Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just posted some pictures in the aftermarket wheels thread but I thought some people might appreciate a write up here as well. I have only seen one other person post pics of 295/40/20s on all four corners on a red 392... claimed no issues or modifications necessary. Maybe our cars/tires varied slightly because I did run into some rubbing on the stud of the upper control arm... needless to say they fit now as you can see in the last pic... lol. But no other rubbing/fitment issues. I've only had these on for 24 hours. I am going to be bringing it to a local mechanic to see if I can't shave that stud down a bit or figure something out going forward.

These are Continental Cross Contact UHP SUV summer tires with a Y speed rating. I believe they are originally for a Mercedes SUV. They are 0.6" taller than the standard tires (0.3" extra ground clearance, however, I found myself gaining over a half inch after going from low tread stocks to fresh tread 295/40s)

Ride quality is improved. Every mode is a bit smoother. Grip is immense. Now I was coming from bald stock all season Pirellis, but these have amazing grip in comparison... almost too good... I can no longer spin them at 40 or 50 mph. Keep in mind the taller tire essentially gives me slightly lower gear ratio... I'm not sure if that's the right terminology but you guys know what I'm getting at.

I have the outer lip of my rims dipped black when you're looking at these pics so there is an appearance that the tires are even slightly larger than they actually are.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks great! My understanding is that in order to mount 295's you need a 10" rim. Did the shop that mounted your tires question this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks great! My understanding is that in order to mount 295's you need a 10" rim. Did the shop that mounted your tires question this?
Thank you! They did not. I have heard a couple different maxes for the stock rim size... some say 285 some say 295. But the place I had it done at didn't question it and so far I have not had any issues or complaints in that department. They seem very knowledgable, I get all my oil changes done their as well. They pointed out the control arm stud issue before they even mounted all 4 tires and I made the call to proceed anyway.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Yes, stock suspension all around. Tires give me an extra .3" though
Look is fantastic, nice and flush.

This has me wondering how people are fitting 315s back there on 10.5" wheels.

I know the 10.5 have a 25 offset, but that still put them 6mm out further than the SRT wheels. On top of that, you have 20mm additional tire width (10 inside, 10 outside). So, your talking about 16mm out further than you are in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also all tires are not the same size. I ran into this on my Maserati. German tires claimed it was 295-40-19 it was the exact same size as a Michelin PSS 275-40-19. Hence the 295-40-19's had to come off as they rubbed the wheel wells. I called the German tire company and they had all kind of excuses but that tire had been discontinued as I think they got caught. "Did you call Michelin because there tire was to big?". Really you think Michelin is giving away free rubber. More likely they Germans were shorting you on rubber, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts