Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '17 T/A 392 has the 275 all season Nero's. Looking for a summer only tire good on the autocross track with dry traction much more important than wet. I want to stick to the factory size and don't see a ton of options. So far looks like the summer P Zero's with 220 treadwear (OEM tires if my car came with the optional summer tires) look to be best. Any other options to consider?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I know you said you want to stick to factory size, but I just want to make sure that you know that 285/35R20 is a very good alternative. It fits safely on your wheels, It really opens up your options for autoX tires, and It's close enough in height that the speedometer is only off by about 1 kmh in most cases.

I had the Bridgestones Potenza RE71R in 285/35R20 on 20x9.5s for autoX before. It worked very well if you don't care about noise or ride comfort. The thick sidewalls had no problem with the weight of the Challenger. The grip was maybe a bit beyond what the factory suspension was designed for. Without significant modifications, it's about as good of a tire for autocross as you can put on your car.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Doesn't look like Nitto makes anything in that size according to their site.
Nitto NT05 says is good for cornering just do not get the NT05R (I have 2 of those for my rears and are drag racing tires)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,650 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,650 Posts
The S007A if you don't want to/can't run the Bridgestones Potenza RE71R in 285/35R20 as BlackHemi41 mentioned. Less choices at 275/40/20. Less choices for 20" all together. 19" seems to be the sweet spot

A Guy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nitto NT05 says is good for cornering just do not get the NT05R (I have 2 of those for my rears and are drag racing tires)

I take that back. When I look up application Nitto says they offer nothing but they show the NT05 in a 275/40ZR20 but nobody has them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 for the S007A

I have been running these on the front (275/45R18) for about a year and has phenomenal grip for a street tire. Very impressed

Haven't had it on the track yet but agressive canyon runs and cornering I haven't heard these tires step out of line yet.
Have either of you used the Bridgestones to replace OEM summer P Zeros? Wondering how the 240 tw bridgestones stack up against the 220 tw Pirellis.

The 285/35R20 does open up a bunch more options....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Have either of you used the Bridgestones to replace OEM summer P Zeros? Wondering how the 240 tw bridgestones stack up against the 220 tw Pirellis.
No unfortunately my stock tires were 245 garbage.

What I have compared them too is the Nitto nt555 g2's and a set of michelins I ran (forget the submodel)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,650 Posts
I have 8" wheels with 245s, lol. I just know stuff :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

The 285/35R20 does open up a bunch more options....
No experience with my Hellcat and the various summer/high performance tires, other than the Pirelii it came with, but I have with other cars run high performance Pireli, Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone tires.

All tires were sanctioned by the factory all the same size, etc. All performed quite well and honestly without looking the name on the tire I could not tell which brand of tire was on the car based on the performance of the tire.

In my case my selection of tire was based on availability and when I had a choice between say Pirelli and Michelin then it was one of price. Often this excluded Michelin tires as they cost considerably more but several times Michelin tires were priced quite competitively and I went with Michelin just to experience them.

Been a long time since I auto-crossed and I have not looked into this in decades but before you go bigger tires be sure this does not put you into a "modified" class and have you competing against cars with not only more tire but more other things as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my case my selection of tire was based on availability and when I had a choice between say Pirelli and Michelin then it was one of price.
Thats where I'm at. I'm not a hardcore autocrosser but since my car is garaged and tries to stay in nice weather I have no need for all seasons. So performance per dollar is important and imagine that any low 200 tw summer tire will outperform the 400 all seasons I have on the street, the autox course and the drag strip.

During my research I did find P Zero's for a bargain price shipped. Amazon.com: Pirelli P ZERO High Performance Tire - 275/40R20 106Y: Pirelli: Automotive

When I search the same MFG P/N on Tire Rack they are different than the ones they say are OE tires for a challenger but they have identical specifications but are listed as a TPC spec tire which looks like some GM tire grading system. Maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a lead on the S007A's for about the same price. Might go with them.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thats where I'm at. I'm not a hardcore autocrosser but since my car is garaged and tries to stay in nice weather I have no need for all seasons. So performance per dollar is important and imagine that any low 200 tw summer tire will outperform the 400 all seasons I have on the street, the autox course and the drag strip.

During my research I did find P Zero's for a bargain price shipped. Amazon.com: Pirelli P ZERO High Performance Tire - 275/40R20 106Y: Pirelli: Automotive

When I search the same MFG P/N on Tire Rack they are different than the ones they say are OE tires for a challenger but they have identical specifications but are listed as a TPC spec tire which looks like some GM tire grading system. Maybe I am missing something.
I would not assume that "any low 200 tw summer tire" would work well on your car. There is more to a tire than its size and tread wear rating.

Consider these cars a pretty heavy. They also are capable of high performance arising from acceleration but also from cornering and braking. A suitable tire has to be able to withstand these situations have enough strength to deform as required to maximize tread contact with the road but to withstand loads that could have the car dancing all the road like a squirrel on meth.

When it comes to tires my advice has always been to stay with factory sanctioned tires, tire sizes, and tire and wheel combinations. If the factory sanctions summer/high performance tires that's what's I would advise you to use.

If there is no factory sanctioned summer/high performance tire then I'd try to find a suitably sized tire that had the same speed rating, load rating and a softer tread for more grip. Maybe. But if I did I would be prepared to bin the tires if the car manifested unacceptably bad road manners with these tires fitted.

My advice in your case would be attend an auto cross event or two. Run the tires that are on the car. Be sure they are properly inflated. See how the tires do how the car does and last but not least how you do.

When not running observe other similar cars and see how they do. After a run walk over and check out the tires.

Remember not all the good performance can be from the tires. I have seen a number of auto cross events and I have been able to observe some very good drivers. Improving your driving skill could be as good or better than fitting gripper tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
If your wheels are 9" wide, I would stick to a 275/40-20 tire. This is the maximum width that will wear and perform properly. Anything wider will be pinched on the wheel.

Tire Fitment.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I would not assume that "any low 200 tw summer tire" would work well on your car. There is more to a tire than its size and tread wear rating.

Consider these cars a pretty heavy. They also are capable of high performance arising from acceleration but also from cornering and braking. A suitable tire has to be able to withstand these situations have enough strength to deform as required to maximize tread contact with the road but to withstand loads that could have the car dancing all the road like a squirrel on meth.
I hear you, that's why I am on a Challenger forum inquiring. I've never seen anything larger than a Mustang run at my local course. The other thing that complicates it is the lack of options in the factory size so it will be hard to find a few people in the same boat.

My car could have been optioned with P Zero's so I guess that qualifies as a factory sanctioned tire but its also a model that's been around quite a while.

The S007A is a 106Y Xl tire just like the OE Summer P Zero's.

My car has 9.5" wheels.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
432 Posts
The top 3 autocross tires (200 treadwear "Extreme Performance Summer" category) are:
  • BF Goodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
  • Yokohama Advan A052
The BFGs (LL rated) don't come in 20" leaving you with the RE-71R (SL rated) or A052 (XL rated) in:
  • 255/40R20 (28" dia for 8.5-10" rim)
  • 285/35R20 (27.9" dia for 9.5-11" rim)
For reference the stock 245/45R20 & 275/40R20 are 28.7" dia. Also, since the '08 Challenger/'10 Camaro/'15 Mustang, many track enthusiasts have put 285/35R20 tires on 9" rims. The manufacturers don't recommend it but you can do your own research and make a judgement call. It's not like trying to put 285s on 8" or 315s on 9" rims.

"Max Performance Summer" is the next step down with 275/40R20 options finally available - and with warranties! Amongst the many options in this category (Pirelli PZ4, Continental ExtremeContactSport, Nitto NT05, etc.) is the sportscar benchmark Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) tire. These tires can handle street, autocross and track day duty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts