Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI To all,
I am a brand spanking new owner, and member of a 2010 rt, 6 speed.
I have scored a fully loaded rt for peanuts during our blizzard here in Chicago last month, and I have absolute no regrets.
I have never owned a domestic car before, so everything is veeeeery new to me.
I have had my two weeks of getting over myself and allowing squeaks and rattles to just blend in with the radio... BUT and it is a big BUT, for me,
when shifting in and from the 2nd gear I hear a "rocking" rattle from my trans, it almost feels as one of the gears just rattles (not grinding) before its jammed back as i depressed the clutch, it only happens "in or from" the second it only is noticible when i am gentle and in slow traffic. its a feeling of "the gear or trans being rocked(?)"
I have no other problems whhaaaat sooooo ever, as a former honda-bmw-mercedes owner i can stand tall and say that my challenger is the best thAng :) evvvver, and it makes me feel like a little boy in his first car every time I sit in it.

thank you for your time and please feel free to tell me that that is a mopar noise or that i am just a bit too preppy for our retro beast and i have to get over myself.... ( my father has volunteered to rip my car apart all the time -since when driven hard the car seems to be loving every second of it-just to make me feel better)

·
Registered
57 Posts
hhmm,, must be a 'chicago and second gear' thing..
Having similar in that going into second 'normally'
almost sounds like a syncro problem.. Been that
way from day one...
Waiting till it gets better or worse... If it gets worse
then off to a dealer for fixin'...... :)

Where in Chicago do you live, Sparta...?

And welcome to CT ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a north side cruiser :)
and YES indeed it has been a constant rattle since the day one (i have 1800milles on it now)
i took it back to the dealer and was told that they did not hear or found anything unusual, thus I, too, am waiting for it to get worse...
I have actually mastered how to duplicate the sound over the weekend , which really only bruised my ego since now i hear it all the time...
where have you purchased yours?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Heyy spartacusRT,,
Purchased at Leman Dodge in Morton Illinois... Great deal and great people to deal with..
Have had it just a couple weeks now and only have about 330 miles on it...

Where did you get yours.. ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sherman dodge, skokie IL...
I really can not complain at all about the way I was treated, yet I do have to underline that I bought my car literally the day of the big blizzard we had here thus I believe they really were more interested in the deal then I was.
I never drove any other 6speed, and i am very curious if its a normal thing,
(mine is dark grey with two tone interior, what color is yours?)
right before I bought mine I was looking very seriously in to a MOPAR 10 (silver) that was 34.5 yet not so close to my residence, and the only reason why I bought mine, and I only went to test drive A challenger to see if I will even like them. i bought mine with 72miles for 29.8 and and had a great financing offer, thus I really am not complaining about aaaaaanything....
I just need to be more Dodge educated at this point.

(how often do you guys change your oil? )

·
Registered
57 Posts
2011,, 392 Inaugural Edition in blue... 48000$ minus trade in ...

Plus was close.. Was very specific about getting a certain option car..

DWB, Nav, Sunroof, Manual, F1, SRTll group ( a waste)..

Had 4 miles on it when we got there and 8 when we left.. :D
Would of only had 7 but my foor 'slipped' off da clutch at about 4000rpm... :D :D :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is a beautiful beast my friend

I hope you "slip" at least once a weak just for the good health :D

nevertheless, so your srt8 is having the same rocking sound huh?!
then I guess i am in good hands (maybe) taking in my car on wed for an oil change (2k) and will try to schedule a test drive with a mechanic....

will keep you posted how it goes (today i didnt hear it, but I almost never hear it when its very cold... very weird...

and no one seems to be aware of this thus I start to feel that I am just over hearing...

Please do post some pictures! I am still to see a 392! deep respect

(btw: do you fly?)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahah :D
two thumbs up my friend, I wish you many of those "slips"
I used to fly but for quite some time
I "glide" ( ;) )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not yet, it is on my MOD list.
do you think it could ease my pain?
I can only hear (almost feel) it when at very slow speed... 5-10mph and it is only when the clutch is depressed or pressed @ "in" or "out" the 2nd gear... its a rocking "clunk"

·
Registered
86 Posts
yes i do, looking at your original post you mentioned that at low speeds you have to "Jam" it into gear. Is this correct? does it try to force you in to 4th gear instead? your descriptions sounds exactly like what mine was doing and i hated it, i ordered the SSE, installed it in a few minutes and no more of that crap. id say go for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well
it does want to "slide over to the 4th" when shifting from 1st to 2nd, i just got used to shifting slower to allow it to "saddle" right in the middle and then i would just shift it down (takes a millisecond longer, and its like drawing a big "E") but my main concern is the rocking clunk noise (its not loud at all, nevertheless still there) that it makes...
my weekend project is your MOD... let you know how it goes, or if it eliminates the noise as well...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Spartacus hey! copngrats on your changeover! k this may saound silly but try it and see, shift from 1st to 3rd ( just in and ou then back to 2nd and see if it does that "clunk" still.does it do it if you mash the pedal in 1st and then shift to second?? i think major league is going the right direction here with your skip shift. my old 02SS-ls1 camaro used to do this to and it drove me nuts as well i solved it by always mashing the go pedal down a bit further when i was taking off from the dig.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you!
I am about to leave for a car wash and some friday night cruising and will do what you suggested and will keep you posted...
but
fyi :) this "clunk" is only noticeable when at very slow speed, and when shifting gently, such as low speed traffic, tight parking etc....
if i do dig in to any higher rpm then 2k and shift I do not feel or hear anything, thus if it was not for this little thing I could honestly so say that my RT is a much "funner" car then the AMG i traded in for it.
(i still love my purchase lets be clear on that too :D)

thank you for your .2$ ill be posting the results tonight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts