Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I use 305/35-18 MT drag radials And found them to be consistently better at hooking
up at the track then my 270/40-20’s. That being said if you are not drag racing unless
you find an esthetic value in the tire size I would not bother.

·
Registered
716 Posts
With the 392 the bigger the rear tires the better! My 275 Nittos basically aren't there - meaning the car will destroy them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I mean on the hell cat fourms alot of people were saying a bigger tire could hurt 0-60 times and that's something that would bother, there are also people running 275 555rs with their stock hellcats that make far greater power than my 392 which is why I'm wondering if there is even a point in going 305 speed wise and the extra rotational mass might slow me down a bit vs a 20x9 rim with a 275 radial
I would suggest you check out the Track Talk section of this forum for additional info and experiences with 275's vs a wider tire.
As far as those Hellcats on 275's, how well are they hooking?
I've had problems hooking with 305's DR's, with my 392, with lighter forged wheels. But then again, I know I need more experience with my launch, which is another big factor.

EDIT: I believe not hooking will slow you down a lot more then the extra rotational mass.

·
Registered
486 Posts
are they the 555R or the G2 cause my G2 are pretty crap but I've seen that 555Rs kill it
The 555R's are drag radials. The G2 are not. Big difference.

In my case, since I plan on keeping my tires on the car all the time, I plan on going with the M/T ET STREET S/S drag radials. And since I won't be chasing 10ths of seconds, I decided to just go with the 275's on my existing lighter forged wheels as opposed to having to buy new wheels for a wider tire.
But if you're buying rear wheels anyway, and are talking drag radials, I think you should opt for the wider rear tires and wheels.
If you're still concerned with the little added weight of the wider setup, you could go with a smaller diameter wheel and matching tire, as many do. That would save you weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question and advice.... I have an 08 SRT and we are trying to decide on 305 vs 315 for the rear. 20x10.5 Replicas and going with Nitto G2 and Eibach Sportline springs. Do the 315's fit without mods to the wheel well?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Unfortunately 315’s are going to be a variable. They work on some and others not.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have 20x10's in rear with 305's on them and 20x8's in front with the same size as stock tires that came with the car on them, I also have an identical set of 20x10's in the barn with drag radials on them. Any idea if I bought another set f 305 street tires and replaced the drag radials with them and put on the front would they work (other than looking a little oddball possibly) or would they rub?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts