Dodge Challenger Forum banner

295/40 on 9" Rim

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 ·
I currently run 275/40 all around on 20x9" rims. I'd like to put 295/40s on the rim without buying new rims. The minimum RECOMMENDED rim width for that size is 9.5". I'd never put that tire on a 20x8.5" rim, but it should be able to work on just a half inch less tire, right?

#2 ·
Some guys do it with zero issues , although it’s not the ideal as far as performance of the tire. IMO it’s pushing the limit a wee bit , but I’d probably go for it. I’ve run 315’s on a 10”wheel(min recommended is 10.5”)for many many miles without a single issue whatsoever. Many others will tell you not to do it, it’s not safe , blah blah blah. I’ve yet to see any evidence pertaining to so small a difference as far as safety is concerned. So in the end, I’ll tell you that yes it’s possible and will still benefit over the existing 275’s. But it’s your call as it’s not “recommended“ and won’t perform as well as the correct width wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
UPDATE: the tire I was considering is the Toyo Proxes ST3; the Discount Tire website states 9.5" is the smallest recommended rim width. I figure .5" would probably work, but when I did further checking on Tirerack on other tires in 295/40-20, they all indicated 10" to be the minimum. I then checked the Toyo sight and like the others, it indicated 10" minimum. The 284/40 has 9.5" as it's smallest recommended, so I may go with that in the back.

#6 ·
10" is the narrowest recommended wheel width for a 295/40 (10"-12"). 285/40 (9.5"-11.0" )

A Guy

Reactions: RockanRoll
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.