wheel offset:

Also, instead of using Craigslist, I would check the prices of used OEM wheels using the following national parts locator:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts