Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and only found complaints, no real solutions so I thought I would try as well. I have a '13 STP R/T 6spd and have noticed there has been an increase in the grinding of my 1st to 2nd shifts. Clutch is buried to the floor and this is the only gate that grinds.

I do not have the skip shift eliminator or Barton/Hurst shifter installed. Also, the clutch grabs just fine. Elim and Barton shifter are going in within two weeks.

I'm curious if anyone else is having or has had these issues and what, if anything, can be done to fix it. This issue has caused a few high RPM misses as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SteveWhite - have you guys seen this come through the shop at all? If so, what was the issue & remedy?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It could be a fatigued pressure plate spring. Do you hold the clutch down for extended periods of time? Like for a whole red light, etc.

It also, obviously could be a bad 1-2 synchronizer.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
It's just the way the TR-6060 is, especially when the trans is cold. Once you drive a few miles or so then it should shift smoothly into all gears. Just don't drive hard or shift quickly into 2nd before the trans has had a chance to warm up.

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be a fatigued pressure plate spring. Do you hold the clutch down for extended periods of time? Like for a whole red light, etc.

It also, obviously could be a bad 1-2 synchronizer.

My 2 cents.

Yes, I do occasionally hold the clutch down but I would think it would take longer than 30k miles to wear out a pressure plate. (Yep, 30k on. '13) thank you for the reply though

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yahoo - I do allow the car to warm to full operating temp before I really begin to bang on her but recently I've missed two second shifts at 5k+ rpm....

I know some will comment with "learn to drive" or something of the sort, please keep in mind I've been road racing for almost 20yrs and do have an "understanding" of shifting. ;-p

Thanks for all your help guys; this is why I love CT!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
If you have 30k more than likely you have serviced the trans but maybe drain the fluid and check for any metal or brass in the fluid, that would lead me to believe the 1- 2nd gear syncro has damage on the sleeve teeth or ring. Maybe even one of the detents but that should also affect 1st gear.

If its as bad as you say, my money is on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts